Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

7 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

^^^Nothing like the view of the back of a Coke machine for a mere $1,200/mo.

Looking at the floor plans and matching up the facade of the building, it looks like those are one bedroom units which means those units start at over $1,500.  Yikes.  But what's really alarming are the penthouse prices.  $7,500 / month, $9,032 / month, and $15,037 / month.

Edited by AP3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AP3 said:

I was waiting for an outbound train last week at the stop and assumed there was a path connected to the apartments on the other side of the railing allowing for direct access.  It could be appealing having direct access from an apartment right there, but now that it's not connected it's just odd.  They should have made this area amenity space or retail fronting the station, with direct access to the station.   What a waste.

I think everyone overestimates how successful retail, off the street, on a transit plaza, 60 feet above grade, actually would be. There just isn't the critical mass. Even with Westin, 615, and Novel Stonewall, and potentially the convention center ONE DAY, I think maybe one thing can survive up there. Not to mention there is literally no good way to get to that transit plaza from Novel. Novel Stonewall is literally a maze of corridors that all lead to the parking garage. You have to make one very intentional turn in one of those corridors to even make it to the transit platform. 

^^^That is why I suggested they should discount that space for someone and was saddened to hear Whole Foods wasn't going to use it.   There is an elevator and a open glass enclosed staircase to get up there but still a tough sell in this market.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

^^^That is why I suggested they should discount that space for someone and was saddened to hear Whole Foods wasn't going to use it.   There is an elevator and a open glass enclosed staircase to get up there but still a tough sell in this market.

Good luck with that! These guys didn’t get a half billion from investors to give people breaks on rent. Maybe if they developed the entire building but this is their only means to an end, so nobody will get a break lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Good luck with that! These guys didn’t get a half billion from investors to give people breaks on rent. Maybe if they developed the entire building but this is their only means to an end, so nobody will get a break lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it might be vacant for some time or a revolving door of tenants unless a national tenant with some financial clout go make a go at it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AP3 said:

The marketing flyer appears to show the screening that will be used on the parking deck.
770a9a1ca0a99fba9a3996085e531926.jpgbb22430b9883a49a4ffb3b4a9fcf4899.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep, thanks for taking a picture, I had alluded to that previous, a photograph helps a lot.

For all the hype and high visibility of it, that parking deck screen had better melt my brain

I got mansplained to about it on facebook, like I hadn’t written about the project, talked to the artist, and the developer countless times. If it doesn’t fart rainbows I’ll be disappointed.

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I got mansplained to about it on facebook, like I hadn’t written about the project, talked to the artist, and the developer countless times. If it doesn’t fart rainbows I’ll be disappointed.

Are they going to screen the ground level portion under the stick built apartments, behind the Whole Foods?  That's probably the most visible portion of this building once the two hotels are built.

9 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Are they going to screen the ground level portion under the stick built apartments, behind the Whole Foods?  That's probably the most visible portion of this building once the two hotels are built.

yes

9 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Thank the lordt.  That should give a little bit of character to the great wall of Charlotte. 

Its going to look pretty cool, the whole art piece will be one of the largest public art pieces in the united states. Hopefully it takes attention away from a woefully designed structure. 

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its going to look pretty cool, the whole art piece will be one of the largest public art pieces in the united states. Hopefully it takes attention away from a woefully designed structure. 

Any idea when installation will start?

Clayton Sealey's latest story (03/06/2018) at CharlotteFive analyzes Charlotte's new draft Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) and its impact on "The Great Wall of Charlotte" a/k/a Novel Stonewall Station.

GREAT-WALL-OF-CHARLOTTE.jpg

"Design Guidelines! One of the items I really like about TOD-A is the inclusion of sensible design guidelines. The TOD-A outlines how buildings should be massed and designed near a transit station. The document includes guidelines for primary frontages, secondary frontages, boulevard frontages and main street frontages. This is a big win for those of us that complain about the flat featureless ”beige“ boxes going up on every corner. While the color beige isn’t addressed per se, the material that generally results in beige surfaces, EIFS (fake stucco), is limited to only being allowed on 20 percent of a building’s facade."

DESIGN-STANDARD-%E2%80%93-EXAMPLE-1024x7 An example of the design standard

"The guidelines promote durable high quality materials, architectural variety and interesting facades. If a building is longer than usual, it is expected to be unique, broken up into shorter segments, with varying rooflines and perhaps changes in materials. This would keep the I-277 facing side of Novel Stonewall Station, dubbed by locals as “The Great Wall of Charlotte” from ever happening again within a quarter mile of a transit station. The guidelines might also prevent the huge featureless parapet along the Stonewall facing elevation."

Link to the full story:  https://www.charlottefive.com/transit-zoning/ 

"What the city's proposed development rules mean for parking woes and all the 'beige box' construction," by Clayton Sealey at CharlotteFive, on 03/06/2018. 

• Like 2

I will put this right here as Stonewall Station is the latest apartment complex to open uptown.   This story shows why you will see a slowdown in new apartment development and why developers are being cautious.  Uptown vacancy rate is 21.8% vs a Charlotte average of 6.9%.   However most of this is due to the newer complexes still leasing up like Ascent, Museum Tower, SS etc.  

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article205187079.html    The difference with uptown complexes vs suburban complexes you can build in phases in the suburbs but uptown it is all or nothing.  These uptown complexes need to be spread out in completion dates more.  

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 8:39 PM, KJHburg said:

I like this piece of sculpture or art whatever you call it.  Plus everyone seems to forget 2 hotels will block this view that I had today coming up Stonewall St so once both hotels are up most of the garage will be covered by them or the artwork.  (2nd photo but the great wall of Charlotte (the part facing 277)  wont change much unless they plant some trees there and I would suggest that) imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370

IMG_6309.JPG

IMG_6311.JPG

Nobody forgets the hotels will block it, the hotels are part of the problem, they are only 5 feet taller than the parking decks highest elevator shaft. They contribute to the overall girth of this compex, and they are even uglier than the building itself.  Wanderwall is only going to help so much.