Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

It weird man, this boom feels different, some of these developments that are in the works are actually doing things right. Tryon Place is TRULY killing it, and from what I heard today, Whole foods will be no exception. These two projects will be a huge boon for this area of town, more so that any development that has happened thus far.

Not gonna lie, Uptown is surpassing my expectations of where I thought it would've been at in 2015 that I had during the heydays of 2008 when it seemed like the good times were here forever (and then came the financial recession....)

very interesting!!!

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Feb. 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Crescent Communities has unveiled plans for a mixed-use, transit-oriented development (TOD) that will bring Uptown Charlotte its first Whole Foods Market. The company's plans for the 5.4-acre site at the Lynx Light Rail's Stonewall Station define a new model of urban living for the area and complement its Tryon Place mixed-use development to redefine the city's Stonewall corridor

The plans feature a 47,000 square-foot Whole Foods Market, 450-unit luxury apartment community and parking deck along with retail and up to two hotels.

"It is our vision that this Crescent community will redefine urban living in Charlotte," said Ben Collins, regional vice president for Crescent. "Whole Foods Market will be Uptown's first full-sized grocery store. Its size, combined with Whole Foods Market's holistic approach to the shopping experience, will allow residents, commuters and visitors to enjoy Uptown in an entirely new way."

Located at the southwest intersection of Stonewall and Caldwell streets, the community will be directly connected to the Stonewall Station, which serves popular Uptown destinations including the NFL Carolina Panthers' Bank of America Stadium, Levine Center for the Arts, and the Charlotte Convention Center. With free-flowing access to Whole Foods Market, it represents one of the nation's most accessible transit-oriented grocers and is perfectly situated for everyday Uptown living.

"We've enjoyed being part of the Charlotte community since 2012 and are excited about the city's continued growth," said Jeff Turner, executive coordinator of operations with Whole Foods Market. "We look forward to offering both convenience and a gathering place to our future neighbors and Uptown's visitors."

Whole Foods Market, residences and hotels also complement the plans for Crescent's Tryon Place, just west of the site. Tryon Place, on more than three acres at the corner of Stonewall and Tryon streets, is a planned mixed-use community with Class A office, restaurants, retail and full-service hotel.

"We see a strategic opportunity for Crescent to create something transformational for Charlotte along South Tryon Street and the Stonewall corridor," said Crescent CEO Todd Mansfield. "With a new mix of development for this part of Uptown, our plans will enhance the area's walkability, encourage engagement, and further connect the city's core with South End. It's very reflective of the growth and sustainability that the community asked for in the Center City 2020 Vision Plan."

Crescent's approach to development is centered on building a sense of community for residents, workers and visitors through thoughtful design and engaging social spaces. In addition to a raised, transit-level public plaza, the new project at Stonewall and Caldwell includes a resident-only outdoor amenities area. Designed atop the parking deck, the resort-style pool and outdoor living space offer uninhibited views of the skyline looking up Tryon Street. The two residential buildings include a mid-rise as well as a high-rise with fewer but larger and more luxurious units, providing a boutique feel.    

Crescent will break ground on the new community on Stonewall Street this year and is targeting 2017 for its opening date.

Bill Moseley of Moseley Real Estate Advisors represented Whole Foods Market. Lord Aeck Sargent and Preston Partnership LLC provided site planning and design services for Crescent Communities, and Land Design is the civil engineer.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/crescent-communities-bring-whole-foods-211500351.html

Edited by navigator319

Ta-dah. 450 apartments, 3-400 hotel rooms and Whole Foods... http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/11/5508620/uptown-whole-foods-apartments.html#.VNvI4PnF98E

EDIT: A key component to this is that it will be "transit-accessible" so you can literally walk off the light rail and in to Whole Foods. This is awesome!

Edited by wend28

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/02/crescent-confirms-uptown-whole-foods-shares.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/11/5508620/uptown-whole-foods-apartments.html#.VNvJcUv5GzY

There you guys go. Glad you can share in my happiness. Sorry I wasn't allowed to share before it went public. I'm just happy my Massing diagram wasn't COMPLETELY off. Pretty damn close LOL.

Edited by Guest

NVWeH_u3.jpg

PLUS, they have two hotels signed.

Link broken :(

Also, what an absolutely amazing project. I love the look and feel of it all, Crescent is killin it in uptown. And I think it's safe to say bye bye to Caviar. thank god. So what is that, 7 massive projects opening in 2017?? (210 Trade, Tryon Place, 300 S Tryon, Skyhouse II, The Bearden, Mint Museum Apts...). Incredible

Edited by Jayvee

Not bad at all. I hope they are able to improve access to Stonewall Station somehow. I look forward to more renderings and a site plan to get a better sense of how this uses the entire site.

I bet they developed that parcel so as to insure their residents always have a view. 

Probably. I still think it could have been less 'suburban.' But whatever.

Link broken :(

See attached I have High Res ones too

post-17104-0-82630200-1423691768_thumb.j

post-17104-0-69629100-1423691771_thumb.j

Not bad at all. I hope they are able to improve access to Stonewall Station somehow. I look forward to more renderings and a site plan to get a better sense of how this uses the entire site.

Probably. I still think it could have been less 'suburban.' But whatever.

The plaza will be directly connected to Stonewall platform. There will be a elevator that goes up to stonewall station and the Whole Foods plaza as well. 

The one thing that's not clear to me is where exactly the hotel component will go... This image only seems to capture the residential and retail pieces.

I don't yet know the info to that, but we should know soon enough, in the next month or two. I am anxious to see a site plan. 

One thing that I Should Add is we really and truly have the first real sign that the Rail Trail is a real thing.

Edited by Guest

I wish that building had a Spire.

This development is by a long mile the best uptown has ever had excluding Epicenter.

Such a shame Tryon Place and Crescent Stonewall will be separated by Westin and even worse, the convention center. And the Nascar HOF isn't much of a prize itself street level wise.

I've always thought Stonewall (years before Tryon Place was announced) was a perfect candidate for a major retail corridor. The city needs to

Most excited by the non-grocery retail lining Stonewall. 

This makes me wonder if the "studio" space on the Stonewall side of NASCAR HOF is built out inside, or can be converted to retail/restaurant.  I think it's hollow shell space rignt now.  I'm also curious if there is anything to be done with the Conention Center.  I know part of it is loading docks, but not sure if everything else is exhibition space, or if there is any opportunity to carve out retail into the Stonewall side on the Convention Center.

I agree that having a grand escalator (or straight set of stairs with no switchback) would really help the Stonewall LRT station.

It is going to be a amazing to see what Crescent is going to be a catalyst for in uptown. We now certainly know why they we're stock piling cash. Groundbreaking and completing two MASSIVE mixed-use projects over basically the same timeframe. What an undertaking for them, looks like they just became my favorite Charlotte developer.

• Like 2

Charlotte Business Journal

You will be able to step of the Light Rail Line into Whole Foods, the only step like this in the US.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/02/crescent-confirms-uptown-whole-foods-shares.html?ana=e_clt_bn_breakingnews&u=wliErbChCYS6n81xplCL1O+yqpF&t=1423693562

• Like 3

I believe I see the jizfountain feature on that rendering

I might contribute all of the money in my bank account just to have the "John P. Jizzy Memorial Fountain"

I should mention that this is the first real sign that people are grooving with the idea of the rail trail. This plaza is kinda sorta part of it.

Also nobody has mentioned the additional Retail, 15-20k sq feet. So when all is said and done, we should have 67k of retail! WOO!

Edited by Guest