222 2nd Ave. South, 25 Stories|305 Feet, 391,000 sq. ft., $100 million

Paramount747

• 2 weeks later...

I know! I know! There's no shortage of comments about this building. Overall it's a really big miss. But that street level looks quite promising. So as long as you don't look up, it's fine. (About to say something rarely said here) At least it's not taller. 

It is really growing on me. I appreciate the bold choices. If the program is to put a glass box on top of a big ass concrete garage, there is some real interesting treatments. It doesn't just fade into the background.

The curtainwall pattern is the most interesting in town right now. I wish the garage was clad in that same curtainwall, but I would guess that was purely a budget decision.

You are right... the ground floor activation is impressive for an office building.

I will admit that I like the way the mullions on the curtain wall look, especially the corners. I f you look at the corner of the building in the above picture, the mullions give the building a staggered affect. I you stare at it long enough you will see what I mean. Just don't stare at the garage to long. I'm still seeing lines in my vision.

On a side note, I'm guessing it's safe to say that this building won't have any sort of exterior lighting on the facade??

Edited by TNinVB

The glass treatment along with the garage covering is just way too much. One or the other would work well enough, but the effect of them together is pretty garish. This is a building that actually could have benefited from a smooth glass facade like most of the other highrises going up around the city. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, memphian said:

Every pic that's posted makes this thing look a little better. It definitely needs some neighbors to help activate the street and keep the eyes at ground level. 

I think I'm one of the very few who actually likes it....  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I'd like it a lot more if it didn't completely block from the river one of Nashville's two buildings with any sort of curve on them (The Sobro). 

I agree. Who could've imagined 5 years ago that a high rise would be built in SoBro that would almost completely block another high rise that had just been completed. The curves are such a nice addition to the skyline but they're nearly totally hidden. 

11 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I agree. Who could've imagined 5 years ago that a high rise would be built in SoBro that would almost completely block another high rise that had just been completed. The curves are such a nice addition to the skyline but they're nearly totally hidden. 

I'm just hopeful the 2-tower development scheduled next to this one actually happens.  It will go a long ways towards drawing the eyes away from this tower.   Then...with great street-level retail, everything will be near perfect.  I think that's all we need...something that lessens the impact of this tower on the river-side of the skyline.