222 2nd Ave. South, 25 Stories|305 Feet, 391,000 sq. ft., $100 million

Paramount747

This explains the delay…they are trying to buy out the entire block for the project instead of the current 85% they have now. It is the 2 story building that Qualifacts is in that they are attempting to purchase.  

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/9/1/developers_seek_sobro_lot_consolidation

That would be the Liggett Building

I actually kinda like the Liggett Building.  When compared to the rear end of the parking garage that would likely replace it, it is certainly the more appealing of the two from a pedestrian's point of view.

The Hayes Building design calls for several large tracts on the first floor for restaurant/retail facing 2nd Ave. and 1st Avenue.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the image.  Yep, another blue glass box.  But hey, it's not bad.  It looks like it'll be pretty great at street level, and the garage portion is more attractive than most.  I guess I just expected more since they kept bragging about how incredible and creative the design was going to be.  Oh well.

• Like 4

Couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the image.  Yep, another blue glass box.  But hey, it's not bad.  It looks like it'll be pretty great at street level, and the garage portion is more attractive than most.  I guess I just expected more since they kept bragging about how incredible and creative the design was going to be.  Oh well.

I agree. That was my response as well. It's not bad for a box....but at least put a couple of interesting angles in it, so it's not just 4 sided (say, like the Buckingham proposal in the Gulch). I realize that money is always an issue, and developers are looking to get the most for their money....but I wish architects would....think outside the box a little bit.

• Like 4

Can you imagine how confused a tourist would be if they asked for directions and we told them to turn at the building shaped like a "big glass box?"  

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 4

Yawn.  I've seen better in the toilet after a long night of drinking.

Still...it addresses a vacant lot and I'm okay with that.  

As for the "postcard" comment by the architects, yeah okay...if you're talking about making a postcard shot of the city of Topeka maybe...not Nashville.

If that wall that is the garage was plastered with a huge LED screen with cool Nashville images and updates...it would make the building better.  Right now...it's just another box, but good to see the street activation.

vppo03_may2013%20NY_portAuthority-%20LoR

I'm thinking maybe the blank wall that CenterHill referenced is going to serve as a screen onto which they can project images/video.  I imagine it's too far from the park for meaningful 'movies on the green' type screenings (though maybe not?), but they could still put interesting stuff up there from time to time (classic country videos, stills from opry glory days, Mariota home movies) and this is the only plan I can imagine that would make this project arguably interesting enough to be put on a postcard.

It's another glass box, but it's a relatively nice one at least.

• Like 2