• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AirNostrumMAD

Highschool Uptown

14 posts in this topic

I didn't want to add this to the Misc. thread because the Misc. thread seems to have so many topics it becomes confusing.

Observer had an article about the push for a new magnet highschool that a community leader says would draw kids from all around the city using mass transit.

http://obsyourschools.blogspot.com/2015/02/could-high-school-come-to-uptown.html?m=1

There is a website called uptownhigh.com and they plan to start a petition soon. The CO article even mentioned that CMS has an appetite for an uptown school.

I would love, love, love, love a highschool uptown. It adds to the "Live" in "live, work, play." you can't have a proper community without basic concepts such as grocery stores and schools. To me, this would be one of the most exciting projects.

And don't read the CO comments. Some are advocating uptown is too crowded and if they want to build a school, tear down the panthers stadium, rebuild it off of I77 by Carowinds.......

3 people like this

And don't read the CO comments. Some are advocating uptown is too crowded and if they want to build a school, tear down the panthers stadium, rebuild it off of I77 by Carowinds.......

LOLOLOL

2 people like this

As much as I hate kids, I would love to have a High School downtown.  Adds tons of life.

As much as I hate kids, I would love to have a High School downtown.  Adds tons of life.

Does it really though? When I was in High School, I went to school, stayed in the building all day, then went home, not much life around the school if there's no track/field. St. Ignatius in Cleveland, surrounded by cool things, but it wasn't really the High School that added life.

Does it really though? When I was in High School, I went to school, stayed in the building all day, then went home, not much life around the school if there's no track/field. St. Ignatius in Cleveland, surrounded by cool things, but it wasn't really the High School that added life.

It's the surrounded by cool things that I mean.

20+ years ago there was a move to renovate the empty Iveys property on N tryon as a high school for the arts. There was a referendum for property acquisition and it failed quite handily. It later became a condo and retail project, much better than a school.

I believe that this is driven by uptown commercial forces for their own purposes. NO ONE could sustain this argument without their tacit support.

20+ years ago there was a move to renovate the empty Iveys property on N tryon as a high school for the arts. There was a referendum for property acquisition and it failed quite handily. It later became a condo and retail project, much better than a school.

I believe that this is driven by uptown commercial forces for their own purposes. NO ONE could sustain this argument without their tacit support.

I was thinking as a broader development deep in 1st or 2nd ward.

I always thought the lot next to First Presby on Trade would make an excellent location for a school.  When the VUE first came to town, that is the site they wanted, and they were throwing tons of money at securing it but failed.

Nothing would do more for urban urban growth in Charlotte than a well regarded high school for residents of uptown, Belmont, Optimist Park, Tryon Hills, Wesley Heights etc.

The block that holds First Ward elementary seems underutilized and could lead to nice partnerships with UNCC uptown.

1 person likes this

If land being too valueable for a highschool, aren't there institutions that could be combined and have an entrance for the highschool on a portion of a building and say 3 floors dedicated to the highschool?

If CPCC expands along thr gold line, maybe they could partner with CMS and split land or a building.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a highschool in Elizabeth or SouthEnd

It would be neat to have educational institutions connected by rail

If land being too valueable for a highschool, aren't there institutions that could be combined and have an entrance for the highschool on a portion of a building and say 3 floors dedicated to the highschool?

If CPCC expands along thr gold line, maybe they could partner with CMS and split land or a building.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a highschool in Elizabeth or SouthEnd

It would be neat to have educational institutions connected by rail

I wonder if the model of the early college STEM high school at UNCC-Main could be applied to a business/finance/economics magnet school at UNCC-Uptown, in which, students spend their high school years taking courses focused on business related disciplines, and would be admitted as students in the Belk College of Business as Juniors upon completion of the magnet program.

At any rate, the original post is correct.  A well-regarded high school in Uptown would certainly help to make it more attractive for families in search of more urban residences.

Edited by cltbwimob

I wonder if the model of the early college STEM high school at UNCC-Main could be applied to a business/finance/economics magnet school at UNCC-Uptown, in which, students spend their high school years taking courses focused on business related disciplines, and would be admitted as students in the Belk College of Business as Juniors upon completion of the magnet program.

At any rate, the original post is correct.  A well-regarded high school in Uptown would certainly help to make it more attractive for families in search of more urban residences.

I think this is a great idea.  I have heard (but don't remember where) that the UNCC uptown campus is pretty quiet during the day.  If they have a bunch of open classrooms that the uptown professionals are only using in the evenings, it would make sense for a magnet school to lease the space during the day. 

Nothing would do more for urban urban growth in Charlotte than a well regarded high school for residents of uptown, Belmont, Optimist Park, Tryon Hills, Wesley Heights etc.

The block that holds First Ward elementary seems underutilized and could lead to nice partnerships with UNCC uptown.

An elementary and middle school is a more immediate need for most Uptown residents.  Ashley Park K-8 is a non-starter for most families.

A potential high school was part of the 2020 plan, next to Metro School on Stonewall.

Develop New Educational Facilities. The potential should be explored for the Metro School and future new Second Ward High School, when new schools are needed, to share recreational facilities and parking. The high school should be developed at a relatively high density as part of a new academic and recreation campus. Opportunities should also be explored for adding offi ce and retail uses to help strengthen the links between the schools and the business community

Edited by WesleyHeightsWay

School Redistricting is on the agenda again for CMS:http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/editorials/article31129535.html among the bullet points for success from the Editorial staff:

Pull in other leaders. This is about more than schools. It’s ultimately about zoning issues, housing patterns, economic development. Get members of the City Council, county commission, suburban town councils and Charlotte Chamber around one table and ask what they’ll do to help.