Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clt29301

I77 Corridor

12 posts in this topic

http://www.heraldonline.com/2015/02/28/6843121/interstate-77-corridor-in-sc-flexes.html

http://www.heraldonline.com/2015/02/26/6836148/gov-haley-coming-to-fort-mill.html

Good articles from the RH Herald about developments in Fort Mill and the I77 Corridor.  LPL is building a 450k sq foot office building, the largest under construction in SC.  With 2,000 new jobs and more on the way, this will be a great development. 

On the heels of this, The Lash Group will also build a large facility in Fort Mill. 

I would expect to see more in this area as companies leverage the resources of Charlotte with the aggressive business recruitment in SC. 

http://www.heraldonline.com/2015/02/28/6843121/interstate-77-corridor-in-sc-flexes.html

http://www.heraldonline.com/2015/02/26/6836148/gov-haley-coming-to-fort-mill.html

Good articles from the RH Herald about developments in Fort Mill and the I77 Corridor. LPL is building a 450k sq foot office building, the largest under construction in SC. With 2,000 new jobs and more on the way, this will be a great development.

On the heels of this, The Lash Group will also build a large facility in Fort Mill.

I would expect to see more in this area as companies leverage the resources of Charlotte with the aggressive business recruitment in SC.

Well I am excited for our neighbors to the north. But I am curious about something the mayor of Fort Mill said in the first article. That thing is...when did York County begin to be included in the Upstate of SC. I had to read that twice to make sure I read that right. Everyone knows that the boundary stops at Cherokee and Union Counties. And I've been here a while. Maybe they were wishing. But come on.... Join the family.

Well I am excited for our neighbors to the north. But I am curious about something the mayor of Fort Mill said in the first article. That thing is...when did York County begin to be included in the Upstate of SC. I had to read that twice to make sure I read that right. Everyone knows that the boundary stops at Cherokee and Union Counties. And I've been here a while. Maybe they were wishing. But come on.... Join the family.

I agree with you....this is not the upstate.  York, Lancaster, Chester etc... are all part of Charlotte, I doubt a lot of folks in the upstate know where Fort Mill is located.   But, the upstate does need projects like this........a 450k sq foot office building with over 3,000 employees followed by another similar project.  Anyway, there is no question that York County is fast becoming another Gwinnett County.

Yeah there are areas in the Upstate that do indeed need projects like this. I cannot lie. My friend I did read the article and you didn't have to restate that bit of information. But I will say this. You making that statement about York County being or beginning to be like Gwinnett is a stretch. I mean I get it. You're a booster. You like where you live. Hell I like boosters. They have the best conversations. They always have something to talk about. Whether right or wrong. Hell you alright with me.

York is one of the fastest growing counties in SC and the growth is accelerating.  It is accelerating because the county is part of Charlotte which is one of the fastest growing areas of the country.  York has cheaper taxes and is able to tap into the aggressive industrial recruitment in SC.  Time will tell, we'll have to look back in about 10 years.

Blah blah blah. Like I said I like boosters. Being honest I like Charlotte. I lived there in the good and the bad days. I'm glad things are going the way they are. And I hope I am right about them not beginning to be like Gwinnett. That place is a mess.

Edited by MAJIKMAN

Historically, York is part of the Upcountry. The term "Upstate" is the contemporary name and in more recent times, has become more closely associated with the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson area and environs. But yes, in York County they do claim the term "upstate."

Historically, York is part of the Upcountry. The term "Upstate" is the contemporary name and in more recent times, has become more closely associated with the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson area and environs. But yes, in York County they do claim the term "upstate."

Interesting.........I have never heard that.

Johnny Harris is a strong Charlotte supporter and may get carried away at times........for instance, I don't see Charlotte as the new Southeastern Hub.  It will be the second SE hub but as Harris notes, economic and employment growth in Charlotte has outpaced Atlanta over the past five years. 

More importantly in the article, Harris mentions the work SC is doing on the I77 corridor.........."Take the disfunction of the state’s leadership in Raleigh and bankrupt incentives programs — both of which are affecting North Carolina’s ability to grow and attract new industry and retail, he says.  “Nikki Haley does more to bring jobs to just south of Charlotte,” Harris added, speaking of the S.C. governor."  SC is wise to exploit this corridor.  Nowhere in SC can you be part of a major metro with direct access to a top 10 airport, a deep labor pool and the financial resources of Charlotte. 

If a site is large enough, this corridor is without a doubt the best place for any new auto manufacturing plant. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/25/johnny-harris-goodbye-atlanta-charlotte-poised-as.html

^^^Unfortunately I think Giti took that possibility away. Now with Jaguar/Land Rover and Volvo both looking at South Carolina for a plant, I am disappointed a tire plant is using the 1100+ acre megasite considering most other tire plants that have opened up recently only required a couple hundred acres.

I am somewhat hopeful that one of those two plants could use the 300 acre site on the other side of I-77 for a plant. Conventional wisdom says auto plants need megasites, however the new MB plant in Charleston is on a 200 acre site I believe

I don't expect either of these plants will need a large site. Neither company is a major player in the US auto market or even worldwide.