Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

I always thought a full service grocer like Whole Foods made the most sense Uptown & this location is not only convenient to hoods close to Uptown but the freeway access could attract a wider range demo that might not want to drive to south Charlotte or Lake Norman

Edited by js4life

I always thought a full service grocer like Whole Foods made the most sense Uptown & this location is not only convenient to hoods close to Uptown but the freeway access could attract a wider range demo that might not want to drive to south Charlotte or Lake Norman

I wonder if the developer has put any consideration into creating an access point directly off of Stonewall Station?  Maybe off the side closest to the 277 ramp with direct access to the 2nd floor of the Whole Foods?  It'd be tough to swing it around Club Crush or whatever that place is, but it would make sense for transit riders as opposed to having to lug their way back up those stairs in the Westin.

I wonder if the developer has put any consideration into creating an access point directly off of Stonewall Station?  Maybe off the side closest to the 277 ramp with direct access to the 2nd floor of the Whole Foods?  It'd be tough to swing it around Club Crush or whatever that place is, but it would make sense for transit riders as opposed to having to lug their way back up those stairs in the Westin.

I think its called Caviar now hahahah, I have no idea how it is still open. I hope it goes away as part of this development. But I would have to imagine they have considered and planned for a connection, it's too valuable not to.

Holy... Cow....

I can't even begin to say how freaking exciting this is!!!!! High quality, well known retail that will draw people to uptown who may not have considered it! Not only that, I'm sure people will want to live near it so again it encourages density! And hopefully his will be a catalyst like Romare was for 3rd ward (to a smaller degree).

Wooohooooo. This is a huge, huge step for the uptown retail scene. I know it's a grocer, but it's certainly a feather in the cap to draw other retailers. I can't believe it!

Looks like Whole Foods has been confirmed by Charlotte Restaurant Traffic:  http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/whole-foods-coming-uptown/#.VNn4efnF91A

I love that something we predicted a year or so ago has come true!!!! WOOO!

Now we just need Belk to confirm their Rumored Express Store at Tryon Place. 

Side Note: Supposedly Lidl is still eyeing an uptown store, ideally Tryon Place for them, we will see if it happens. I don't think it will. 

I, and others, think that Club Crush will eventually become a Westin Expansion.

Holy... Cow....

I can't even begin to say how freaking exciting this is!!!!! High quality, well known retail that will draw people to uptown who may not have considered it! Not only that, I'm sure people will want to live near it so again it encourages density! And hopefully his will be a catalyst like Romare was for 3rd ward (to a smaller degree).

Wooohooooo. This is a huge, huge step for the uptown retail scene. I know it's a grocer, but it's certainly a feather in the cap to draw other retailers. I can't believe it!

I really think Whole Foods will drive Leasing at Crescent Stonewall to a fever pitch. Even if we experience overbuilding.

Edited by Guest

^I think whole foods and the first phase with the resi will be at the hard corner of Stonewall and Caldwell and only extend to the signal at Brevard, with everything between Brevard and the light rail being reserved for the future phase. 

I believe this is correct.  I was surprised there was no hotel included in the plans in Accela, but I do think that goes where the club currently is in a 2nd phase.

I'm curious to see the site plan, which it sounds like might be released by Crescent in the next 1-2 weeks (I'm guessing they are waiting on Whole Foods to confirm the store tomorrow).  Rooftop seating makes it sound like this isn't ground floor retail, which is a little disappointing if all 47k sq ft take up > acre of this land for a single-story building. 

Regardless, 440 units is pretty massive, and no matter how they stack it, would be much higher than 20 stories, and likely > 30 stories.  It almost certainly would be the tallest building east of the LRT, which is a nice migration of the skyline.

Edit:  The great thing about it being Whole Foods (aside from the obvious that most people want more grocery and WF is a desirable chain) is that Crescent and its lenders are probably willing to underwrite top of the market rents for the apartments given the WF is considered a premium amenity for the development.  This means the quality of the apartment tower itself should be really nice and maybe architecturally more interesting than most things going up.  Finally, a long term lease with WF should make financing easier.  I'm usually a downer on retail being financed, but Whole Foods is considered "Investment Grade" tenant to a lender, who would view their inclusion as a positive rather than a negative.

• Like 3

I believe this is correct. I was surprised there was no hotel included in the plans in Accela, but I do think that goes where the club currently is in a 2nd phase.

I'm curious to see the site plan, which it sounds like might be released by Crescent in the next 1-2 weeks (I'm guessing they are waiting on Whole Foods to confirm the store tomorrow). Rooftop seating makes it sound like this isn't ground floor retail, which is a little disappointing if all 47k sq ft take up > acre of this land for a single-story building.

Regardless, 440 units is pretty massive, and no matter how they stack it, would be much higher than 20 stories, and likely > 30 stories. It almost certainly would be the tallest building east of the LRT, which is a nice migration of the skyline.

I think the 440 units is split between a Highrise and midrise.

I hope this project doesn't come at the expense of Bearden & Mint Tower

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^I swear, y'all are some stone cold development ninjas to find the rumors and predict this almost to a T. I'll never doubt y'all again. Respect.

I'm incredibly excited for this, though I have a question about its impact. I believe a few months back it was discussed about the possibility of a Publix getting built across uptown on the Skyhouse site. With Whole Foods confirmed and Crescent kind of beating them to the punch, would the rumored Publix be delayed/postponed/canceled? Does this store have the power to dissuade other grocers in uptown for the moment or awhile? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm not that knowledgeable in development planning.

P.S. Feel free to move to the appropriate thread if this is too off topic.

^I swear, y'all are some stone cold development ninjas to find the rumors and predict this almost to a T. I'll never doubt y'all again. Respect.

I'm incredibly excited for this, though I have a question about its impact. I believe a few months back it was discussed about the possibility of a Publix getting built across uptown on the Skyhouse site. With Whole Foods confirmed and Crescent kind of beating them to the punch, would the rumored Publix be delayed/postponed/canceled? Does this store have the power to dissuade other grocers in uptown for the moment or awhile? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm not that knowledgeable in development planning.

I think the two are far enough apart from one another that they shouldn't greatly impact each other.  If Skyhouse 2 goes up along with development we've been promised in Levine Land, the residents there, along with those in say, Brightwalk, are consistently going to choose Publix over walking/driving to the other side of uptown.  It's still a good mile apart.

I don't think it will persuade shoppers from Publix. They really appeal to two different demographic areas.

I believe this is correct.  I was surprised there was no hotel included in the plans in Accela, but I do think that goes where the club currently is in a 2nd phase.

I'm curious to see the site plan, which it sounds like might be released by Crescent in the next 1-2 weeks (I'm guessing they are waiting on Whole Foods to confirm the store tomorrow).  Rooftop seating makes it sound like this isn't ground floor retail, which is a little disappointing if all 47k sq ft take up > acre of this land for a single-story building. 

It should be noted that Whole Foods Sharon Square is only 39k sq feet of retail. I don't think the 47k retail will be fully used for whole foods, I suspect we see a 32k sq foot Whole Foods on multiple levels and 15k sq feet of additional street level retail.

I think the 440 units is split between a Highrise and midrise.

I hope this project doesn't come at the expense of Bearden & Mint Tower

It won't come at the expense of either, both are about to start construction, and Mint has a leg up on the rest.

^^^I doubt Publix is looking to build a 40,000 plus sq ft store, especially with their SouthEnd location fairly close . Their Uptown store will be more like the Teeter in 4th ward.

Publix is looking at developing around 28-32k sq foot, despite Grubb's desires for 55k. Its pretty much a done deal from what I've heard.

Edited by Guest

Question; With the MASSIVE influx of apartments, its been previously stated, the Mint Museum apartments are being built a little "larger" could it be possibly that those are converted to condos? Given the market, I think I personally think that makes sense, or least they should be open to the possibility of doing that.

Question; With the MASSIVE influx of apartments, its been previously stated, the Mint Museum apartments are being built a little "larger" could it be possibly that those are converted to condos? Given the market, I think I personally think that makes sense, or least they should be open to the possibility of doing that.

I personally believe that Mint Museum ones will be converted at some point, and i wouldn't doubt if The Bearden was too. 

I personally believe that Mint Museum ones will be converted at some point, and i wouldn't doubt if The Bearden was too. 

Yeah, that makes sense to me....also Biz Journal picked up on the story

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/02/whole-foods-to-open-store-in-uptown-charlotte.html

^^guess we'll have to wait for the official announcement but sounds like they are building a flag ship level store. If so does Crescent add retail to other latter phases?

I really could be wrong, but I don't think we get a 47k sq foot store. I think it will be smaller and Urban Model plus additional ground floor retail. I hope I'm right.