vdogg

Front Street Flats

urbanvb    64

That's an iconic building for the city and I'm glad to hear it will be revitalized. This along with with Harbor's Edge 2 and this part of town will be hopping.  :good:

Edited by urbanvb

R-123    4

All the new "flats" (Front Street, Atlas and Cigar) buildings were over-budget on bid day. They will probably be value engineered and put back out to bid. 

Si7i    26

screen shot it below for you

On 12/18/2015 at 7:08 PM, urbanvb said:
24 minutes ago, Arctic_Tern said:

I Have no idea how to delete quotes 

24 minutes ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Could you post more detailed information? I can't access thou shalt grow on the computer I'm currently at.

screen.PNG

Edited by Si7i
  • Like 1

urbanlife    55
On 1/21/2016 at 9:06 AM, Si7i said:

screen shot it below for you

screen.PNG

That is a great renovation building, I always imagined it was a tear down or better yet a fall down building, but it is good to see that it will be getting new life. It is really nice to see my dream of Fort Norfolk becoming Norfolk's lofts district is really starting to become more and more of a reality.

carolinaboy    88

It appears that the rendering within the Architectural Review Board agenda packet shows a separate future building, which seems bigger than the existing building. BOOM!

NFKjeff    205

I drove by this site on Sat. 10/22. There was a contractor's truck parked on the first floor, and there was construction noise coming from various parts of the building.

• Like 1

NFKjeff    205
On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM, mikeas said:

The window openings are being expanded currently to accommodate the large windows as in the rendering.  Looks much better already.

20161117_114706.jpg

• Like 1

brikkman    56

wow so its really happening?

I hope phase two comes with ground floor retail. I hope they do not make the mistake of ground floor parking and that's it...

NFKjeff    205

Windows being installed. Top floor almost complete.

20170520_190931.jpg

20170520_191600.jpg

Edited by NFKjeff
  • Like 2

baobabs727    167

Thank God! Been waiting for years for this eyesore to be transformed. 

I hope they have an artist and some lighting experts do something with that mixing tower up there. Whatever the heck that was, forgive my ignorance. I forget now, but it was probably a cold or dry storage or warehouse building or something much as was Harborplace back in the day. 

However, it still pains me that those wonderful brick, low-slung cotton warehouses were demolished along the waterfront over there. They were awesome. 

http://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/preservationists-mourn-norfolk-warehouses-fate/article_0ed6ffef-732f-5a9f-808f-5819a5124514.html

Edited by baobabs727

NFKjeff    205
8 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Thank God! Been waiting for years for this eyesore to be transformed. 

I hope they have an artist and some lighting experts do something with that mixing tower up there. Whatever the heck that was, forgive my ignorance. I forget now, but it was probably a cold or dry storage or warehouse building or something much as was Harborplace back in the day. 

However, it still pains me that those wonderful brick, low-slung cotton warehouses were demolished along the waterfront over there. They were awesome. 

http://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/preservationists-mourn-norfolk-warehouses-fate/article_0ed6ffef-732f-5a9f-808f-5819a5124514.html

If you scroll up about seven posts you will see the rendering.

vdogg    327

In fairness those renderings were preliminary, watercolored, and not very detailed. Hard to get a feel for the final product off of that. I think what baobabs was looking for was something more along the lines of the River Tower rendering, or the final Hilton renderings.

• Like 1

baobabs727    167
33 minutes ago, vdogg said:

In fairness those renderings were preliminary, watercolored, and not very detailed. Hard to get a feel for the final product off of that. I think what baobabs was looking for was something more along the lines of the River Tower rendering, or the final Hilton renderings.

Right. I was hoping so anyway. I'm sure this thing had to pass design review, so there should be something more detailed floating around out there somewhere. Perhaps nothing we can access, however.

brikkman    56

is the second building in the rendering Peta or a new building they plan on building? If so, is it still on plan?

vdogg    327

That building is phase 2, I suppose it's still in the works. The PETA building would be to the right out of the frame of this picture.

NFKjeff    205

The land behind the Front St. Flats (phase I) is now being prepped for phase II. The lot stretches from phase I to the edge of the parking deck of The Pier condos.

I do realize that this work could be simply a beautification effort in advance of completing phase I. I'm not sure if ph. II has been reviewed or approved yet. 

20170723_123757.png

20170723_123314.jpg

Edited by NFKjeff
  • Like 1

vdogg    327

They sure are taking their sweet time installing those windows. It is possible that the entire project was presented to design review. If this is the case then they do not need further approval.

• Like 1