222 2nd Ave. South, 25 Stories|305 Feet, 391,000 sq. ft., $100 million

Paramount747

It all comes down to the fact that Arkitekte is right.  I know he hates me with a passion because I used to be real critical of these types of projects!  In the end it's all about money. Gone are the days when architecture was part of the American Culture. Gone are the days when grand buildings were constructed for art and sculpture as well as form and function. My great grandfather worked on the Empire State Bulding. My uncle worked on the World Trade Center Towers. The New York of the 1920's-1940's is gone forever. Great trio Jazz is gone forever as is real rock and roll, Johnny Cash, and muscle cars. The days of the great American architects is also now dead. Very rarely is a piece of art constructed anymore. Now cities are all starting to look the same to the point where no-one even notices anymore. Only people like us notice, and we cannot admit the last great piece of architecture in Nashville was the L&C Tower in 1957 or possibly the Post Modern Snodgrass Tower in 1970. It's all gone downhill from there.

So if we are building glass boxes, that is what money can afford. It's no wonder why I would rather live in Europe where real architecture is still cherished.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 1

The last "great" pieces of architecture in Nashville, per yourself, were also boxes, just with A LOT more concrete on them. Gotcha. 

Nash, you have a point, but The Snodgrass Tower has many subtle lines that differentiate it from other "boxes." Post Modernism was about lines and directional planes. The changes were subtle at the same time they were bold and monolithic . Next time you are in town, walk up to the northeast corner and look up at the tower and its  juxtoposition to the horizon. It's just beautiful. The L&C Tower does need a sandblast and washing as it were, but again we have the Mid-Century Modernism with Greco-Roman and Art Deco elements. Again, we have clean lines and powerful fins that bring the naked eye to the top of the tower in a clean and jettisoned feel.

The L&C to me is still the most significant structure in downtown. Not because of its age or history, but because of its presence and relationship to the street and the pedestrian walkways.

My point about architectural significance is one of deep spiritual meaning. When I look at a piece of architecture, I want to experience God. I want to experience the universe. I want the visceral experience of humanity and the promise and inspiration to create something great. I just don't get that with much architecture after 1970. I think we lose something as a culture when we sacrifice architectural elements to save money on the bottom line.

• Like 3

It all comes down to the fact that Arkitekte is right.  I know he hates me with a passion because I used to be real critical of these types of projects!  In the end it's all about money. Gone are the days when architecture was part of the American Culture. Gone are the days when grand buildings were constructed for art and sculpture as well as form and function. My great grandfather worked on the Empire State Bulding. My uncle worked on the World Trade Center Towers. The New York of the 1920's-1940's is gone forever. Great trio Jazz is gone forever as is real rock and roll, Johnny Cash, and muscle cars. The days of the great American architects is also now dead. Very rarely is a piece of art constructed anymore. Now cities are all starting to look the same to the point where no-one even notices anymore. Only people like us notice, and we cannot admit the last great piece of architecture in Nashville was the L&C Tower in 1957 or possibly the Post Modern Snodgrass Tower in 1970. It's all gone downhill from there.

So if we are building glass boxes, that is what money can afford. It's no wonder why I would rather live in Europe where real architecture is still cherished.

I can't hate you because you gave me a complement. 

• Like 1

I've come out of retirement just to say the L&C tower is just about the ugliest building in Nashville. I can only hope that sometime in the future something is built that will completely block it out. It's ugly as sin just like the Keeble building was and that's why nobody other then a select few here on this forum cares that it's being put out of its misery. There are countless of beautiful buildings built around the country in its time, the L&C is not one of them. NOTHING about that tower says.....wow, now thats great architecture right there. Lol!  If this building was in NYC it would have been demolished a long time ago. 

End rant....bottoms up guys....see ya!

There's no "logic" that plays into this my good man.  You're generally not a fan of old buildings.  I get it.  But this is all nothing more than subjectivity at play, so I'm not sure why you're acting like there is something more than mere personal preference behind your opinion.  By the way, if we follow your line of reasoning here, towers that are seen more or less universally as examples of "beautiful architecture," like say, The Chrysler Building, should have hundreds of copy cats around the world.  They dont.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

Again arkitekte is correct. The L&C Tower was built in cooperation with the Vanderbilt Astronomy Department to determine how the fins should be placed based on our position in the solar system at the time. The sun warms the tower in the winter through the fins, and the fins block the sun in the summer. Pretty ingenious design for 1955 when construction started. The shape, which is only a 7000 square foot floor plate, was orientated to reflect the earth and sun position to achieve the heating and cooling effect. Again, this building is a masterpiece and one of the first skyscrapers built using steel to utilize welding as opposed to riveting used from 1895-through the early 1950's. There may still be some rivets in the steel frame, but the 1950's saw the surge of welding. My great grandfather was a rivet man on such buildings as the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. In the architecture community, the L&C Tower is a prime example of Mid Century Modernism moving into the Post Modernist age. 

The way it soars above the street is almost unmatched. It draws your eyes up.

LampC_zps79684792.jpg

It's a shame the southern side doesn't look so grand.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...