Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

7 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Has anyone else noticed this?

I am involved with a lot of residential activity Uptown, and I have not heard ANYONE, aside from the community staff, pronounce "Novel" Stonewall properly. On regular rotation, I will hear:

No - Vell

No - Vawl

Naw - Vell

The english language literally has two (2) words that pronounce "Novel" exactly the same way; a noun (fictitious prose at book length), and an adjective (new, unusual, interesting). Why is this so difficult?

If it was just "Novel" people would probably pronounce it right. Instead it is "Novel Stonewall Station", which makes  "Novel" seem like a last name or some made up word that must have a different exotic pronunciation compared to the actual word novel. 

"Unusual Stonewall Station"
"New Stonewall Station"
"Interesting Stonewall Station" .....

Edited by CLT2014

25 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

In English proper nouns do not follow the pattern of common nouns. Row-anne county NC, for example rather than row-un. Novel Stonewall is a proper noun and can be pronounced in whatever way the creator of the project wishes.

Well said!

Well, I work with people who are constantly calling the Novel properties, the employees always say "Naw-Vul" like the book/adjective, but these co-workers still say "No-vawl" etc. I still don't get that 

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Because every time I've heard the word "novel" come out of a crescent employee's mouth it sounds really dumb

That seems arbitrary but I'll just lol :tw_sweat_smile:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, j-man said:

So...... where is the retail besides WholeFoods....like is all that empty space going to be just nothing?

opening businesses takes time. The while block is about 90% leased

Just now, j-man said:

ok. I just felt like it was going to be turned into lobby space. 

Speaking that there are people living in Stonewall Station already, they aren't going to just randomly convert stuff to lobby space.

25 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Speaking that there are people living in Stonewall Station already, they aren't going to just randomly convert stuff to lobby space.

I say that because the space  just looks like concrete and cinder blocks. But yeah that makes sense. And after the hotels open and closer apartments, I know there should be a lot more foot traffic in that area.  

5 minutes ago, j-man said:

I say that because the space  just looks like concrete and cinder blocks. But yeah that makes sense. And after the hotels open and closer apartments, I know there should be a lot more foot traffic in that area.  

Lets put it this way. Barcelona Wine Bar, which is a pretty big deal in the region and is doing a multi million dollar upfit was announced in June of 2017, took them a while to get all their designs put together, and their permits squared away. Its still not open, but its close I believe. 

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Lets put it this way. Barcelona Wine Bar, which is a pretty big deal in the region and is doing a multi million dollar upfit was announced in June of 2017, took them a while to get all their designs put together, and their permits squared away. Its still not open, but its close I believe. 

Off topic, but I walked by Barcelona yesterday and noticed the bar was stocked with liquor and all the decor was out and looking nice.  It looks like this one should open very soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Should we be concerned that the second hotel on this site hasn't had any movement for a very long time?  Or is this what was expected due to the building being constructed of the pre-constructed rooms that take time to build?  The one on the right seems to have been progressing fairly slow too on this site.

To add to the point above. I seem to not understand much of the benefit from the dual brand hotel idea.....I've seen others built, and I think it seems to be more complicated from the construction process, and just the finished product in general. I guess I am not a fan of 2 hotels being on one parcel especially in a downtown area. Just seems like it would be so much easier for the brands to just occupy one building so the layout of them would be less awkwardly placed. This lot just seems so tiny for all of that to be going on, especially since the parking is not even attached to either building. But hey,  I might eat my words once it is built.  Hope it all works out.

Edited by j-man

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

These hotels are on 2 different parcels and the parking for both will be in the garage already built.  Both hotels are owned by different people and the prefab one once it gets started it will put together very quickly (that is the Even Hotel) and the other one the Home2Suites is coming along.   Someone on here said there will be a Starbucks on the corner of Stonewall and Caldwell there. 

See when they say dual brand, I instantly think, two hotels, one parcel. lol You know, For some reason I was thinking some type of upscale restaurant would go there, but I'm sure Starbucks will bring lots of foot traffic to that area, (that I feel is so dangerous because of all those lanes)  Especially with all those apartment up and down stonewall.