Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

9 hours ago, drawscape said:

Does anybody really want to live in the apartments that are facing the light rail station? 

I think this depends on how you view the light rail station.  

If you're someone who is going to use it, you look at it as living 'on' your station.  That's convenience and a value-add.   If you're someone who drives, you are going to look at it as living in a unit 'facing' a station.

Let me flip the script for you.  How many apartments in Charlotte have bedroom windows and balconies right next to parking lots?  Not really looking out at Walden Pond either...  

To each his own.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, drawscape said:

Does anybody really want to live in the apartments that are facing the light rail station? 

I mentioned this earlier in the thread.  I absolutely would, if those ground floor units had direct access to the platform, but they don't.  I understand the need for separation/security (the station can get pretty busy at times (Panthers games)), but like at Bland Station, it is extremely convenient being steps away from your patio door to the station/plaza.  We also have dogs, so we always look for 1st-floor units with direct access to the back through the patio (so we don't have to navigate the hallways/elevators to walk them).  Again, it's all personal preference...I have no problem living by the light rail, highway, locomotive trains, etc.  May seem weird, but I actually like the sights and sounds that the above provide.  

Edit: To Kermit's point, the only thing I would not like to face is under the 277 bridge (The Cadence Apartments at the Music Factory). Paying 2k a month to view tent city is not intriguing. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

I am guessing  especially those on the first floors but maybe not as they have larger patios for people. might actually be more popular.    Many of these newer apartment blocks have units facing each other in narrow courtyards yet still rent.  Most people view apartments as a stepping stone or temporary housing and think about things like that less than you think.  They will move to something they own or another apartment elsewhere.   With a full sized grocery store in the building I think it will lease fairly quickly even the units facing 277.  Buildings with grocery stores have leased quickly around the country so I dont think this will be any different.  

Would I want an apartment on the 1st or 2nd floor looking at the train station no but I would take one higher up with no reservations. 

• Like 2

Why a major Charlotte developer is selling itself to a Japanese forestry company

"Sumitomo Forestry is a wood products company and homebuilder that is a major producer and importer of timber. The company owns five homebuilding companies in the U.S., such as Dan Ryan Homes, and is also a promoter of wood-framed construction, which is how most of Crescent's apartments are built."

:tw_grimace:

• Sad 3

On 4/27/2018 at 6:24 PM, Miesian Corners said:

and is also a promoter of wood-framed construction, which is how most of Crescent's apartments are built."

:tw_grimace:

With the shortage of construction grade sand, and the steel tariffs, I highly doubt we'd see much else in mid-rise residential construction anyway.  

On 4/23/2018 at 6:56 PM, drawscape said:

If the price is right, yes, there will always be someone wanting to live there.  The picture below is of a similar station here in San Diego -- apartment building is right next to the trolley station.  The only thing at this stop is that apartment building.  People are always getting on and off the train at that station so obviously people live in that building.  I even knew someone who lived there.  He didn't have a car, so he could hop on the train at his building and get off the station where he worked.  Super convenient.  He had noo complaints about living by that station.

morena-linda_vista3.jpg

• Like 2

When the blue line began in 2007 the train blew the horn at each crossing even though it had cross arms down. It was a designed safety feature. The few residents on the line at that time, Park Avenue condos I recall, complained because of the incessant horn. They changed to the bell and complaints declined.

I said this before but if my parents were alive today and I told them people would pay even more to live next to an active rail line their eyes and ears would fall off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

When the blue line began in 2007 the train blew the horn at each crossing even though it had cross arms down. It was a designed safety feature. The few residents on the line at that time, Park Avenue condos I recall, complained because of the incessant horn. They changed to the bell and complaints declined.

I said this before but if my parents were alive today and I told them people would pay even more to live next to an active rail line their eyes and ears would fall off.

To each their own.  I knew someone who liked living above the freeway (in spite of the noise) because he enjoyed watching the cars.  He's sometimes have a drink or picnic in the backyard and watch cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

This project now has my attention

Does an art work nstallation on the corner override the rest of the terrible parking deck? I know there are lots of terrible parking structures that back up to highways but no matter what they do there I cannot get past the parking deck on 277. Am I wrong? I’m genuinely excited about this project and can’t wait for Whole Foods to open but I curse that parking deck every.single.time I drive by. 

8 minutes ago, sakami said:

Does an art work nstallation on the corner override the rest of the terrible parking deck? I know there are lots of terrible parking structures that back up to highways but no matter what they do there I cannot get past the parking deck on 277. Am I wrong?

Is the deck 100% Crescent's fault? Or is it mostly the 'minimum parking requirements' of the Charlotte building code?

Given the size of the project, how many parking spots are required by the outdated code?

Is the deck 100% Crescent's fault? Or is it mostly the 'minimum parking requirements' of the Charlotte building code?
Given the size of the project, how many parking spots are required by the outdated code?

I don’t remember the exact numbers but I believe the deck is nearly double the parking requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t remember the exact numbers but I believe the deck is nearly double the parking requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

83b6c992b4c50b22d6dc015c62b0724c.jpg&key=a2502fc8df41dceef9c03764b4b5d81c79992d011f1ede45da3e45695b365bfb

Spaces needed for apartments: 459 spaces

Spaces required for hotels 181+150/2= 165.5

Spaces required for commercial space/retail; 30

Required: 655

Delivered: 1350