Scores of New Hotels for Downtown Richmond

Richmonopoly

With the constant, positive press the city has received in recent years it is quite noteworthy that airport passenger traffic is steadily increasing and as a result an influx of hotels are popping up all around the city center.  

1. Courtyard by Marriott (135 room)

8507153_15_z.jpg

2.  and the adjoining Marriott Residence Inn (75 rooms)

courtyard-first-freedom-ftd.jpg

3.  Quirk Hotel (Under Construction) - 70-75 rooms

Quirk-hotel-drawing.jpg

4. and 5.  Dual-branded: Hampton Inn & Suites AND the Homewood Suites  (Combined 244 rooms)

700EastMainStreet.jpg

6.  Hilton Hotel

This is simply a proposed hotel in Shockoe Bottom that may or may not be linked to the baseball stadium debacle:

arts_culture1-1.jpg

7.  The Doubletree is CLOSING!  

But not for long!  The hotel is about to begin extensive renovations and will rebrand and reopen as The Graduate Hotel (200 Rooms)

Richmond-Hotels-p8_377828_3057638l.jpg

HI Hostel Richmond (Opens this Summer)

street48_hostel.jpg

Not to mention the existing:

The Hilton Garden Inn - 

Which is expected to convert into a full-fledged Hilton Hotel

gi_welcomeduskexterior_1_698x390_FitToBo

The Marriott 

Which just finished a multi-million dollar renovation

ricdt_main01_r.jpg?resize=0.5x:0.5x

The Jefferson Hotel 

One of 37 5 Star Hotels in two categories.

virginia-richmond-hotel.jpg

The Crown Plaza

Major streetscape improvements and connectivity with the neighborhood is needed

Crowne-Plaza-Hotel-RICHMOND-DOWNTOWN-Hot

The Omni 

leonardo-1087837-ricric-pro-0_P-image.jp

The Berkeley Hotel

the-berkeley-hotel.jpg

The Holiday Inn Express

Streetscape/Pedestrian access improvement is needed

WELCM_EXTR_1_E.jpg

Massad House Hotel

d5dce11f-53eafca4.jpg?width=502&height=6

Linden Row Inn

Linden-Row.jpg

Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel

2631759-Commonwealth-Park-Suites-Hotel-H

It's too bad that the Westin built new in the West End versus downtown.  

Also, I live across the street from the new Courtyard in Shockoe and the increased foot traffic in the neighborhood has been great.  

I hope that a massive hotel will soon build along the Canal Walk.  A draw for pedestrian and canal level activity would be huge.

• Like 2

I see you mentioned the possible hotel in Shockoe near the propose stadium. Well, I found these design's on Odell's website showing what the call "The Pavilion Residential Community" with up to 700 units. One of the images also shows a VCU logo on the top right corner. Makes me wonder if they would scratch the hotel and go for residential only.  Also, I wonder if they would develop this separate from the stadium.

877cf9deedfd567892af51521c191528.jpg

07f37e92ec4c78e86b043cf2a3c279d5.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, drayrichmond said:

something that I've never understood is how we don't have an Aloft hotel downtown, I mean their whole deal is being modern, night life, urban

That reminded me of a hotel project that is supposed to be in the works.  Moxy by Marriot is supposed to be opening a hotel on 5th and Franklin according to RTD.  According to the site, the Moxy Richmond is supposed to be opening in "Early 2017."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

something that I've never understood is how we don't have an Aloft hotel downtown, I mean their whole deal is being modern, night life, urban

I understand that's how they market it, but most of the "Alofts" I've actually seen in person are out in the suburbs or around airports.  The W Hotel is really the urban night-life brand for Starwood. 

1 hour ago, jbjust said:

I understand that's how they market it, but most of the "Alofts" I've actually seen in person are out in the suburbs or around airports.  The W Hotel is really the urban night-life brand for Starwood. 

Unfortunately for Richmond, brands like W are probably out of reach at present.  An Indigo Hotel would be a nice addition though.

Given the elevation drop of the Martin's parking lot, I would love to see a hotel located there.  The drop allows for lower level parking with minimal excavation and street level frontage along Cary.  An additional deck of parking could accommodate hotel guests with 4-6 levels of hotel above, set back 40-50 feet to eliminate dwarfing Cary Street.  Assuming no significant changes to the soon-to-be-Publix building (though one entity owns the entire super-block with exception to Union Bank lot), a cut through with store-fronts and/or lobby access could be created through the new structure up to the Publix's entrance.  I think I have a new Sketch-up project :)

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, benstyree said:

Has there been any news on the Crowne Plaza conversion to the boutique Marriott brand, or the new hotel across the street from Penny Lane / John Marshall?

I walked by last Friday and the whole lobby is in the midst of a renovation. I did not see evidence of any changes to the facade. I was hoping there would be, but still this should be a nice upgrade.

9 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

I walked by last Friday and the whole lobby is in the midst of a renovation. I did not see evidence of any changes to the facade. I was hoping there would be, but still this should be a nice upgrade.

I don't recall an upgrade to the facade ever being part of the plan. I'm pretty sure that all the upgrades will completely be interior.  I also hoped for an upgrade outside, but I'm afraid that I (and we) will be disappointed. The only change to the outside may be a new sign...eventually.  Good to hear that the inside is looking nice!  Thanks for the update.  

16 hours ago, eandslee said:

I don't recall an upgrade to the facade ever being part of the plan. I'm pretty sure that all the upgrades will completely be interior.  I also hoped for an upgrade outside, but I'm afraid that I (and we) will be disappointed. The only change to the outside may be a new sign...eventually.  Good to hear that the inside is looking nice!  Thanks for the update.  

Lobby, outside stairway, driveway, all under renovation.  Also, the parking deck and west facing side with the signage has been painted a light grey color....hope they paint the whole thing.

• Like 1