Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

sounds like you want uptown to turn into a mall. hopefully there will at least be a mrs. fields mixed in between the GAP and the Lids. my own view is that charlotte should demand a hell of a lot better than a rash of crappy chain stores found in every suburban mall in every nowhere town usa. i just can't understand why the hottest market in the south isn't demanding better.

As opposed to Hardly any places to shop? Those stores are in a lot of downtowns, so I'm not sure why you would think Charlotte is too good for that? Its better than having nowhere, really to shop. Most people (including the Triangle) would prefer those stores versus little local botiques.

And I'm not suggesting I want uptown to be a mall. I'm suggesting it be can even better place for people to live, shop, play, work.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

As opposed to Hardly any places to shop? Those stores are in a lot of downtowns, so I'm not sure why you would think Charlotte is too good for that? Its better than having nowhere, really to shop. Most people (including the Triangle) would prefer those stores versus little local botiques.

And I'm not suggesting I want uptown to be a mall. I'm suggesting it be can even better place for people to live, shop, play, work.

Plus, we need these stores first, to bring foot traffic in for shopping.  Mom and pop boutiques aren't going to be the first ones in, not with the rent in uptown.  Just like in a stupid strip mall, you need the grocery store anchor for all the little stuff to survive.

Plus, we need these stores first, to bring foot traffic in for shopping.  Mom and pop boutiques aren't going to be the first ones in, not with the rent in uptown.  Just like in a stupid strip mall, you need the grocery store anchor for all the little stuff to survive.

maybe this is true for charlotte, but it's not true at all for the triangle.  those wanting to be near a pf changs and a dick's tend to live by the malls and strip malls.  those choosing to live within the city center are doing so to get as far away from all of that crap as possible. 

but maybe this goes back to the "charm" discussion and why isn't advisable to tear down everything you can for the sake for doing so. or maybe this vision of a millennial charlotte is what the future really looks like. a tightly packed suburbian strip mallish hell.  i take it you're pretty young and probably have a good grasp on your generation, so i can value your opinion and go from there.  

Edited by BullDurhamer

maybe this is true for charlotte, but it's not true at all for the triangle.  those wanting to be near a pf changs and a dick's tend to live by the malls and strip malls.  those choosing to live within the city center are doing so to get as far away from all of that crap as possible. 

but maybe this goes back to the "charm" discussion and why isn't advisable to tear down everything you can for the sake for doing so. or maybe this vision of a millennial charlotte is what the future really looks like. a tightly packed suburbian strip mallish hell.  i take it you're pretty young and probably have a good grasp on your generation, so i can value your opinion and go from there.  

What retail is currently available in downtown Durham?  

maybe this is true for charlotte, but it's not true at all for the triangle. those wanting to be near a pf changs and a dick's tend to live by the malls and strip malls. those choosing to live within the city center are doing so to get as far away from all of that crap as possible.

but maybe this goes back to the "charm" discussion and why isn't advisable to tear down everything you can for the sake for doing so. or maybe this vision of a millennial charlotte is what the future really looks like. a tightly packed suburbian strip mallish hell. i take it you're pretty young and probably have a good grasp on your generation, so i can value your opinion and go from there.

Tearing down exit ramps and building WholeFoods and other stores is leading to a decrease in charm?

A lot of downtown, including charming downtowns, have all these stores that you detest...

UrbanOutfitters

http://www.empirestatefuture.org/wp-content/uploads/urbanoutfitters-e1350569403199.jpg

WholeFoods

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site568/2014/1202/20141202__1203wholefood~1.JPG

Sunglasses hut

http://brighamyen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_0723.jpg

I mean... Almost all the large cities have all these "chain" stores. It's not suburban. There just has to be a critical mass of people living in the city to support retail.

Take a look at this downtown Target in Seattle http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5079/7366685154_82705c4876.jpg

So I'm not sure why, again, you would think Charlottes too good for these stores when places like Seattle, Denver, LA, Minneapolis, etc.

And the culture of Durham probably has zero to do with the lack of "chain" stores. It's really economics and the fact that Durhams downtown couldn't support those stores due to lack of critical mass, etc. Same with Charlotte, but Charlottenis getting there.

And I like AE because again, I'm 6 foot and weigh 135 pounds. It's hard finding clothes that fit good.

Center city should be an inclusive place for all people. Not a small minority who only shop at Mast General. But I agree, local stores are great to have, but you're dismissing chain stores as "suburban" when that's just not true.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

It seems that the big step towards retail will be that first one.  Retail tends to beget retail, no?  So getting that first one in the door is huge. Maybe that's whole foods, but my guess is they still need an anchor like a Belk or Macy's.

It seems that the big step towards retail will be that first one.  Retail tends to beget retail, no?  So getting that first one in the door is huge. Maybe that's whole foods, but my guess is they still need an anchor like a Belk or Macy's.

Honestly people like Urban Outfitters & American Apparel are some of the places that need to come first. They have been a catalyst in a LOT of urban, Southern, shopping districts. Columbia just got a Urban Outfitters downtown, pretty awesome.

I am unclear why a Whole Foods would be an anchor for any clothing retail.   People don't trip-share their grocery shopping with clothing.

I already buy half my clothing uptown, but I do it online.   It is not onerous for me to go to SouthPark and Northlake for the remainder.

The distaste or the love for various retailers is why there is always a cluster of various options in the form of a mall.  It seems like settled "law" that we will not draw a full mall uptown based on retail economics.  

seriously, internet and modern transportation options makes this so called need for a bunch of clothing retailers in the uptown area a farce.  

you need livability options to sustain a downtown, not a bunch of clothing stores.  this isn't 1940.  restaurants, grocers, and other ventures that support actual urban living should be the priority.  it's amazing how many "mom and pop" bars and restaurants exist without having a chain label in downtown areas.  we love latta arcade not because it's old but because it's a great place to drink, presumably because of the unique businesses inhabiting them?  there really seems to be an enormous disconnect here...

seriously, internet and modern transportation options makes this so called need for a bunch of clothing retailers in the uptown area a farce.

you need livability options to sustain a downtown, not a bunch of clothing stores. this isn't 1940. restaurants, grocers, and other ventures that support actual urban living should be the priority. it's amazing how many "mom and pop" bars and restaurants exist without having a chain label in downtown areas. we love latta arcade not because it's old but because it's a great place to drink, presumably because of the unique businesses inhabiting them? there really seems to be an enormous disconnect here...

But all the other cities are adding these stores...

The idea behind WholeFoods, Parks, stadiums, convention centers, ferris wheels, zoo's etc in a downtown is to foster a sense of community.

Sense of community is exactly what Crescent is doing. What's the point of urban living if the only thing you can do is eat?

There is still Plaza, SouthEnd, NoDa which all will be connected by rail soon making a cohesive singular destination.

Living in a downtown and having to drive out of it for everything defeats the purpose of urban living to me.

I would never go uptown and deal with the hassle to eat. I make trips out of it. So the more amenities, places to shop, parks, events, the more likely I am to come more and support local business uptiwn. Uptiwn Chatlotte, I imagine, is more annoying to park than Durham. And not everyone has a parking voucher.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

i think we're on the same page in many ways.  i'm not advocated driving at all.  light rail gives urban livers the option to go get their shopping center fix at the south end or whatever.   the city core should be reserved for greatness, not petco. 

Edited by BullDurhamer

furthermore, the city core should be about sustaining and growing charlotte, not getting some faceless corporation in Texas that much richer.  i understand that there is probably a need for a balance, but the demand uptown is so great now that we can afford to be choosier.  urban living is the thing EVERYWHERE.  you can give developers a free pass to do anything and rationalize all you want or you can require excellence.  Either way it's going to fill in, it's just a matter of what the result will be when it's all said and done.  

i think we're on the same page in many ways.  i'm not advocated driving at all.  light rail gives urban livers the option to go get their shopping center fix at the south end or whatever.   the city core should be reserved for greatness, not petco. 

My Urban Liver only goes to bars ;-)

i think we're on the same page in many ways. i'm not advocated driving at all. light rail gives urban livers the option to go get their shopping center fix at the south end or whatever. the city core should be reserved for greatness, not petco.

Petco sure would be better than nothing though.

Getting more refined.  I like it!

I dunno...

I like the change to the overall silhouette, however, I don't like the change to the materials. It looked like it was metal, hardiplank and stone before. Now it appears to be the usual hardiplank, hardcoat stucco and masonry. We got enough of that in Charlotte.

I dunno...

I like the change to the overall silhouette, however, I don't like the change to the materials. It looked like it was metal, hardiplank and stone before. Now it appears to be the usual hardiplank, hardcoat stucco and masonry. We got enough of that in Charlotte.

Not really a lot of masonry in Uptown. I kinda like that it is different from all the glass personally.

sounds like you want uptown to turn into a mall.  hopefully there will at least be a mrs. fields mixed in between the GAP and the Lids.   my own view is that charlotte should demand a hell of a lot better than a rash of crappy chain stores found in every suburban mall in every nowhere town usa.  i just can't understand why the hottest market in the south isn't demanding better.  

Maybe it's just me - but I would love to have "mall stores" in uptown as long as they are fronting real streets and people have to walk to them. To me, that would be the sign of a successful urban retail center. King Street in Charleston is like a mall, Seattle has it in their downtown, as do tons of other cities. I pray for the day that I have to complain about another chain store in uptown, and I can actually walk to buy a Polo shirt instead of having to drive to Concord or Steele Creek.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...