Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

2 hours ago, CLTranspo said:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article179561076.html

this sounds promising! One pro among the more obvious cons of building gigantic parking decks along the light rail

I hope it looks nice. For some reason, all I can imagine is pinwheels cut from soda cans or something incredibly bland.

Side note: I have long wished they'd paint replicas or something resembling Romare Bearden's art on the Charlotte Chamber parking deck facing that park.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2017 at 8:11 PM, KulBC said:

& 50 Shades of Beige continues...

IMG_5364.jpg

I quite literally hate this building. This is turning out just as badly as I imagined. Its a building of awkward elbows, elevations and overall design. Its an atrocity. I hate superblocks and this is quiet easily the worst offender of a superblock in city history. I don't think a fancy installation can save it.

• I don't think it needed a 1,350 space deck, and even if it did, just bury 3 floors worth the size of the entire site. It gives you so much for flexibility with the site. They could have had their 500 apartments, 90,000 of retail, and 300 hotel rooms, and then way more public space facing stonewall, in addition to the transit plaza. Who else in the country tries to throw all these uses into a massive stick built structure with a small concrete appendage grafted on.
• They proportion of this building is just so ominous and foreboding in stature. Not enough of the building is going to be hidden by equally as ugly hotels. Its just quite simply the worst high rise project in Charlotte history.
• This will be one of the hardest to navigate buildings out there. If you are driving its easy to get to your apartment, if you are walking you have to take dozens of twists and turns, unless you are in the high rise. 
• Its so popular to make fun of things for being beige in Charlotte. Its been written about by every single media outlet in Charlotte, and is all over social media. How can you be so out of touch to just go ahead and make the building beige despite every metric telling you otherwise. I'm starting to wonder if a local company accidentally made 4000% too much beige and is having to sell it at 5 cents on the dollar.

I could continue this rant but I wont. Sorry to my friends at Crescent that will surely read this.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:19 PM, KJHburg said:

Forgot I took these on Monday.  Still a great project no matter what shade of beige it is.  This was an old nightclub site and parking lot. 

RIP Club Crush...the days before the Epicentre was even built lol.  The project does look a little better in person imo, along with its sheer presence from 277/stonewall.  I personally would like it a lot better (also think it would fix the stubby look of the project) if the tower portion was at least 8-10 stories taller.  But to RDF's point of the parking deck...is the deck that big bc it will be supporting both hotels (along with Whole foods and all the apartments)?  

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I personally like it a lot. Just the front portion of the high rise doesn’t look stellar but you’re not going to notice at all in person unless looking at it from Hornets stadium 

You like it from South End:-o???

59 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

RIP Club Crush...the days before the Epicentre was even built lol.  The project does look a little better in person imo, along with its sheer presence from 277/stonewall.  I personally would like it a lot better (also think it would fix the stubby look of the project) if the tower portion was at least 8-10 stories taller.  But to RDF's point of the parking deck...is the deck that big bc it will be supporting both hotels (along with Whole foods and all the apartments)?  

Its that big because of Whole Foods for the most part.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Have we seen examples in the US of parking garages being converted into anything other than ground floor retail?

Err, not that I know of. I have seen several examples of garages being built recently with a future conversion in mind. I doubt our developers have that foresight though (which makes no sense to me). Inclined floors complicate things quite a bit I imagine... Necessity is the mother of invention though. Something will be done. 

• Like 1

It does look a little better in person. That picture makes it look like some sinister, broke down torture facility. I definitely wish it had more color. Makes me wonder what kind of conversations these people are having about their developments. Perhaps they shouldn't be permitted to build in the community if they're not going to listen to and enhance the community. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You like it from South End:-o???

It looks awesome from South End and it looks great coming on from 277.  Its just the front portion of the upper tower portion I have a problem with. 

(The worst offender in uptown has to be the back of Trademark for one of the worst buildings built recently)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

It looks awesome from South End and it looks great coming on from 277.  Its just the front portion of the upper tower portion I have a problem with. 

(The worst offender in uptown has to be the back of Trademark for one of the worst buildings built recently)

Down there this weekend, it's big.  I don't have a problem with it but a different color scheme would've nice or solid brick.  Is there a law against using brick in uptown?   I have to agree with the elodrvt guy, Charlotte seems a bit loose with allowing suburban type designs in uptown, especially some of the hotels, however the office buildings seemingly have received better treatment which is a glaring difference.  Uptown should be sacred ground no matter if it takes 100 years to replace urban renewal.   And allowing shoddy backsides on buildings like Trademark should be banned.  I don't think this would've been allowed in Durham, Gboro, Raleigh or Winston.  

I like the way that one side abuts the train station, that's cool and definitely big cityish.  Lol, all that negativity but on a positive note, it's creating density and creating additional vibrancy uptown which is more important than nitpicking about design flaws.  If the city gets dense enough, I don't think anyone will care in 25-30 years.  

I like that big thing though....maybe black and silver (panthers) or hornets green, I'd gone for that look. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Have we seen examples in the US of parking garages being converted into anything other than ground floor retail?

In a student thesis. Does that count?

Garages have super-deep floor plates (read: no access to daylight), are often mostly sloped, have column grids that are difficult to adapt to human use, and would require structural upgrades to be used as industrial or warehouse space. It's like when a garage is converted into a bonus room at a house. You always know it was a garage to begin with. 

• Like 2

Walking from Dilworth to the Auto Show at the Convention Center: The hotel area for Stonewall Center. Waste pipes? Fire Supply?

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.12e9339709330efdba8a8a401981ecf4.JPG

This is the Stonewall facade and I rather like the wood(?) siding. It appeals to my eye and is different that any other building. This siding is above the street entrance and below the brown brick of the residences.

IMG_0377.thumb.JPG.c700cc6e5898ce495ea9938dcf3c79ec.JPG

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Walking from Dilworth to the Auto Show at the Convention Center: The hotel area for Stonewall Center. Waste pipes? Fire Supply?

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.12e9339709330efdba8a8a401981ecf4.JPG

This is the Stonewall facade and I rather like the wood(?) siding. It appeals to my eye and is different that any other building. This siding is above the street entrance and below the brown brick of the residences.

IMG_0377.thumb.JPG.c700cc6e5898ce495ea9938dcf3c79ec.JPG

okay. I need to walk by this weekend when I'm in town. All I see detail-free blank facades. yuck. Need to see in person before I make any more judges.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

okay. I need to walk by this weekend when I'm in town. All I see detail-free blank facades. yuck. Need to see in person before I make any more judges.

That's where the giant big box store signs go. 

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

I thiiiiink what you're seeing are caissons for building foundations. Basically they stick a tube in the earth then fill it with concrete. It's a little hard to tell in the photo, though. 

• Thanks 1