Paramount747

222 2nd Ave. South/Hines/Hayes Office Tower, 25 Stories|305 Feet, 391,000 sq. ft., $100 million

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

And that's the sad part: for that location, it would have been incredibly cool if the zebra pattern was instead a piano keyboard (if tastefully designed)

Yes...something subtle like the keyboard on the front of the CMHoF.

I know! I know! There's no shortage of comments about this building. Overall it's a really big miss. But that street level looks quite promising. So as long as you don't look up, it's fine. (About to say something rarely said here) At least it's not taller. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I know! I know! There's no shortage of comments about this building. Overall it's a really big miss. But that street level looks quite promising. So as long as you don't look up, it's fine. (About to say something rarely said here) At least it's not taller. 

It is really growing on me. I appreciate the bold choices. If the program is to put a glass box on top of a big ass concrete garage, there is some real interesting treatments. It doesn't just fade into the background.

The curtainwall pattern is the most interesting in town right now. I wish the garage was clad in that same curtainwall, but I would guess that was purely a budget decision.

You are right... the ground floor activation is impressive for an office building.

Maybe they can wrap the garage with some kind of electronic billboards. I love the glass and the street activation this is gonna have.

• Like 2

I will admit that I like the way the mullions on the curtain wall look, especially the corners. I f you look at the corner of the building in the above picture, the mullions give the building a staggered affect. I you stare at it long enough you will see what I mean. Just don't stare at the garage to long. I'm still seeing lines in my vision.

On a side note, I'm guessing it's safe to say that this building won't have any sort of exterior lighting on the facade??

Edited by TNinVB

The glass treatment along with the garage covering is just way too much. One or the other would work well enough, but the effect of them together is pretty garish. This is a building that actually could have benefited from a smooth glass facade like most of the other highrises going up around the city. 

• Like 1

Not sure a building can get as boxy as this one. But at least we have a building on the riverfront that represents Nashville architecture.

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Pharmacy Burger to open a locale in 222 2nd Ave. South Tower:

To be called Liberty Common and modeled after Balthazar in London.        Sounds great!     

• Like 2

I like the finished product, much better than I expected. Once/if SAP is built it'll be more of the "centetpiece" from the river, and 222 will be a good looking "ornament" to the side.

• Like 3

I like how the lighting for the piece in the lobby looks. Since the design is the same as the parking garage facade, it would be nice if the facade was lit the same way. 

• Like 1

Every pic that's posted makes this thing look a little better. It definitely needs some neighbors to help activate the street and keep the eyes at ground level. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, memphian said:

Every pic that's posted makes this thing look a little better. It definitely needs some neighbors to help activate the street and keep the eyes at ground level. 

I think I'm one of the very few who actually likes it....  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

I actually like it too. nothing ground breaking but it's not an eyesore by any stretch IMO. imagine if the westin were built in this location on the river. that thing is the ugliest building out of all the highrises, new or old IMO. atrocious. 

• Like 2

I'd like it a lot more if it didn't completely block from the river one of Nashville's two buildings with any sort of curve on them (The Sobro). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I'd like it a lot more if it didn't completely block from the river one of Nashville's two buildings with any sort of curve on them (The Sobro). 

I agree. Who could've imagined 5 years ago that a high rise would be built in SoBro that would almost completely block another high rise that had just been completed. The curves are such a nice addition to the skyline but they're nearly totally hidden. 

11 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I agree. Who could've imagined 5 years ago that a high rise would be built in SoBro that would almost completely block another high rise that had just been completed. The curves are such a nice addition to the skyline but they're nearly totally hidden. 

I'm just hopeful the 2-tower development scheduled next to this one actually happens.  It will go a long ways towards drawing the eyes away from this tower.   Then...with great street-level retail, everything will be near perfect.  I think that's all we need...something that lessens the impact of this tower on the river-side of the skyline.