Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

Well I know one developer who must be happy with Crescent. Portman!

Surely this helps Portman's office tower, marketing wise.

And South Tryon continues to blow North Tryon out of the water. Romare, Museums, Residential developments, BBT Stadium, Tryon Place, Crescent Stonewall, Nascar HoF. :ermm:  But I'm sure North Tryon will catch up with a new Library and Levine's First Ward....

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

So RDF, buddy ole pal, whats it take to get you to photoshop this (and the other projects) in a future skyline rendering??? :)

Unfortunately I spent all morning trying to dig up info, instead of doing my actual work, so now I'm stuck doing all my real work, LOL.

I believe I see the jizfountain feature on that rendering

And I thought no one would carry my sensibility all this time...

That said - HOT DAMN!   God -Charlotte - you are becoming the city (every day, every month, every year) that we saw you as from prior to to urban renewal (aka the U.S. city metaphor for the Chinese Cultural revolution ) through  what I will always call the urban renaissance. 

• Like 1

And I thought no one would carry my sensibility all this time...

That said - HOT DAMN! God -Charlotte - you are becoming the city (every day, every month, every year) that we saw you as from prior to to urban renewal (aka the U.S. city metaphor for the Chinese Cultural revolution ) through what I will always call the urban renaissance.

Holy crap, I just saw the great white whale! Welcome back Urbanity!

Anybody else think, Publix is going to be like, well crap... "Maybe we should help fund a light rail stop at Shoppes at Southline." In my opinion, this was a no brainier all along.

Whole foods is just proving, once again, that they are in a class of their own when it comes to true pedestrian and human scale design.

Anybody else think, Publix is going to be like, well crap... "Maybe we should help fund a light rail stop at Shoppes at Southline." \

I'm still hoping the BLE will get an IKEA Branded station - NOT because I need advertisements but for the idea that business can and do affect transit.  

Think of a Bissell station for Ballentyne BLE2

I wonder if the hotel is another dual branded hotel...Having two separate hotels on site seems like it would be a bit much with the two apartment buildings that will also occupy the site.

The back of the property bows out into 277, there might be enough room there, but hotels require street visibility. I'm trying to get some answers to where exactly the hotel will be going.

Hard to believe between this and Tryon place we will be getting nearly 1000 hotel rooms. I'm hoping we have a dual branded Westin expansion and a W Hotel at Crescent Stonewall, or maybe at Tryon place...

I still think there's a Hyatt Regency somewhere being planned.

The back of the property bows out into 277, there might be enough room there, but hotels require street visibility. I'm trying to get some answers to where exactly the hotel will be going.

Hard to believe between this and Tryon place we will be getting nearly 1000 hotel rooms. I'm hoping we have a dual branded Westin expansion and a W Hotel at Crescent Stonewall, or maybe at Tryon place...

I still think there's a Hyatt Regency somewhere being planned.

I would like to see a W and a Hyatt Regency at the two Crescent sites. 

Actually, I would really like to see a Grand Hyatt. I spent a couple of nights at the Grand Hyatt in Seoul in 2012.  Ever since then, I have been hooked on the brand.

From what I read, each hotel will be 300-400 rooms.  That's def not a boutique hotel, nor extended stay.  That sounds like a full-service hotel like Hyatt.  I would say that the hotel at Tryon Place is the more trendy hotel location, perfect for W or Loews.  The Stonewall site makes sense to be Hyatt and/or Westin.  I wonder if it is out of the realm of possibility to consider a Grand Hyatt.  Denver, which I see as a city we have lots of similarities to, has a Grand Hyatt.

Between this development and Tryon Place... one of those 3 hotels has to be a: W, Loews or Hyatt Regency in my opinion. That would really add to the wow factor (or more to it).

It would be nice if at least two of those three came to fruition at the two Crescent site and the third went to 300 S. Tryon-perhaps a W at this site, a Hyatt Regency or even a Grand Hyatt at Tryon Place, and a Loews at 300 S. Tryon

• Like 1

Just to add another point about this development... It's one of those that you want to shove in the face of the pundits who think that mass transit doesn't generate development. Locally, you couldn't ask for a much better example of urban TOD than this Crescent project (in addition to a lot of what's popped up in SouthEnd). In a few years, you can live at the Fountains of South End or up at UNCC and head to Whole Foods for lunch, groceries or pick up some local craft beer. And who knows, this may be a catalyst to some actual retail in uptown. Feel pretty confident that this may be the jumpstart we've been hoping for. 

Edited by wend28
  • Like 2

Crescent has its hotel partners in place and will announce those in the coming months, Collins says. The company intends to start all phases of development in the fourth quarter of this year and expects to complete the project in 2017.

Both this project and Tryon Place moving forward at the same time would explain why Crescent sold off all of those other properties, no?

Holy crap, I just saw the great white whale! Welcome back Urbanity!

"White Whale" is actually what I call the light rail IRL sometimes because my nephew was a toddler when they were building it and loved twains and was excited when he got to see the "white whale" riding on the twacks.    Then we went back to the hotowel and had lemolade. 

I was busy yesterday when the announcement came out, but I gotta say that I am relieved that they were able to partner with the owners of the club land.  It was a no brainer, but sometimes old land owners are stubborn and I figured we would end up with a very oddly shaped development trying to squeeze into that parcel.

I do love how the Whole Foods is still semi-freestanding, but that the roof is a green roof and transit plaza.  So while it is really cost-saving and increases access to customers, they get two halos in one.  

Ever since the pedestrian bridge widening of the rail bridge was scrapped, the rail trail plans have generally avoided this area and involved shifting west toward Tryon.  Obviously with the pedestrian infrastructure they added to the South Blvd bridge, that does add the access for South End, but I wonder if Crescent wouldn't benefit from funding and reviving the original artistic bridge crossing that was scrapped from the original blue line. (It is now impossible to find the old renderings).   Even if not done in an artistic fashion, a functional pedestrian crossing cantilevered from the rail bridge would really be helpful to this project.

Most of the residential population within walking distance of this WF is actually in SouthEnd.  But it does raise the very real possibility that 2nd Ward may be finally primed for growth.  There are 3 City of Charlotte-owned parcels basically next door to this project (including the one not marketed for sale on the Hampton Inn/Madison block).   Hopefully we start to see movement here to start filling out Stonewall as major urban corridor.  

I'm pumped about the hotel rooms.  The number of possible hotels in this city is awesome:

Crescent Stonewall Hotel I (300-400 rooms) *rooms are according to what I have read in the articles

Crescent Stonewall Hotel Ii (300-400 rooms)

Tryon Place Hotel (300-400 rooms)

300 S. Tryon Hotel (boutique 150 rooms)

Grand Bohemian (150 rooms?)

AC Hotel/Residence Inn (250 rooms total?)

Springhill Suites (150 rooms?)

Canopy by Hilton (150 rooms?)

Not to mention possible expansions of Westin and Hilton, and the renovations of the Marriott, Le Meridien, and Sheraton. Uptown is gaining a large number of rooms.

I'm pumped about the hotel rooms. The number of possible hotels in this city is awesome:

Crescent Stonewall Hotel I (300-400 rooms) *rooms are according to what I have read in the articles

Crescent Stonewall Hotel Ii (300-400 rooms)

Tryon Place Hotel (300-400 rooms)

300 S. Tryon Hotel (boutique 150 rooms)

Grand Bohemian (150 rooms?)

AC Hotel/Residence Inn (250 rooms total?)

Springhill Suites (150 rooms?)

Canopy by Hilton (150 rooms?)

Not to mention possible expansions of Westin and Hilton, and the renovations of the Marriott, Le Meridien, and Sheraton. Uptown is gaining a large number of rooms.

That's a lot considering Downtown Raleigh for example has only 1,011 "available" hotel rooms. Edited by AirNostrumMAD