Paramount747

222 2nd Ave. South/Hines/Hayes Office Tower, 25 Stories|305 Feet, 391,000 sq. ft., $100 million

644 posts in this topic

Uh-oh! MDHA is not going to be happy about that!  Short and squatty... and preferably very ugly boxes are the name of their game. 

It will be 25 floors plus a mechanical penthouse. The first floor above the garage level is the 12th.

1 person likes this

The windows actually look pretty nice. 

1 person likes this

Twenty Five is all I see as well.

If you look on the second shot, you can see that there are 12 levels of pedestal/parking garage, and then 15 floors above that (counting the beginning of the 15th at the south end). 

It's not a building, it's an Escher drawing. Image result for Escher

And that trailer park siding over the garage is intended to put you in a mesmerizing trance. 

3 people like this

That second pic is amazing. I would not know that city if I had not followed all that's going on there. 

OK... ATT tower would have been a giveaway. 

2 people like this

I really hate how this building completely blocks The Sobro from Ascend Amphitheater. If only The Sobro was in front, I'd feel much better about this building. 

1 person likes this

Speaking of losing sidewalks (reference to the 5th and Broadway recent discussion), we gain one sidewalk from the SoBro side, they take away the covered sidewalk on the Hines/Hayes side. Oy! 

IMG_7199.JPG

1 person likes this

From The Tennessean:

The developers of the 222 office tower that's rising in the area south of Broadway are seeking approval for a ground-mounted monument sign that will include the name of the building and spaces for names of tenants.

On Tuesday, Houston-based Hines and local C.B. Ragland Co. also plan to present skyline, canopy and pedestrian parking signage to the Metro Development and Housing Agency's design review committee.

Nashville-based Gresham Smith and Partners is the architecture and interior design firm and will also be an anchor tenant for the building that's rising at 222 2nd Ave. S. In addition to office space, the 25-story, 390,000-square foot tower will include 25,000 square feet of ground-level retail and restaurant space.

222 2nd Ave South signage, April, 2017.png

1 person likes this

The signage could not possibly be as hideous as the facade.  Maybe even improve the appearance of this one. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 4/3/2017 at 9:21 PM, MLBrumby said:

That second pic is amazing. I would not know that city if I had not followed all that's going on there. 

OK... ATT tower would have been a giveaway. 

I would probably think some other city had built a building just like the ATT tower if I saw that picture and hadn't been following what's going on.

Edited by Philip
2 people like this

^ Gah those make my eyes hurt.

3 people like this

It just doesn't flow at all. To me it looks like two separate companies designed the building and parking garage. Or that the garage was built and then years later the tower added up top. I could tolerate the building if it was hidden downtown, but not on the riverfront. Such a waste of a highly visible spot.  

4 people like this

4 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

It just doesn't flow at all. To me it looks like two separate companies designed the building and parking garage. Or that the garage was built and then years later the tower added up top. I could tolerate the building if it was hidden downtown, but not on the riverfront. Such a waste of a highly visible spot.  

222 and Encore should swap locations

1 person likes this

If you stare at it and squint your eyes, you can see an elephant.  Or Elvis. 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

If you stare at it and squint your eyes, you can see an elephant.  Or Elvis. 

Or what Elvis dropped in the pool after he died on the throne... But then I just saw the new Hyatt design and that makes this look like a work of art.

1 person likes this

25 floors + Mechanical Penthouse - to my understanding.

OK, so I am a bit confused. The media and subsequent documentation had indicated that they were including extra floors... up to at least 27 floors I believe. I believe I could go back and retrieve the articles if I researched further. Is this not true? Is there anyone here who can confirm this? I remember it seemed like a done deal at the time.

John, paramount747, just called and said the highest occupied floor is 25 and there is a mechanical portion on top of that which would be like 27, but I think the height is only counted from the highest occupied. He could see the roof top from his place on Main.

1 person likes this

Oh wow! A double blow... you no longer have a skyline view (bad enough), but now you're forced to look at that damn zebra-stripe-piano-keys-cheesy-trailer-park siding. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Oh wow! A double blow... you no longer have a skyline view (bad enough), but now you're forced to look at that damn zebra-stripe-piano-keys-cheesy-trailer-park siding. 

If there is a silver-lining, it is I hope that whatever is on ground level is something amazing.  Not fond of spending close to $20 for lunch on something like at The Southern or The Diner.  Fingers crossed.  

3 people like this