Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Hey at least the Home2Suites will block some of the parking deck view. 

Yes, but whats going to block our view from this monstrosity? 

58b6f43cf0b4a_ScreenShot2017-03-01at11_17_46AM.thumb.png.6eb101c7c3a7719fc074bf31b2b41abf.png

Edited by Guest
Shoudn't post the rendering...

2 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I think it's a lovely project. It actually should be a standard of good development in Charlotte. Much better than the Mint or The apartments on Graham. Addresses the street better than Element. 

Etc 

I Disagree 100% I hope nobody builds anything like Stonewall Station again. If I was going to pick a gold standard for development in Charlotte it probably wouldn't exist, but the closest would be the combination between Sky House and 10Tryon, because they split up massive block with distinct uses. 

Here's what I think about Stonewall Station.

Pro's: 
• Transit Integration
• The Public Art grant thats coming its way
• Retail Integration
• Amount of Residences
• Adds much needed Full Size Grocery
• Hotel lobby will not be on a prominent corner.

Con's:
• Parking Deck is 1.5 floors taller than the Stick built aspect and I'm not sure Art is the best way to screen it.
• the Scale/proportions is too massive, its like a skinny girl with a world record shattering hips/butt. Just looks weird.
• Its a super block, see previous
• Its a super block
• It looks unnavigable, from the non-stonewall facing units it'll be easily a 10 minute walk just to get to the street, vs a 2 minute walk to your car.
• The Design has gotten progressively uglier
• 1/3 of the site will be dedicated to the hotels but they might as well connect, the walls facing each other are blank and will loom over the lightless service alleys. 
• way too many parking spaces for a building sitting on a transit station

47 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its like a skinny girl with a world record shattering hips/butt

Generally how I described Ascent (which BTW I'm liking more and more every day despite the garage).

I understand your concerns but I remain very optimistic on this project overall.  Personally, I wouldn't view Skyhouse as anything close to a gold standard (I get your reasoning, just not a fan of the design of the buildings and the big garage, even with retail fronting it).  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I Disagree 100% I hope nobody builds anything like Stonewall Station again. If I was going to pick a gold standard for development in Charlotte it probably wouldn't exist, but the closest would be the combination between Sky House and 10Tryon, because they split up massive block with distinct uses. 

Here's what I think about Stonewall Station.

Pro's: 
• Transit Integration
• The Public Art grant thats coming its way
• Retail Integration
• Amount of Residences
• Adds much needed Full Size Grocery
• Hotel lobby will not be on a prominent corner.

Con's:
• Parking Deck is 1.5 floors taller than the Stick built aspect and I'm not sure Art is the best way to screen it.
• the Scale/proportions is too massive, its like a skinny girl with a world record shattering hips/butt. Just looks weird.
• Its a super block, see previous
• Its a super block
• It looks unnavigable, from the non-stonewall facing units it'll be easily a 10 minute walk just to get to the street, vs a 2 minute walk to your car.
• The Design has gotten progressively uglier
• 1/3 of the site will be dedicated to the hotels but they might as well connect, the walls facing each other are blank and will loom over the lightless service alleys. 
• way too many parking spaces for a building sitting on a transit station

I guess I didn't realize how massive that parking deck is. As you said, it's way too many parking spaces for being connected to a transit station. Blows my mind how we have a light rail system that goes right through uptown (plus streetcar) and developers can't help themselves when it comes to building these massive parking structures over and over. I just hope that mural is something worth noticing. Because the hotels obviously give you nothing to be distract you with their lack of glorious imagination and size.. 

Just now, JBS said:

Personally, I wouldn't view Skyhouse as anything close to a gold standard (I get your reasoning, just not a fan of the design of the buildings and the big garage, even with retail fronting it).  

Agreed. I just think its the closest. Sad ain't it? There has yet to be a gold standard in Charlotte, a city with a "Superblock Obsession" 

As ugly as the upper floors of the Home2Suites are probably going to look, it looks like it has an at least above-average street level. 

I agree about the silliness of the loooong walk that some of those units will have to the street, but considering this buts up to a highway I'm not sure what could be realistically done about that. I am still overall very positive on this project, and the materials/execution is going to have to suck real bad for it to compare to the other developments I complain about. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nonillogical said:

As ugly as the upper floors of the Home2Suites are probably going to look, it looks like it has an at least above-average street level. 

I agree about the silliness of the loooong walk that some of those units will have to the street, but considering this buts up to a highway I'm not sure what could be realistically done about that. I am still overall very positive on this project, and the materials/execution is going to have to suck real bad for it to compare to the other developments I complain about. 

Home2Suites looks to me like its being made by a company that cares about the street presence but has to follow a set style guide for the rest. Its a shame, not sure who established Home2Suites design aesthetic but even their New York City buildings are ugly.

While I agree there probably isn't a true gold in Charlotte, I would argue The Avenue is the closest. The retail is solid, the architecture is attractive, and the parking is well-masked. Most people don't have any idea the first 6-8 floors (or whatever) are only parking.
edit: It occurs to me that if the discussion is superblock-only, then I suggest Gateway Village as the best available 

I agree. While reading the previous comments my mind went instantly to Avenue. There are few bits of that building to dispute. Sure, NO parking (and its subsequent entrances) would be optimal; but that's just not realistic in Charlotte. We just aren't there as a city yet. It is a sad expectation for current developers based on the competition in Uptown at the moment.

Avenue's lobby isn't intrusive, the convenience store/deli storefront is handy, and the smells coming from Basil make walking that stretch of 5th worth it every time. My biggest complaint about that project has nothing to do with the Avenue itself and more to do with its surroundings: the sidewalk cut when you get to Dandelion Market on 5th is awful. It's barely passable when walking with someone else.

On Topic: I don't mind a skinny tower sitting on a "badonkadonk" deck (see: The Westin.) Is it perfect? Heavens no, but IMO this development has the right type of presence for its location. I'd call it Goldilocks-sized. Yes, the amount of parking truly is unforgivable; but as for the superblock complaint, splitting up this block would have been difficult and probably cost prohibitive given the light rail, 277, and the South Blvd turn lane-to-interstate on ramp aren't exactly the best framework for a grid to be built upon.
  • Like 1

My friend took this stopped at the light today. 
IMG_2567.thumb.jpg.ad153b31eceebc54220a1407312f4d9a.jpg

I'll admit, she's growing into her ass as she gets taller.
Still think it looks weird though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When this is finished, I think it will be viewed as one of the best projects ever in Uptown Charlotte simply because of the WF and residential and the activity they bring.  Not perfect but transformational.  I also think that the adjacent retail and office projects were much less likely without this project.  Perhaps I'm wrong...

8 minutes ago, JBS said:

When this is finished, I think it will be viewed as one of the best projects ever in Uptown Charlotte simply because of the WF and residential and the activity they bring.  Not perfect but transformational.  I also think that the adjacent retail and office projects were much less likely without this project.  Perhaps I'm wrong...

At the end, it all comes down to the street level

• Like 3