Jayvee

Crescent Stonewall Station

3 hours ago, j-man said:

they should take that wall art off, then do this to the outer garage walls. It would look so much less tacky. 

I actually like the wanderwall but do agree the cinderblocks need to be painted.  It really is nice to see as  you driving in from South Blvd.   It has really grown on me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I actually like the wanderwall but do agree the cinderblocks need to be painted.  It really is nice to see as  you driving in from South Blvd.   It has really grown on me. 

The wanderwall is noce, but not for this project. specially being shoved on such an awkward corner. It would have looked nice for like an aquarium parking garage.  It just looks very elementary. 

Has anyone else noticed this?

I am involved with a lot of residential activity Uptown, and I have not heard ANYONE, aside from the community staff, pronounce "Novel" Stonewall properly. On regular rotation, I will hear:

No - Vell

No - Vawl

Naw - Vell

The english language literally has two (2) words that pronounce "Novel" exactly the same way; a noun (fictitious prose at book length), and an adjective (new, unusual, interesting). Why is this so difficult?

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I am involved with a lot of residential activity Uptown, and I have not heard ANYONE, aside from the community staff, pronounce "Novel" Stonewall properly. On regular rotation, I will hear:

No - Vell

No - Vawl

Naw - Vell

The english language literally has two (2) words that pronounce "Novel" exactly the same way; a noun (fictitious prose at book length), and an adjective (new, unusual, interesting). Why is this so difficult?

Because every time I've heard the word "novel" come out of a crescent employee's mouth it sounds really dumb

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

No - Vell

No - Vawl

Naw - Vell

If it was just "Novel" people would probably pronounce it right. Instead it is "Novel Stonewall Station", which makes  "Novel" seem like a last name or some made up word that must have a different exotic pronunciation compared to the actual word novel. 

"Unusual Stonewall Station"
"New Stonewall Station"
"Interesting Stonewall Station" .....

Edited by CLT2014

In English proper nouns do not follow the pattern of common nouns. Row-anne county NC, for example rather than row-un. Novel Stonewall is a proper noun and can be pronounced in whatever way the creator of the project wishes.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

In English proper nouns do not follow the pattern of common nouns. Row-anne county NC, for example rather than row-un. Novel Stonewall is a proper noun and can be pronounced in whatever way the creator of the project wishes.

Well said!

Well, I work with people who are constantly calling the Novel properties, the employees always say "Naw-Vul" like the book/adjective, but these co-workers still say "No-vawl" etc. I still don't get that 

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Because every time I've heard the word "novel" come out of a crescent employee's mouth it sounds really dumb

That seems arbitrary but I'll just lol :tw_sweat_smile:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Ok...so then what the heck is the right pronunciation?

Greystar employees who actually work at Stonewall and NoDa say it like the other English words: "Novel," like a book, or a "novel" idea.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

So...... where is the retail besides WholeFoods....like is all that empty space going to be just nothing?

4 minutes ago, j-man said:

So...... where is the retail besides WholeFoods....like is all that empty space going to be just nothing?

opening businesses takes time. The while block is about 90% leased

• Like 3

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

opening businesses takes time. The while block is about 90% leased

ok. I just felt like it was going to be turned into lobby space. 

Just now, j-man said:

ok. I just felt like it was going to be turned into lobby space. 

Speaking that there are people living in Stonewall Station already, they aren't going to just randomly convert stuff to lobby space.

25 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Speaking that there are people living in Stonewall Station already, they aren't going to just randomly convert stuff to lobby space.

I say that because the space  just looks like concrete and cinder blocks. But yeah that makes sense. And after the hotels open and closer apartments, I know there should be a lot more foot traffic in that area.  

5 minutes ago, j-man said:

I say that because the space  just looks like concrete and cinder blocks. But yeah that makes sense. And after the hotels open and closer apartments, I know there should be a lot more foot traffic in that area.  

Lets put it this way. Barcelona Wine Bar, which is a pretty big deal in the region and is doing a multi million dollar upfit was announced in June of 2017, took them a while to get all their designs put together, and their permits squared away. Its still not open, but its close I believe. 

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also wouldn't blame a retailer if they wanted to slow play it a bit and wait until more of the apartments along this stretch are leased up and foot traffic increases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Lets put it this way. Barcelona Wine Bar, which is a pretty big deal in the region and is doing a multi million dollar upfit was announced in June of 2017, took them a while to get all their designs put together, and their permits squared away. Its still not open, but its close I believe. 

Off topic, but I walked by Barcelona yesterday and noticed the bar was stocked with liquor and all the decor was out and looking nice.  It looks like this one should open very soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Should we be concerned that the second hotel on this site hasn't had any movement for a very long time?  Or is this what was expected due to the building being constructed of the pre-constructed rooms that take time to build?  The one on the right seems to have been progressing fairly slow too on this site.

To add to the point above. I seem to not understand much of the benefit from the dual brand hotel idea.....I've seen others built, and I think it seems to be more complicated from the construction process, and just the finished product in general. I guess I am not a fan of 2 hotels being on one parcel especially in a downtown area. Just seems like it would be so much easier for the brands to just occupy one building so the layout of them would be less awkwardly placed. This lot just seems so tiny for all of that to be going on, especially since the parking is not even attached to either building. But hey,  I might eat my words once it is built.  Hope it all works out.

Edited by j-man