Sign in to follow this  
Richmonopoly

Scores of New Hotels for Downtown Richmond

This will never be a hotel.  I was looking forward to a Moxy in town too. 

If the  one on the canal gets built, that will be the last hotel downtown for a while (one as part of the Navy Hill  project is just a pipe dream .  There’s no market demand).  There seems to be zero movement on the 18th Street hotel too ( isn’t it the same hotelier proposing that one?).

I’m still waiting for the Whole Foods site to become a Halloween store :) 

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Seems work has come to a complete stall with them removing the dumpster. 

'However, Mr.(Mark) Olinger, (City Director of Planning)  stated, “Work has stopped because (the owner) does not have an approved plan of development, which means (the owner) cannot get a building permit.  We have reached out to get additional information we need from (the owner) to finalize the plan of development,' Mr. Olinger continued. "Once that is approved, we can move to finalizing the building permit."'

http://richmondfreepress.com/news/2019/may/18/work-stopped-planned-downtown-hotel/

These things happen.  

The use is permitted  by right in B-4 zoning. I'm surprised a POD is required for demo, but perhaps due to change of use?

4 hours ago, Shakman said:

These things happen.  

Not where there is market demand. 

This is what, year 3 for the project and they still haven’t figured out the permit?   When they were doing demo it was at a pace slower than residential.  

I want this hotel at this location but I’ve lost all faith in this developer.  This Richmond forum needs a “fictional development” thread and all of these hotel proposals need to go into it :( 

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

Not where there is market demand. 

This is what, year 3 for the project and they still haven’t figured out the permit?   When they were doing demo it was at a pace slower than residential.  

I want this hotel at this location but I’ve lost all faith in this developer.  This Richmond forum needs a “fictional development” thread and all of these hotel proposals need to go into it :( 

I understand the frustration and I don't know what the problem is, but Shamin has developed other hotels like The Hampton Inn downtown and they are currently building a Residence Inn by Johnston-Willis Hospital. They have a history of completing the projects they announce, so not sure why you would lose faith in them. I do agree, things don't look good for this project for whatever reason...but I wouldn't lose faith in the developer. I have also seen that the Moxy website has never had this project listed as a coming soon for whatever that is worth. So perhaps Shamin couldn't reach an agreement with Moxy about some aspect of the development. 

Ok.  I’ll keep the faith in them :) 

Aren’t they the ones behind the farmers market hotel too?  Haven’t seen any life at that site either. 

There is ample demand for new hotel development in downtown Richmond. There are additional flags looking for sites downtown in addition to what has been publicized. Stalled projects are not always about developer capability or market demand. Sometimes there are other frustrating factors.

5 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Ok.  I’ll keep the faith in them :) 

Aren’t they the ones behind the farmers market hotel too?  Haven’t seen any life at that site either. 

That project was / is a different developer...Louis Salomonsky. Again, he has a lot of completed projects so not sure what is going on with this one. It would be nice to see, but I can see a hotel being hesitant on this spot without being tied to another major draw and a somewhat unappealing piece of property visually at this point.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/richmond-city-council-rezones-shockoe-bottom-property-where-developers-are/article_9def449a-2a01-578b-97ef-97f28e35dea0.amp.html

• Like 1