Orlando Central | 325-feet Residential [Approved]

bic

1 hour ago, GregoryMCSE said:

Sorry I was going by the 325 on the thread title. I missed the 395 news.  I hope this comes to pass.  

If this and Church Street Phase two come to light, they will Duke it out for current proposals as 5th/6th tallest with their estimated heights. 

The 325ft from this thread is from the guy from Miami who initially proposed  a similar building years ago.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

12 hours ago, AmIReal said:

ARB Chair Jill Rose was concerned the amenities deck was so gorgeous it may cause distraction on I4. She was informed it would be 30 feet above the highway. ARB Executive Director Richard Forbes is concerned the roof is flat and wants them to add "roof treatment to enhance the city’s skyline" ie a visor.

Oh come on! How are these people real?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, codypet said:

I have found in this city there's a bunch of people clamoring to put their "signature" on everything as a way to say "I had a part in this" no matter how stupid, costly or inane the suggestion might be.  That goes for anything that has collaboration from multiple stakeholders or any boards.

Is that unique to Orlando?

Sounds like the kind of thing that would be universally true just about everywhere.

• Like 1

I don't get the universal hate for visors around here.

Or at least the lumping of them all together as being bad or undesirable.

Some type of rooftop element can be a plus on some buildings whether in the form of a visor or something else.

If Society just had a truncated roof rather than the visor, it wouldn't look as good IMO. 

Conversely, a visor would be an improvement on the old SunTrust tower, or whatever they call it these days,

I've always felt that four pointed crown was gimmicky looking.  

Edited by JFW657

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I don't get the universal hate for visors around here.

Or at least the lumping of them all together as being bad or undesirable.

Some type of rooftop element can be a plus on some buildings whether in the form of a visor or something else.

If Society just had a truncated roof rather than the visor, it wouldn't look as good IMO. 

Conversely, a visor would be an improvement on the old SunTrust tower, or whatever they call it these days,

I've always felt that four pointed crown was gimmicky looking.  

The ‘80’s were a gimmicky decade so it seemed appropriate (btw, some wags looking for a nickname for SBC called it the “udder” because of those four points).

Visors just mostly seem like an afterthought just stuck up there. Now if they made them look like Coach Spurrier’s visor, that would be totally different. Pure class!

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The ‘80’s were a gimmicky decade so it seemed appropriate (btw, some wags looking for a nickname for SBC called it the “udder” because of those four points).

Visors just mostly seem like an afterthought just stuck up there. Now if they made them look like Coach Spurrier’s visor, that would be totally different. Pure class!

It homogenized the buildings and is not something necessary for all buildings, but the ARB is acting like it's required per code.  I think that why the hate.   It handcuffs the architecture.   

34 minutes ago, codypet said:

It homogenized the buildings and is not something necessary for all buildings, but the ARB is acting like it's required per code.  I think that why the hate.   It handcuffs the architecture.   

As I recall, when the Frederick administration first came up with the plan, it was simply to get away from the monotony of flat-topped, International style buildings as architecture moved into the postmodern era (remember when Manhattan’s AT&T “Chippendale” building made the cover of TIME? I do). I’m almost certain that initially, because Mayor Bill had a thing for fountains, you could either do a non flattop building or do a water feature (the water features went away in Mayor Hood’s era during the drought which Pat Robertson blamed on God’s revenge for the rainbow flags downtown- you do have to admire how Republicans think…).

Anyway, think about the first buildings arising from the idea; SBC, with the udder, duPont Centre and its terraced levels, the OC Courthouse with its rounded top. Even the CNL (?)building with its small “gazebo” circular columns on the top. Then somebody got cheap - instead of being creative, they just stuck an ersatz visor up there. And so it went. No one ever required a visor - the whole idea was just to get away from an architectural style replicated across the country (and beyond) for almost fifty years that made the skylines of countless cities boring. Sadly, in the hands of architects building to the lowest cost, the cure may have been worse than the disease.

Edited by spenser1058

Birmingham has had its own adventures with colors. My ex was a member of the Methodist church in downtown B’ham, which was this big edifice that had been known for its dark gray stone exterior.

Sometime in the late ‘80’s. they decided it was time to do a thorough pressure washing job on it.

When it was done, they were shocked to find the dark gray was actually from all the years of soot, especially during the years when the city had active steel mills running.

What they got was a much lighter, almost pinkish hue to the stone. Some of the “manly” men in the congregation were totally put off by it. I rather liked it.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

Sense of place does matter. Sun Bank had risen to be one of the largest bank holding companies in Florida through its aggressive retail banking and acquisitions. Its hometown was this up and coming brash young city. The tower really fit.

By comparison, Birmingham has tended to be much more conservative in its outlook so that building in the valley downtown sits in surrounded by mountains  (not to mention the huge looming statue of Vulcan peering down from one of the mountaintops) seems quite appropriate for B’ham.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 11:38 AM, spenser1058 said:

Sense of place does matter. Sun Bank had risen to be one of the largest bank holding companies in Florida through its aggressive retail banking and acquisitions. Its hometown was this up and coming brash young city. The tower really fit.

By comparison, Birmingham has tended to be much more conservative in its outlook so that building in the valley downtown sits in surrounded by mountains  (not to mention the huge looming statue of Vulcan peering down from one of the mountaintops) seems quite appropriate for B’ham.

star-treks-half-vulcan-character-mr-spock-original-star-trek-television-series.webp

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Geotech consultant firm on site today doing "bore and core" testing of the site for this project. That is a very good "early sign" that this is legit. 

20220921_140903.thumb.jpg.499956eb60aa118dd185afae0283fa24.jpg

20220921_140928.thumb.jpg.57fed4f6268f3103ba9dd865a958f726.jpg

That IS encouraging news. And this is a project I can be enthusiastic about because it's in a location for which a project this size would be a good fit.

I couldn't/can't get enthusiastic about the Zoi House or Lake & Pine proposals because IMO they are both too massive and out of scale for their surroundings and would require the destruction of some smaller buildings that I'd like to see spared because they represent a couple of the dwindling links to Orlando's past. 

Really hope this takes off. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

On 9/16/2022 at 8:30 AM, codypet said:

I have found in this city there's a bunch of people clamoring to put their "signature" on everything as a way to say "I had a part in this" no matter how stupid, costly or inane the suggestion might be.  That goes for anything that has collaboration from multiple stakeholders or any boards.

Hey, I named 55 West....