Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

7 minutes ago, jednc said:

I know you're looking for a picture, but I can at least say that driving by the 277 side on Sunday before the game there is significant progress on that side. Somehow that doesn't show up so well on the pics from the Observer (Mr. Portillo).

Yea. Its because the parking deck for the tower itself goes 7 additional stories above the bulk of the large deck that serves the rest of the complex, whole foods, whole body, and the midrise apartment sections. The midrise apartments then wrap the taller parking deck in sort of an H arrangement with a Triangle tapering to a point along the 277 on ramp. Its such a complicated site. It took me a while to figure it out.

• 1 month later...

Screen-Shot-2016-11-04-at-4.31.01-PM.jpg

Never really thought about it, but for the bulk of the apartments at Crescent Stonewall Station its going to be a tough place to live if you are planning on walking. Placement of elevators are totally more friendly for those who are entering from the parking deck. If you are entering from the street, you will have to go into the lobby and then snake your way around the world just to get to your apartment. However, if you get around by Car, you are golden. The Lobby elevators only really seems to conveniently serve about 160 of 450 apartments. Five Elevators randomly spaced seems like a lot for probably 600+ residents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slightly updated view of Crescent Stonewall Station. New pattern on the screening, still confused on how they will transition from transit platform to the public plaza. Seems like there is currently an 8 foot gap. The plans show 6 stairs... Seems like it'd require an entire flight of stairs. 

132.jpg

139.jpg

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

The elevations for the Home2Suites are now on Accela.

Bleh....9 stories of stucco.  Metal accents, and brick first floor.  It looks like a 9-story version of their typical suburban product. 

Good news is that there is substantial retail fronting all the way down Stonewall.  The hotel drive/drop-off is off an internal ally off of Caldwell.

Height to the top of the roof is 122', and looks like maybe 130' to the top of the mechanicals.

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

The elevations for the Home2Suites are now on Accela.

Bleh....9 stories of stucco.  Metal accents, and brick first floor.  It looks like a 9-story version of their typical suburban product. 

Good news is that there is substantial retail fronting all the way down Stonewall.  The hotel drive/drop-off is off an internal ally off of Caldwell.

Height to the top of the roof is 122', and looks like maybe 130' to the top of the mechanicals.

~15k of retail in fact. The street/ped scape is actually excellent. It's just the rest of the building that is garbage. 

8 hours ago, JBS said:

Remember when we thought Crescent were the good guys???

To be fair, Crescent doesn't have much of anything to do with the hotel, they're essentially just leasing out the land. They could have significant say, sure, but they are more focused on Stonewall Station, which is a top to bottom great project. 

24 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

To be fair, Crescent doesn't have much of anything to do with the hotel, they're essentially just leasing out the land. They could have significant say, sure, but they are more focused on Stonewall Station, which is a top to bottom great project. 

They own the land and are developing the rest of the project on the land.  They could easily have required minimum design standards.  I don't think it is at all unfair to hold them accountable for a poor design that they are allowing on their land...

33 minutes ago, JBS said:

They own the land and are developing the rest of the project on the land.  They could easily have required minimum design standards.  I don't think it is at all unfair to hold them accountable for a poor design that they are allowing on their land...

Per Polaris, the people developing the Hotel own the land. Sadly Home2Suites has a set "Style Guide" for their hotels, which this will be following, save for one big important detail, 7/8 of its footprint will be retail. 

This is their standard design nationwide.

5088371_21_z.jpg

Edited by Guest

I've certainly seen worse, but I actually think as far as Home2Suites "style guide" goes this isn't bad. The two most offensive sides, 277 and stonewall station facing will not be viewable. The extremely minimal amount of lobby, the fact that the guest drop off area is tucked away from the bulk of the building and a kick ass amount of retail, makes this project not so bad. The last remaining parcel is even smaller than this one, so we should get a slightly taller hotel on that lot, maybe 12-15 floors.

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.53.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.53.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.54.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.54.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.56.48 AM.png

Thanks for the clarification.  I based my "ownership" comment on a prior poster.  Nonetheless, I ultimately blame Crescent if this looks awful.

That said, this doesn't look totally awful (unlike their standard design which looks like a dorm, circa 1980).  It looks better than the nearby Embassy Suites (damning with faint praise...).  

I have stayed at a Home2Suites in Mississippi of all places and loved it. The rooms are huge and less expensive than other suite hotels like Residence Inn. They have a nice open lobby with large high top table for their breakfast which is really good and looks more like Aloft setup. Since this hotel is kinda behind the apartments I am not worried about the franchise look it as it adds some variety to the fabric of the skyline. (And it is not as bad as the prominent general hospital aka Embassy Suites across from the NASCAR hall of fame)   Any word on the 2nd hotel and financing for hotels is getting tougher and tougher now.?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 11:21 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Slightly updated view of Crescent Stonewall Station. New pattern on the screening, still confused on how they will transition from transit platform to the public plaza. Seems like there is currently an 8 foot gap. The plans show 6 stairs... Seems like it'd require an entire flight of stairs. 

132.jpg

139.jpg

The architecture of this thing sucks.  The brick looks cheap, and the iron balconies look like crap.  The real Achilles Heel, though, is that ridiculous, black and white patterned strip.

• Like 1