Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

19 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

The architecture of this thing sucks.  The brick looks cheap, and the iron balconies look like crap.  The real Achilles Heel, though, is that ridiculous, black and white patterned strip.

The patterned strip is a place holder. They ASC and Crescent are commissioning an artist, and have one selected. From what i understand it'll be the biggest public art project in the history of Charlotte. 

1 minute ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

That's great news.  That being said, I don't think that a mural will look good there either.

Agreed. Personally I would have preferred an architectural facade that matched the rest of the building. Its a $2M art grant for the mural, gotta wonder how much a facade would cost. 

Edited by Guest

Bit of history on the Stonewall station platform. During the construction of the Westin this included the parking deck, now with the new structure, and also the light rail station platform. Engineering was provided to make this platform so that the light rail car would be at the proper height so patrons can step on and off with no change of elevation. When the platform was complete it was too high providing a trip hazard. Perhaps it was the rail bed that was too low. In any case it was not consistent with requirements. As the trolley continued to operate this was of no consequence since the trolley was designed to run in the street and one stepped down and off the car and not directly out onto a platform. A recalculation and some additional work was necessary to refit the platform to the LRT as work on the line continued elsewhere. I must add that this was what I was told as a trolley operator independent of CATS and later conductor of the trolley and supported by CATS, all during 02-08.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Good eye KJH, those units are horribly close to the platform. A resident paying what those units are gonna cost is going to LOVE opening their blinds only to be eye to eye with a complete stranger waiting for the train. Maybe they'll be smart and make that level the gym or something.

It's really no different than any apartment building built along the line in southend. Specifically near bland street station. At the bland st station, the only thing between the platform and the apartment is a sidewalk. I personally don't mind that and the ppl looking to rent there know that and it's probably a pro to them the proximity. 

• Like 1

It is sort of like a ground floor apartment along South Blvd I guess but I would never want it. I was face to face with a guy framing inside one of those apartments and they seem to be all apartments facing the station platform. Not for me but again I would think these are not their prime units (these will rent for a little less than some with others with views) 

• Like 1

When the light rail began in '07 the existing units along the line were few. The protocol for the LRT was to signal each street crossing with a warning bell or toot of horn. This is SOP for rail vehicles of all kinds everywhere. The residents were astounded that their units at a rail line would have a rail vehicle accompaniment, starting at 5:30 a. m. and they complained. There was a compromise reached and they no longer have to jump when a train passes. People have been divorced from rail experiences for so long they cannot imagine what it entails. Noise, vibration, human activity, movement, electrical fields, these and more are easily determined with one's own senses, including common sense, the most unusual sense of all, sadly.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2365a7776e87f51654f22e02418c5a54.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dude, the hotels can't start soon enough. Hate the tiny tower stuck on the massive base, the only thing that might soften it is the hotels. If I was a architect, I'd figure out a way to make every big block look like 4 buildings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk