Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

This is baffling to me.  So the portion of the parking structure that is exposed to the freeway doesn't get any treatment while the non-visible alleyway behind the hotels gets a massive art installation?  The hotels were always planned for that corner, no?

57 minutes ago, abttown said:

This is baffling to me.  So the portion of the parking structure that is exposed to the freeway doesn't get any treatment while the non-visible alleyway behind the hotels gets a massive art installation?  The hotels were always planned for that corner, no?

Bingo.

That said, per my contact at Crescent, that back portion will be painted a complimentary color, and receive adequate landscaping to shield. They were very limited in what they could do facing 277, because of Whole Foods' venting requirements, and also the back needed to be open, and unscreened, in order to facilitate 3 locations for Whole Foods Deliveries in the back of the house. What of that is bureaucratic nonsense I do not know.

With all that said. Whole Foods opens tomorrow, what can they even do to improve at this point, if they will be receiving large amounts of deliveries per day.

Edited by Guest

I don't see what the problem is.  If you have friends or family in town that want to see some cool public art, just have them walk down the alleyway next to the Whole Foods and tell them to look straight up.  Makes sense to me.  Plus all of the shade that the hotel will provide will keep all of the vibrant colors from fading due to exposure to that hot Carolina sun.   Its a win-win-win.

• Like 1

^^^ I actually drove into the parking garage yesterday and I did see lane for trucks between the apartments and 277 there behind those trees in my photo above for deliveries. 

I think any negatives  on this project are far outweighed by positives such as  the first full sized grocery store uptown, 450+ apartments and 2 hotels on a former parking lot and suspect nightclub.  

• Like 2

My initial take too was that it was geared towards the people that live at Stonewall Station and the hotel guests.  Those two hotels aren't tall at all.  The rooms facing the alleyway will not have a view of anything really, besides the other hotel facing them.  Having this mural helps break up the drabness of the alleyway/parking garage.   And plus, when I'm pulling into my $15k/month penthouse, I can admire the artwork lol.  I give this a solid B.  The coverage of the deck is not as full as I would like, but the screening is a first of it's kind for Charlotte.  It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.  I think the concern for some is the cost of doing this vs how many people actually see it (which is understandable).  

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I'm not not sure that's correct. I believe that sliver facing 277 will get screened eventually.  At least according to the  renderings. 

IMG_3533.JPG

Ahh, this makes me feel much better.  I was thinking that portion of the deck was being left exposed for all to see (including the future tenants in the corner apartments).  Thanks!

2 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Whole Foods Market - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Doors Open 9:00 A.M.

Stonewall Station, 400 East Stonewall Street, Uptown Charlotte 

Image by UP's Champion et Correspondant Extraordinaire:  @KJHburg

Whole Foods Market Details:

"The new 36,000 square foot Whole Foods is uptown's first full-sized grocery store (including a mezzanine and lower vestibule area, it's almost 47,000 sq. ft.)  The Whole Foods is expected to be a catalyst that draws other national retailers to the uptown area where the population is likely to keep growing."  ...  "The store will also be home to Fuel, an in-house restaurant, that will serve Allegro coffee, 6 beers and cold brew on tap.  It also will dish up lunch and dinner options." ...  "The store will have full-service meat and seafood departments, featuring Global Animal Partnership 5 Step Animal Welfare-rated meat and sustainable seafood."  ... "More than 90 local brews will be featured in the wine and beer selection." ... "Whole Foods is hiring up to 150 workers to staff the new store.  Those interested in applying can do so online at wholefoodsmarket.com/careers."

Links:

(1) http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article210276064.html - "We (finally!) know when Whole Foods is opening in uptown Charlotte," Charlotte Observer, by Katherine Peralta, 05/04/2018.

(2) https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018oods-reveals-opening-date-for-uptown-store.html - "Whole Foods reveals opening date for uptown store," Charlotte Business Journal, by Jennifer Thomas, 05/02/2018.

Those who can make it out early, I believe the first 500 people in line get gift cards ranging from $5-$50 and on GP of $500.  Can't make it out this morning but will def check it out after work today.  Pretty big day for Uptown!

• Like 2

LOVE seeing that artwork turn the corner!  I visited this Whole Foods on Saturday and can say it was quite busy.  Nothing too unique about the place, other than it's location.  I did eavesdrop on a few conversations and overheard people's excitement on having this store in uptown.

• Like 4

I heard they are letting people break their leases no penalty as they are very behind on opening all the amenities including the pool.

I have been 2x now to the Whole Foods. My initial thought is it feels smaller than others I have been in. Idk if it is or not or if it’s just the lay out. Something just feels weird about it to me. I live uptown and shop at Publix south end. I don’t see that changing.

• Like 1

I recently went to the Blue line platform and learned that there is no rail trail access from Novel stonewall. The station is wedged in between 277, and the convention center "tunnel" which is the only stretch without a dedicated trail ROW.

I'd forgotten that fact until yesterday. Such a major problem if you live there. You've gotta go down to stonewall, then back up around the block to thr rail trail Uptown.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navigator319 said:

I heard they are letting people break their leases no penalty as they are very behind on opening all the amenities including the pool.

Wow.  You would think they would offer discounts or free months to keep people in the building.  I guess it's maybe a 'I'll call your bluff' and dare people to deal with the burden of moving if they complain.  

11 hours ago, navigator319 said:

I have been 2x now to the Whole Foods. My initial thought is it feels smaller than others I have been in. Idk if it is or not or if it’s just the lay out. Something just feels weird about it to me. I live uptown and shop at Publix south end. I don’t see that changing.

The store is 47,000 square feet, 7,000 square feet larger than the average Whole Foods. 

40 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

The store is 47,000 square feet, 7,000 square feet larger than the average Whole Foods. 

Its actually 36,000 sq feet.

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I recently went to the Blue line platform and learned that there is no rail trail access from Novel stonewall. The station is wedged in between 277, and the convention center "tunnel" which is the only stretch without a dedicated trail ROW.

I'd forgotten that fact until yesterday. Such a major problem if you live there. You've gotta go down to stonewall, then back up around the block to thr rail trail Uptown.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/129861/charlotte-rail-trail-bridge/

Hopefully not for much longer

Grabbed a snack at the Whole Foods here last week.  First opportunity I've had to stop by since it opened.  I have mixed feelings about it; on one hand, it's cool to have an urban grocery store in uptown right along the Blue Line.  It has just the right amount of traditional WF character mixed with more modern urban touches.  On the other hand, I feel like it wasn't as well-integrated with the light rail as it should have been, and the lack of ceiling tiles inside WF (or any other sort of utilities-concealing structure) made me feel like I was shopping in what used to be a parking deck.  I'll be back, due to its relative convenience, but I think I like the Southpark and Ballantyne stores more from a traditional shopper's perspective.

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

Grabbed a snack at the Whole Foods here last week.  First opportunity I've had to stop by since it opened.  I have mixed feelings about it; on one hand, it's cool to have an urban grocery store in uptown right along the Blue Line.  It has just the right amount of traditional WF character mixed with more modern urban touches.  On the other hand, I feel like it wasn't as well-integrated with the light rail as it should have been, and the lack of ceiling tiles inside WF (or any other sort of utilities-concealing structure) made me feel like I was shopping in what used to be a parking deck.  I'll be back, due to its relative convenience, but I think I like the Southpark and Ballantyne stores more from a traditional shopper's perspective.

Mostly agree (disagree on the ceiling tiles though).