Scores of New Hotels for Downtown Richmond

Richmonopoly

2 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

I honestly don't know anything about this hotel.  Is this hotel a big deal?

It isn't a "big" deal as far as brands  are concerned but it is an upgrade to what was there.  The renovations look great and the design is decidedly "hip".  The restaurant and bar will do a brisk business (especially the rooftop bar) which will change the feel of the neighborhood. 

So yeah, I think it's a big deal.  They painted the building (blue) and replaced all of the windows and have replanted long neglected flower beds.  It looks great. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

It isn't a "big" deal as far as brands  are concerned but it is an upgrade to what was there.  The renovations look great and the design is decidedly "hip".  The restaurant and bar will do a brisk business (especially the rooftop bar) which will change the feel of the neighborhood. 

So yeah, I think it's a big deal.  They painted the building (blue) and replaced all of the windows and have replanted long neglected flower beds.  It looks great. 

Thanks for the explanation...I just honestly did not know anything about this place. Well, it all sounds very nice indeed. I hope it is a great success!

• Like 1

And just one more thing to point out with this piece;

I could be wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of hotels left in the downtown/vcu area that haven't been remodeled or re-branded: The Hilton has been recently remodeled and upgraded, the Crown Plaza is undergoing renovation/re-branding, the Commonwealth Park Suites is or has been renovated, the Jefferson has been newly remodeled, the new Homewood Suites downtown, etc etc...

Anyway, the point is, I think if anybody wants to put another full service hotel in the urban core, then they might have to build something new. So, given the expansion our hotel industry has seen, recent articles indicate that hotels are doing great in RVA, we might see a company say it's worth it to build a new hotel somewhere in the city.

Just a thought

• Like 3

We may see more office/retail building conversions such as Hampton Inn / Homewood Suites, Moxy, Quirk and Hilton.  This would be great for new office construction.

As far as existing, I believe both Holiday Inn and Marriott have been renovated but under the same brands.  Berkeley and Omni may be the last ones left.  Hyatt and Wyndham still lack presence in downtown.

Just now, Wahoo 07 said:

One brand that I would like to see downtown is Westin.  The Reynolds Crossing one is good, but a downtown location would be great.

I almost added Westin as well but apparently they are part of Marriott.  Given that Marriott has now invested in 4 brands downtown (Marriott, Residence, Courtyard, and the Crown conversion), Westin sounds unlikely.  Wyndham and Hyatt have no presence.

On the lower end, Choice Hotels is surprisingly lacking (closest was the Comfort / Quality Inn Midtown), though they have the Clarion at Boulevard and I-95.  With the Crown conversion, InterContinental only has the Holiday Inn downtown.  Radisson's group, Carlson Rezidor, is also not present.

With the office vacancy rates the way they are in the CBD (at about 10.4%) and a possible need for a new-build hotel - there could be a case building for a new tower...especially if those two elements are combined!  I'm looking at you, big developers!  Fountain Head had one announced on the canal last year...it might be time for a renewed proposal (hopefully, taller)!

• Like 3

On 6/22/2017 at 0:39 PM, Icetera said:

I almost added Westin as well but apparently they are part of Marriott.  Given that Marriott has now invested in 4 brands downtown (Marriott, Residence, Courtyard, and the Crown conversion), Westin sounds unlikely.  Wyndham and Hyatt have no presence.

On the lower end, Choice Hotels is surprisingly lacking (closest was the Comfort / Quality Inn Midtown), though they have the Clarion at Boulevard and I-95.  With the Crown conversion, InterContinental only has the Holiday Inn downtown.  Radisson's group, Carlson Rezidor, is also not present.

Didn't Radisson have a hotel before in Monroe Ward before it got converted to something i think. I think it was in the Graduate's current spot actually

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Didn't Radisson have a hotel before in Monroe Ward before it got converted to something i think. I think it was in the Graduate's current spot actually

I believe so.  Radisson > Doubletree > Graduate

• 2 weeks later...

This could probably go under the Economy thread as well but it concentrates on the hospitality/hotel market.

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/opinion/4083631.html

Really good read on the state of the Richmond areas hotel market, with some synopsis on the areas economy and growth. I really enjoyed reading it and it comes off as a very positive article on the city.

On the Moxy Hotel "Neil Amin, President and CEO of Shamin Hotels, expects this adaptive-reuse construction project to be completed by February 2018."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

10-story Hyatt Place hotel planned for Canal Walk in downtown Richmond

From the renderings, it looks like they might have retail right on the canal too!

This is good news!  I'm excited to see another building go up on the canal!  Love the rendering...just wish it wasn't so boxy, but that's a minor critique.  Like all the glass though!

Of note:  Construction not to begin until 2nd Quarter of 2018 and completion is set for 2019.

Do you think they will connect the two parts of the canal together...inside the hotel lobby?  That would be cool!

Edited by eandslee

1 hour ago, hikendesign said:

A Friday gift from the architecture gods - love surprises and on a Friday too - time for a Hardywood Cream Ale to toast urban density.   Building looks decent and will hopefully spur more development.  The other tidbits are also good news, cheers.

p.s. Has anyone tried cream ale? it's been my summer favorite.

Certainly one of my Squirrel game go-tos!

On 8/26/2017 at 6:13 PM, eandslee said:

A few different perspectives:

See anything weird with regard to the building placement in the background?

Perspective%201.jpg

Perspective%202.jpg

Perspective%203.jpg

Hahaha, yes I do. They just seemed to randomly place Richmond buildings in the background. There is no place that you could have multiple views like that.

With that said, where exactly is this thing going to be. Also, rather pleased with the facade facing the canal.

• Like 1