Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

From the CBJ story: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/02/whole-foods-to-open-store-in-uptown-charlotte.html?ana=e_clt_bn_newsalert&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1423584977

The grocer will open a free-standing 47,000-square-foot store at the project Crescent is planning on the south side of Stonewall Street, between South Caldwell Street and The Westin Charlotte, real estate sources confirm.

Free standing? Gross.

What's wrong with that? I guess I'm not sure how else it could integrate in the project

What's wrong with that? I guess I'm not sure how else it could integrate in the project

Like so: 

article-2472472-18EA763D00000578-748_634

15406_image_1.400x390.jpg

24D7i74ZyXIG_760x520.jpg

I have a hard time believing it will be 100% freestanding. Thats not really part of Whole Food's Urban Model. 

Edit: Although I must admit the Whole Foods in my neighborhood is freestanding. Except for the Guilded Aged mansion on the property. 

WholeFoods.jpg

But its awesome because it has a 30k sq foot greenhouse on top where they grow all their own veggies.

Edited by Guest

Maybe it will be free standing between the two residential buildings and parking deck in back? That wouldn't be bad

I'm absolutely not buying into it being freestanding, its completely against Whole Foods Urban Model. This is how I think the massing will be. Please note that the parcel tapers towards the westin because of the 277 on ramp.

Click on picture below

post-17104-0-38775800-1423591364_thumb.j

• Two Floors Subterranean parking, One floor above ground. 

• First Floor 3 Retail Spaces, Shared Lobby for Midrise and Highrise apartments, plus a Lobby for Whole foods where there will be escalator and elevator. 

• Next two floors will be Whole foods, the top floor will have a setback with The "rooftop deck" which will be more like a patio. 

• On top of that there will be 4 floors residential. 100 units Appx. 

• Facing Caldwell will be a 23-25 floor building with 340 units. 

Edited by Guest

Like so: 

article-2472472-18EA763D00000578-748_634

15406_image_1.400x390.jpg

24D7i74ZyXIG_760x520.jpg

I have a hard time believing it will be 100% freestanding. Thats not really part of Whole Food's Urban Model. 

Edit: Although I must admit the Whole Foods in my neighborhood is freestanding. Except for the Guilded Aged mansion on the property. 

WholeFoods.jpg

But its awesome because it has a 30k sq foot greenhouse on top where they grow all their own veggies.

I see the Whole Foods near my apartment.  It's also interesting how the Whole Foods in urban spaces operate.  The Whole Foods in Union Sq New York is constantly busy because of the hot bar, and the seating area is always packed.  Not to mention just down the street is a Trader Joe's that is just as busy. This is going to be a boon for the lunch crowd as well. 

• Like 1

^I swear, y'all are some stone cold development ninjas to find the rumors and predict this almost to a T. I'll never doubt y'all again. Respect.

I'm incredibly excited for this, though I have a question about its impact. I believe a few months back it was discussed about the possibility of a Publix getting built across uptown on the Skyhouse site. With Whole Foods confirmed and Crescent kind of beating them to the punch, would the rumored Publix be delayed/postponed/canceled? Does this store have the power to dissuade other grocers in uptown for the moment or awhile? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm not that knowledgeable in development planning.

P.S. Feel free to move to the appropriate thread if this is too off topic.

I think the two are far enough apart from one another that they shouldn't greatly impact each other.  If Skyhouse 2 goes up along with development we've been promised in Levine Land, the residents there, along with those in say, Brightwalk, are consistently going to choose Publix over walking/driving to the other side of uptown.  It's still a good mile apart.

I agree. The WF location itself is not really all that convenient to the current residential population in uptown - unless they are driving. I probably won't ever go unless I happen to be driving in from south Charlotte somewhere since I can easily walk to HT. The hypothetical Publix on N Tryon would be much more convenient for 1st and 4th Ward residents.

I'm hoping that the city's urban review process will result in something more dense though. I question the logic behind any new freestanding single use building in uptown (ie: Ruth's Chris) in this era of development.

I agree. The WF location itself is not really all that convenient to the current residential population in uptown - unless they are driving. I probably won't ever go unless I happen to be driving in from south Charlotte somewhere since I can easily walk to HT. The hypothetical Publix on N Tryon would be much more convenient for 1st and 4th Ward residents.

I'm hoping that the city's urban review process will result in something more dense though. I question the logic behind any new freestanding single use building in uptown (ie: Ruth's Chris) in this era of development.

I really don't think it will be stand alone. It just doesn't match Whole Foods Urban Model. The vast majority of their urban stores are draped in multifamily and other retail. Plus after they see my massing diagram, they will agree and change their plans ;-).

Edited by Guest

I really don't think it will be stand alone. It just doesn't match Whole Foods Urban Model. The vast majority of their urban stores are draped in multifamily and other retail. Plus after they see my massing diagram, they will agree and change their plans ;-).

How could they not!

How could they not!

Then again, I was astounded to see that Publix Southend was standalone. I just think, with the description of the project. Highrise & Midrise with a Publix, that the high-rise is side loaded to Caldwell, and the Wholefoods with Midrise on top faces Stonewall. I guess we shall see eventually. 

I bet they developed that parcel so as to insure their residents always have a view. 

Sunlight is also a factor.   The Ruth Chris allows the buildings on both sides to have light come into their windows.  

I am unclear on the Whole Foods layout, but obviously there are considerations, and honestly, with this being 2nd Ward, where there is a lot of development room, It will be a big help.

It is odd to me, though, that this is the site that draws the WF versus so many others.  I know they wanted the freeway and SouthEnd and LRT access, but it is funny to me that it is not going closer to where there is more residential density and potential.   

It will help 2nd Ward, though, especially the other city parcels along 277.  

It is odd to me, though, that this is the site that draws the WF versus so many others.  I know they wanted the freeway and SouthEnd and LRT access, but it is funny to me that it is not going closer to where there is more residential density and potential.  

If you build a Whole Foods, they will go to Whole Foods.....

• Like 1

Sunlight is also a factor.   The Ruth Chris allows the buildings on both sides to have light come into their windows.  

I am unclear on the Whole Foods layout, but obviously there are considerations, and honestly, with this being 2nd Ward, where there is a lot of development room, It will be a big help.

It will help 2nd Ward, though, especially the other city parcels along 277.  

Very easy answer. Something that is a big selling point to all of the developments in that area. The same reason retail centers back up to so many highways. Their signage will be seen by the Hundreds of Thousands of people that drive down 277 every single day. 

Yeah....I don't think uptown residential population within 4 blocks was even a blip on their things to consider, relative to how many people > $80k income are there within a 5 minute drive.

To that end, its a pretty symbiotic relationship between WF and Crescent.....Crescent really needs a premier anchor to justify the rents to do the density they would want this far detached from the rest of the Uptown residential population/amenities, and Whole Foods really wanted that visibility and the fact it is outbound for Stonewall (which is barely a detour for people heading out Providence) and South Blvd, so easy ingress/egress.

Proximity to LRT and 440 adjancet units are nice things for news articles and glossy brochures, but pretty irrelevent to why Whole Foods would want this parcel.