Orlando Central | 325-feet Residential [Approved]

bic

You know what stands out to me most in the top, aerial, render?  Just how sad and depressing the block, and it's occupant building, the former Old Southern Bank (Tetris) tower, is... but I digress.  

As for the topic of this thread, any infill west of Orange excites me.  Hope it has legs.  

I have faith in this one. As some regulars may remember: there is a universal rule. No new high-rises may be built within my view of the skyline. It is my personal first world problem.

As it turns out, I'm moving to the opposite corner of 55 West next month and this will be completely out of view. 

That's all the evidence I need.

• Like 1

I love the idea of an off-set parking pedestal, giving the illusion of a tower rising straight up from the street but I think that this site is one of the few instances where a parking pedestal may be preferred. Here we have I-4 on one side of the building and a busy railroad corridor directly abutting the opposite side. Those lower floor condos are going to be dealing with SunRail and freight trains rolling by all day and night to go along with their view of the parking garage across the railroad tracks. Seems like a full pedestal would be the practical move here.

• Like 1

Ill take one for the team on this project.  Totally eclipses the Citrus Bowl for me, plus any glimmer of the City Soccer stadium I will have.  I second this project moving north east and supplanting the Tetris building.  Saves my view and revitalizes that section of Orange. Speaking of the Tetris building, whats the deal with the deconstruction around that area? Any development plans?

Hopefully the City will make them disguise the garage better from I-4.  Will Gertrude Avenue continue to exist to the east?  I think having the east of the building continue to the ground level is great with Gertrude's Walk to be finished up in that area.  I agree that the lower floor views of the garage across the tracks are an issue though.  I assume the City will require future retail space along Garland and Washington (and hopefully Jefferson).  Water table is pretty low here.  They could probably get two full floors (at least one) of parking underground if they tried.

I want to like this project for all the obvious reasons but like others, I see a lot of flaws in the design and layout (also not a fan of the beach-style balconies). It's not hard to see that the developer and architect are not local, and likely haven't spent much time at the lot.

I'm no Baker Barrios fan, but I can understand why they are the obvious choice when it comes to downtown mid and high rise development. They know Orlando well enough to design a building that responds to the built environment. The buildings they design actually get built.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe they'll put an open air rectangle on it (again) ;)

i'm all for design standards but sometimes it annoys me when gov't tries to play design architect.  this building actually has some style design-wise.  

i understand enforcing code and following regulations and encouraging pleasant style, however, there are no codes currently on the books that mandate crowns.

i remember the architect of the federal courthouse was irate when the city didn't approve of her design several times.

yet, they allow other buildings (mid and high rise) that are uglier to go without a "signature crown"

doesn't seem fair.  or maybe it's the spin of the article.

• 1 month later...

Would be nice if this location was further south

I just see it as a first step in expanding downtown's footprint.  There are already the beginnings of some nice little establishments on Washington.  Add in 500 or so next door neighbors, and it might just take off. There are still some infill spaces around and this might be the trigger that gets that going.

• Like 1

I just see it as a first step in expanding downtown's footprint.  There are already the beginnings of some nice little establishments on Washington.  Add in 500 or so next door neighbors, and it might just take off. There are still some infill spaces around and this might be the trigger that gets that going.

You think its possible? Had it been a block or two south it is already in a vibrant somewhat established area for living you know? 

Maybe it can get i done. Hopefully.  Just seems odd to me but I don't know anything lol

You think its possible? Had it been a block or two south it is already in a vibrant somewhat established area for living you know? 

Maybe it can get i done. Hopefully.  Just seems odd to me but I don't know anything lol

I agree with cwetteland. 

Providing another residential anchor along Gertrude's Walk may help stimulate development between this property and Church Street, as well as up to Colonial. There a bit of a barrier between this strip and Orange Ave (Sunrail/CSX tracks and almost a solid row of parking garages) but I think that could help Gertrude's Walk develop it's own identity. I think the key will be filling in the gaps in the trail and really having some destination activities along it (like Ace Cafe, and maybe a dog park). This might be a reach, but I can see Robinson corridor benefitting as a retail district after this project comes online, North Quarter is filled out, and maybe another couple residential buildings are built along Gertrude's Walk.