Scores of New Hotels for Downtown Richmond

Richmonopoly

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Nice coverage in today's Richmond BizSense about the Moxy Hotel's opening downtown.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/09/bar-centric-hotel-brand-moxy-checks-in-downtown/

I’ve never stayed in a windowless hotel room, says there are about 12 of them like that due to their location along the adjoining parking deck, call them “vampire rooms”. That wouldn’t be my first choice and interesting that they focused on them, trying to turn a negative into a positive. 

4 minutes ago, Hike said:

I’ve never stayed in a windowless hotel room, says there are about 12 of them like that due to their location along the adjoining parking deck, call them “vampire rooms”. That wouldn’t be my first choice and interesting that they focused on them, trying to turn a negative into a positive. 

Yeah, I wish they had just built a new hotel. The exterior doesn’t match the interior flashiness that screams Moxy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Yeah, I wish they had just built a new hotel. The exterior doesn’t match the interior flashiness that screams Moxy. 

None of the images illustrating the interior show one window or anything that looks well illuminated, from these images, the hotel looks dark and cramped. I assume there are areas that have good lighting and some natural light, to me, showing some of those would have helped, I feel like, by looking at these, the hotel is in a basement and uninviting. 

6 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

You guys are being negative but haven't been in it. It's actually pretty cool and a great addition to downtown. I kind of like the subdued exterior with a vibrant interior.

Agree, haven’t been there. I do feel images and articles tell stories though. Interior photography is not easy, hard to capture small spaces and you need good lighting. Here’s one of the rooms that are a representation of the hotel. 

3427C633-A803-4E4B-81F7-D601FE6A6F99.jpeg

9 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

That's not a room, it's where you get ice and extra towels.

Ok, that’s probably right. I must be old and the hotel brand is probably appealing to a much younger generation. I do find it interesting though that a piece on a newly opened hotel that is unique and artistic describes 12 rooms without windows, where there are 88 with windows and show an image of the ice machine room. 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

Yep can't argue with that. For me, the real story is that this wasn't just converted to apartments like everything else. It's making downtown feel sleepy. Hotels tend to create a good street level energy, and this is a nice linkage with the larger hotels at 5th and Broad heading towards Brown's Island/the river/Costar complex. Need Bill Goodwin to put his vacant blocks in Monroe Ward into play at some point and that will be a really cool north to south stretch downtown.

Edited by wrldcoupe4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Yep can't argue with that. For me, the real story is that this wasn't just converted to apartments like everything else. It's making downtown feel sleepy. Hotels tend to create a good street level energy, and this is a nice linkage with the larger hotels at 5th and Broad heading towards Brown's Island/the river/Costar complex. Need Bill Goodwin to put his vacant blocks in Monroe Ward into play at some point and that will be a really north to south stretch downtown.

Totally agree with you and hotels like this are great at creating the energy, my criticism, and I love RBS, is the representation. As mentioned in an earlier post, interior architectural photography is hard to capture, this is my criticism really and the focus on less important parts of the hotel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Yep can't argue with that. For me, the real story is that this wasn't just converted to apartments like everything else. It's making downtown feel sleepy. Hotels tend to create a good street level energy, and this is a nice linkage with the larger hotels at 5th and Broad heading towards Brown's Island/the river/Costar complex.

Need Bill Goodwin to put his vacant blocks in Monroe Ward into play at some point and that will be a really cool north to south stretch downtown.

1,) Agreed, Coupe, all the way around.

2.) Would Goodwin be willing to do that, though? Put land into play for possible competition to the Jefferson? Mind you - I agree with you - getting another large (and brand-name) hotel in that part of downtown would be a HUGE plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBobbyG said:

The redditor's opinions are of course valid but in my own opinion they are hating on it a little much. I've been to the one in NYC and loved it (and it's bar). I've also heard from people who have gone to this one's happy hour already and said it was a fun time and a cool space.

Oh good! I hadn’t heard of this brand and have never been to one and unaware of their process. Sounds like you check in at the bar.  I had mentioned this earlier, the experience sounds like it would be for younger generations and people who are more outgoing, extrovert personalities, walk in and you’re already at the bar.  My check in style is typically arrive late, walk the stairs to my room, order a pizza, watch TV, hope to see no one.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

This is a great news article on the 2% increase in hotel costs for hotel rooms rented by tourists.  Remember, this fee is to go to Richmond tourism advertising.  It's exciting to read the words that Mr. Jack Berry speaks about Richmond and how it has shot up out of the pandemic!

https://www.nbc12.com/2023/04/05/tourists-visiting-richmond-region-could-soon-see-2-fee-hotel-bill/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=organicclicks

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This is a great news article on the 2% increase in hotel costs for hotel rooms rented by tourists.  Remember, this fee is to go Richmond tourisms advertising.  It's exciting to read the words that Mr. Jack Berry speaks about Richmond and how it has shot up out of the pandemic!

https://www.nbc12.com/2023/04/05/tourists-visiting-richmond-region-could-soon-see-2-fee-hotel-bill/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=organicclicks

I'll be interested to see if there's any pushback. I can't see a modest increase in hotel fees kiboshing the region's tourism industry. Not sure why locals would oppose it.

• Like 1