222 2nd Ave. South, 25 Stories|305 Feet, 391,000 sq. ft., $100 million

Paramount747

Steve Johnson, the executive VP of Gresham Smith & Partners (Nashville-based company that offer architecture, engineering, land planning and interior design services) participated in a wide-ranging interview about development in downtown Nashville in today's Nashville Post.  Here are a few thoughts he had about 222 2nd Ave. South, which they designed and where they will be one of the primary tenants:

"With nearly all of its space leased before it even opens, the 222 building is shaping up to be a huge success by any economic measure. Buildings are also judged by how they engage with their surroundings, which is why we worked very closely with Hines and C.B. Ragland to take advantage of every opportunity for street-level activation. There will be nearly 25,000 square feet of ground-floor restaurants, cafes and lobbies that feature rich and textured facades.  222’s focus is on people and interactions, which I think is a very successful approach."

The full interview is here:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/people/article/20978469/weve-carefully-studied-vehicular-and-pedestrian-pathways

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

That exterior lighting is so cool. Why can't we get something like that??? Heck the Omni doesn't even light up their facade anymore. 

That's what I've been wondering. A mediocre design can be completely redeemed if it has an awesome exterior lightening scheme. That's honestly what kind of helps the Westin to not be a complete eyesore, IMO. By day it's an abomination but at night the colorful lighting of the top level really makes the skyline pop. 

• Like 3

Gresham, Smith & Partners shows its new offices at 222 2nd:

59dd1dd4d8a77_ScreenShot2017-10-10at2_19_33PM.png.efbdee26628adf5887447411b808106f.png
59dd1dd62f044_ScreenShot2017-10-10at2_19_51PM.png.fe93899b591fd2b5e5c4a388b04aa26e.png

No offense to anyone who opposes my point of view, but YUCK!!!

It looks completely unfinished, and I'm not even referring to the (overused) exposed industrial ceiling motif (which in my opinion is way past it's prime now. To me it is no longer "chic" at all.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I'd like it a lot more if it didn't completely block from the river one of Nashville's two buildings with any sort of curve on them (The Sobro). 

The Sobro looks like it belongs on the Florida Coast. It isn’t beautiful just because it has curves. I find it rather hideous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, NoChesterHester said:

The Sobro looks like it belongs on the Florida Coast. It isn’t beautiful just because it has curves. I find it rather hideous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hideous is a pretty strong word. If you think that is hideous, then you must dislike a big chunk of our skyline 

Hideous is a pretty strong word. If you think that is hideous, then you must dislike a big chunk of our skyline 

Ok true. Perhaps a bit hyperbolic.

However, I don’t care for the building and don’t think it fits into its surroundings. It isn’t a strong enough object building to stand on its own as iconic. When the rest of the lots around it fill in and I just becomes part of the fabric I will have zero objection.

7 hours ago, chris holman said:

The sobro has character and thought put into the architecture unlike everything else that normally gets built in Nashville  

I love the curves on SoBro, and I wish the 222 bldg and the SoBro could've swapped places. However, I will say that from across the river, the window detail on 222 distracts from its vulgar parking garage. Of course, if you are at street level, or at the Ascend, it's rather garish, but from the Nissan Stadium area or from the interstate, it really isn't that displeasing. 

• Like 3

I really have no problem with the 'zebra stripe' design on the parking garage in and of itself.  It's different.  In fact, I kinda like it because it breaks up the monotony of the boring blue glass surrounding it... on the other hand, I'm torn, because it really clashes with the boring blue glass surrounding it.  lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NashRugger said:

It literally looks like one of those triple ad billboards that has the rotating triangle sections for the ads and it got stuck. This was before digital billboards became affordable and commonplace.

That would actually be better if it WAS one of those rotating billboards.  We'd have something different to look at every few seconds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...