Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^ Hey I have never been to a Shake Shack (just hear they are good) and usually only eat hamburgers at home that I grill.   But I want that patio activated and a salad place wont do that except at lunch.  I did not say McDonalds up there for I did not want to trigger anyone.     But can't wait to head west this spring for my In N Out double double! 

I'd rather have In-N-Out Burger's first east coast location myself...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

How about something like this instead of chain fast food? I'm speaking of a mix of small locally owned restaurants and pubs not the awesome space.   

https://unionstationindenver.com/

I've been to Union Station. It's nice. I'd rather have the In-N-Out Burger myself. I wouldn't drive from LKN to eat at anything in Union Station. I would occasionally drive to eat at In-N-Out.

Edit: and just to be clear...my wish isn't going to come true anytime soon. I'm just throwing it out there as a wish. Your idea is MUCH more likely to come to fruition.

Edited by jednc
clarification
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

How about something like this instead of chain fast food? I'm speaking of a mix of small locally owned restaurants and pubs not the awesome space.   

https://unionstationindenver.com/

I've been to Union Station. It's nice. I'd rather have the In-N-Out Burger myself. I wouldn't drive from LKN to eat at anything in Union Station. I would occasionally drive to eat at In-N-Out.

Edit: Just to clarify...I'm just expressing a wish out loud for an In-N-Out Burger. There's no chance this will happen anytime soon. You suggestions are MUCH more likely to actually happen.

Separate Post: I just noticed this line in the CO article about the RNC Convention bid; "and at least one new hotel at Stonewall Station". Did one of these hotel projects fall through or is there something I'm misunderstanding?

Edited by jednc

25 minutes ago, jednc said:

Separate Post: I just noticed this line in the CO article about the RNC Convention bid; "and at least one new hotel at Stonewall Station". Did one of these hotel projects fall through or is there something I'm misunderstanding?

I think the article was referring to hotels that will open this year or in 2019 (basically RNC readiness).  Both hotels should still be on track, but at least one will be ready by RNC time.  That was my take on the article.

CO link: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article200331114.html

Sidenote, in regard to the hotel situation...I think one big positive from the delay of our hosting of the NBA All-Star game is the addition of all the new hotels/rooms available in 2019 vs last year.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I think the article was referring to hotels that will open this year or in 2019 (basically RNC readiness).  Both hotels should still be on track, but at least one will be ready by RNC time.  That was my take on the article.

I considered that but couldn't quite tell the way it was written. You are probably right.

^^^ The problem with that space on the upper deal it will need to be a draw and a known quantity.   That is why I suggested Shake Shack.   I was very excited when I thought Whole Foods would operate their coffee bar up there but without their commitment now it will have to be a good draw.  It is a great patio and this station formerly not as busy will become one of the busier ones now with all the office development along Stonewall and more hotels and apartments.  As the closest station to BofA Stadium and with a new entrance into the Convention Center imagine the possibilities of the space.  

To quote a a former NYC mayoral candidate "The Rent is too damn high" for most local startups unless it is a local chain of some sort. 

• Like 1

Genuine question:  Do you think creating a union station atmosphere Uptown would be redundant to Tompkins Hall in the short-term?  Certainly in the long-term they wouldn't be redundant, but it might be difficult to get two projects of similar scale and atmosphere off the ground at the same time.

27 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Genuine question:  Do you think creating a union station atmosphere Uptown would be redundant to Tompkins Hall in the short-term?  Certainly in the long-term they wouldn't be redundant, but it might be difficult to get two projects of similar scale and atmosphere off the ground at the same time.

I don't think so. They would instead compete with all the mediocre chains now in uptown. I think we can support 7th street, Tompkins and a Union station vibe  at Crescent.  They would all  become  destinations. Blue line gastro stops.

I agree no consequences or at minimum public rebukes by officials does not help.

But anyone think there are more sinister motives by some developers? Such as releasing knowingly untrue info/renders in hopes of keeping approvals on track with as little as friction as possible and then when comes time to move dirt build the POS they always were going to anyway?

As a side note I read yesterday Crescent ‘won’ a lawsuit from a real estate partner that lost out to Asana. Sounded to me like they won because what they did was not illegal in NC but illegal in other states.

That’s hardly a high bar to strive for. Crescent starting to feel a bit shady. If shady not the right word then sounds like cultural issues top down in their org.

Don’t have high hopes for Atherton and that’s saddens me. As for Ally Center I’m cautiously optimistic but worried.

Edit: Just to clarify...I'm just expressing a wish out loud for an In-N-Out Burger. There's no chance this will happen anytime soon. You suggestions are MUCH more likely to actually happen.

Neither fell through

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 2/17/2018 at 12:08 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Neither fell through

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I knew I hadn't read anything about one of them falling through. So, I guess CharlotteWkndBuzz's interpretation is correct in the article was talking about hotels that would be finishing up before the RNC (or maybe it was just a mistake in the article). Glad to know.

On 2/16/2018 at 6:10 PM, navigator319 said:

Anyone know the reason why we ended up with the currently built version versus the initial renderings? When do these changes usually happen and get approved?

The initial renderings are much more appealing to me.

1a26538fd013400e94bc1825230f14a0.jpg

db12c9086d2296ff143b05f16a5458da.jpg

Firstly, Above is the second rendered version of 5. This is the fourth below, the only difference between it and the final (5th) is the final deck wrapping is included, and not yet public. This is what was approved, and honestly it's pretty much spot on, with exception of the colors for the railings, the windows and it doesn't include the big fat cornice. These renderings are always 1000x more vibrant than actuality, but that's someone's artistic license. 

The biggest differences between the original rendering you posted, and the one I posted is slightly better more custom materials/colors, more recessed balconies, larger windows and much more articulated elevations. I'd imagine the biggest difference is they deemed they couldn't make money on the original design, they maximized square footage, value engineered it a bit, focused on making the interiors desirable, and blew their load trying to mask the parking deck. I suspect some of the architectural integrity of this building was lost to the cost of having to mask the 30,000 sq feet of exposed parking with art (only 16,000 sq feet of that space will be covered by art, the rest by two hotels)

image.png.5eab034b04baa9b8c0d2e39d8e24f911.png

Edited by Guest

I meant to post this the other day. I walked around uptown on Sunday and went by Stonewall Station. I was able to walk up the steps to the terrace. While I was nosing around I saw them giving apt. tours to two different groups (one a couple and one a single person). The finished result up above Whole Foods isn't bad...it's just nothing spectacular. Overall, this will improve some as it becomes occupied and people bring their own personality to some of the spaces.

• Like 2