Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

DC is struggling and bleeding ridership and Same for lots of cities. And as we all probably saw, Charlotte is #1 for declining ridership. 

I think this is a great balance of urban TOD with great pedestrian levels and activity & living in the reality that in the majority of large American cities, we always will be auto oriented. Would the Whole Foods be viable without so much parking? Would we have gotten Whole Foods without that parking deck? Would we prefer a smaller deck with no real pedestrian activation other than gym for the residents or the deck and Whole Foods? Which of the options would be better for urban Charlotte and for walk ability?

• Like 1

DC is struggling and bleeding ridership and Same for lots of cities. And as we all probably saw, Charlotte is #1 for declining ridership. 

I think this is a great balance of urban TOD with great pedestrian levels and activity & living in the reality that in the majority of large American cities, we always will be auto oriented. Would the Whole Foods be viable without so much parking? Would we have gotten Whole Foods without that parking deck? Would we prefer a smaller deck with no real pedestrian activation other than gym for the residents or the deck and Whole Foods? Which of the options would be better for urban Charlotte and for walk ability?

Honestly, from what I understand, they wouldn’t have gotten financing without a ton of parking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, sakami said:

Does an art work nstallation on the corner override the rest of the terrible parking deck? I know there are lots of terrible parking structures that back up to highways but no matter what they do there I cannot get past the parking deck on 277. Am I wrong? I’m genuinely excited about this project and can’t wait for Whole Foods to open but I curse that parking deck every.single.time I drive by. 

Oh no, the deck and it's size are miserable. But I'm totally intrigued by the sculptural opportunity. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

That is due to low fuel prices. We are seeing an increase in prices, and will likely see increases in ridership with better weather and higher fuel prices. Not sure where Charlotte is #1 for "declining ridership", however.

10 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

That is due to low fuel prices. We are seeing an increase in prices, and will likely see increases in ridership with better weather and higher fuel prices. Not sure where Charlotte is #1 for "declining ridership", however.

I have to call BS on fuel prices. I call bs on bikeshare resulting in declines too mentioned by the city (of anything, it should increase ridership IMO)

I think it is a combination of gentrification, The extremely terrible bus route map that turned a 7 minute car trip into a 2 hour affair (the #1 culprit of declines imo) for bus declines and Uber/Lyft for light rail declines. 

It just doesn’t make sense to me that even if gas went up significantly, people would decide to take the bus. The cost of public transportation regularly is more expensive IMO particularly if you already have a car and most people are stuck with car loans. Maybe with better  economic times, people are able to get financing for cars these days. 

The bus just sucks for everyone no matter how you slice it and the only thing to increase ridership is if people can’t buy a car, aren’t allowed to drive or they have car issues. Imagine you’re middle to lower income. You live in a cheap neighborhood off of Archdale or Arrowood. Say you work at a restaurant near Montfort near Woodlawn/Park.  By the time you walk, say 2 miles to the nearest stop playing frogger.... wait on bus... wait on light rail... wait on the bus. Walk 1/2 a mile playing frogger. Literally could be 1.5 hours easy vs. 10-15 minutes in a car from door to door. That’s just to get to work. Imagine doing everything you needed using CATS. Consider even light rail has around 15 or 20 minute non peak frequency. The buses sometimes have up to 30 minute frequencies. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How much is the screen to cover? Just the corner? All the way around? 

They are saying 18,000 sq feet. Which is pretty significant, but we will see if it’s enough. I’m still skeptical 🤨

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully the exterior portions  

will look this great! 

Now I’m a little disappointed with the green blue thing on the parking deck compared to this awesome mural that I assume is inward facing to residents only 

14 minutes ago, JBS said:

Like the murals...not sure they fit the rest of the project but I give them credit for trying.

IMHO, many of the 70s/80s office towers with cement facades would benefit from some Charlotte Muralist art like the above pic. Sure, it would clash big-time, but truly anywhere is "up" with some of those buildings

My  first two candidates would be this joker on McDowell St, and the stellar BB&T building

download.jpeg

BB&T_Center.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Well that's a surprise. Did anyone of you all know this was part of the plan? I'd only read about the Wonderwall. This looks great imo. Anything's better than blank beige. 

I did a critique of the building a few months back for C5, and spoke to Michael Tubridy (probably a reader, so hi Michael!), from Crescent, he indicated there is a lot of "fits and finishes" left on the building to flesh out. I'm sure theres more coming in addition to this and wanderwall.

Edited by Guest