222 2nd Ave. South, 25 Stories|305 Feet, 391,000 sq. ft., $100 million

Paramount747

Kinda like this beauty? :unsure:

Capture.png

Worked in that building for 5 solid years, and was embarrassed to be seen entering (and leaving).  It needs to come down ─ that's what it needs ─ because its outdated and a real eyesore.  Think the owners are those who own the L&C, but unlike with L&C, the state gave in from trying to get out of some new 10-year leases that it made with the property mgr back in 2011 or so.
-==-

• Like 1

I'd be fine with that. I don't mind Encore at all. I actually think it's done a pretty good job of providing street level retail (i.e. restaurants). When I think of Encore I don't think of a pedestal with stuff above it.

I'd be fine with it too, but I guess it'd be nice to be wowed by a design for once rather than shrugging my shoulders and saying 'well, it's better than nothing.'  Glass rectangles aren't unattractive, but we already have a million of them, and given the fact that the folks behind the project seemed to be really proud of the design they had planned, I suppose I was crossing my fingers for more than just another box.  All that being said though, as you stated, regardless of how the tower ends up looking, as long as it provides some nice ground level retail and contributes to the festive outdoor atmosphere created by having the amphitheater across the street, then that's what is most important.

Edited by BnaBreaker

Worked in that building for 5 solid years, and was embarrassed to be seen entering (and leaving).  It needs to come down ─ that's what it needs ─ because its outdated and a real eyesore.  Think the owners are those who own the L&C, but unlike with L&C, the state gave in from trying to get out of some new 10-year leases that it made with the property mgr back in 2011 or so.-==-

No..........! Cannot tear this down. 22 stories and 262 feet would cost a fortune. The Office Of Bart Durham takes up several floors. I have heard this may be rehabbed into residential at some point. I have also heard rumors of a new owner adding 5-10 floors to the tower. With amazing views of the river and the new ball park, this is a building worth saving. 

This building is in a perfect position to be totally rehabbed.

I know its 1960's brutalism, but it does have it's charm. This would be a great loss to take this down.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 3

No..........! Cannot tear this down. 22 stories and 262 feet would cost a fortune. The Office Of Bart Durham takes up several floors. I have heard this may be rehabbed into residential at some point. I have also heard rumors of a new owner adding 5-10 floors to the tower. With amazing views of the river and the new ball park, this is a building worth saving. 

I know its 1960's brutalism, but it does have it's charm. This would be a great loss to take this down.

You know I'm a preservationist, but Parkway Towers may be one of the ugliest buildings in the city, bar none. I would not shed a tear at its demolition.

• Like 4

I don't agree with the charm part, and if any building DT that does have charm, it's the 1953 blt. Lifeway Sullivan tower, which I am told likely will get razed.  But then I "liked" your post, with the condition that you'll use your clout to get that ugly-a$$ thing fixed up.  All kinds of defense attorneys "live" there, and I used to pass and nod at Bart and Blair all the time, before I my agency (Probation and Parole) got broken up, with the Prob. half going to Dept of Correction in the Rachel JaX state off. bldg. (the short, fat and squatty one (6th Ave and Charlotte) on the same block as Andrew JaX).  The Public Defender's office is on the 20th fl. I was stationed on the 14th fl, and my work covered floors 13-16.  Parking is floors 2-9.  Yes, the building has no reason to "go anywhere" in the foreseeable, as it has garnered a consistently high-occupancy, tenancy rate, leasing to a number of relatively small state agencies for their central office work areas.

I can assure you that the thing is structurally sound, as I have had occasion to wander the entire tower.  I just hate the exterior finish, and it needs an enormous makeover, particularly those tacky expanded-metal screens covering the exterior of the parking levels.  It does have interesting thick travertine panel cladding at the elevator foyer on the 1st and ground floors.  I even got lucky enough to telecommute for a week back in June 2010, when a sprinkler main shorted out a transformer in the basement and set off heavy smoke damage (had to evacuate the entire building's worth of tenants.
-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

The cost of razing  a building this size is nothing short of exorbitant, and the preparation of buildings surrounding the area is also very expensive. When they razed the Sudakem Building for the Cumberland,  that 12 story building covered the Renaissance in so much dust, it took months to clean it up.

Razing Sullivan Tower would be a tragedy.

This list is interesting. Not many buildings are actually razed. Some of these are outside the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_voluntarily_demolished_buildings

More than I thought however.

Edited by Paramount747

The cost of razing  a building this size is nothing short of exorbitant, and the preparation of buildings surrounding the area is also very expensive. When they razed the Sudakem Building for the Cumberland,  that 12 story building covered the Renaissance in so much dust, it took months to clean it up.

Razing Sullivan Tower would be a tragedy.

This list is interesting. Not many buildings are actually razed. Some of these are outside the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_voluntarily_demolished_buildings

More than I thought however.

As a child, some 60 years ago, I actually (barely) recall being inside Hudson's Dept. Store in Detroit, mentioned in the link.  I had forgotten all about it until now.
-==-

Worked in that building for 5 solid years, and was embarrassed to be seen entering (and leaving).  It needs to come down ─ that's what it needs ─ because its outdated and a real eyesore.  Think the owners are those who own the L&C, but unlike with L&C, the state gave in from trying to get out of some new 10-year leases that it made with the property mgr back in 2011 or so.-==-

Actually, when it was first built as Nashville's third "skyscraper", it looked better as it had a different paint scheme. You can make the 'lipstick on a pig' comments, but the earth tone painted facade was far more appealing than what is there now. Someone decided to paint it white and black sometime later and that uglified it tremendously.

But yes, it is symbolic of developers lack of confidence in continued growth of Nashville's economy that prevents them from taking the extra step in creating an architectural masterpiece, while in Atlanta or Dallas or Austin, developers know they have to build something that makes a statement if they are to attract tenants. 

Maybe, the Uptown/Lifeway developers will use their high profile location to do something spectacular. They are already willing to invest over a half billion in Nashville

• Like 2

Actually, when it was first built as Nashville's third "skyscraper", it looked better as it had a different paint scheme. You can make the 'lipstick on a pig' comments, but the earth tone painted facade was far more appealing than what is there now. Someone decided to paint it white and black sometime later and that uglified it tremendously.

But yes, it is symbolic of developers lack of confidence in continued growth of Nashville's economy that prevents them from taking the extra step in creating an architectural masterpiece, while in Atlanta or Dallas or Austin, developers know they have to build something that makes a statement if they are to attract tenants. 

Maybe, the Uptown/Lifeway developers will use their high profile location to do something spectacular. They are already willing to invest over a half billion in Nashville

-=:rofl:=-

Guess that's why I was so embarrassed and wore a hoodie every time I reported to and left from work though the front vestibule.

Edited by rookzie

• 2 weeks later...

This explains the delay…they are trying to buy out the entire block for the project instead of the current 85% they have now. It is the 2 story building that Qualifacts is in that they are attempting to purchase.  

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/9/1/developers_seek_sobro_lot_consolidation