Height Restrictions

The topic of building taller has come up quite frequently over the past month. Especially, with announcements to go higher with OTW and the waterford residences. I feel that a new trend is emerging and think it would be nice to have a thread that provides some insight into height regulations in and around the capitol center. I would love to see a list of height restritctions in the following areas:

- In the capitol center (within the DRC jurisdiction)...espeicially north of the masonic temple

- In the finanical district...how about where OTW is going to be

- The power block, fogarty building and the old safety complex

- Conley warf and finally the freed up land from 195

As we all know the height restrictions have been a touchy issue with the DRC. CTownmikey asks about supporting a 30 story buidling on the gtech site. I dont know what the breakpoint would have been, but I doubt the DRC would have let anything rise over 200 feet. Height has always been a hot issue on the parcels near the state house. Remember, the numerous proposals for the masonic temple? Sundlun even weighed in how the proposed glass box addition would destroy the view of the state house from 95...i think he even put in an op-ed in projo denouncing it. Im still not sure what view of the state house was preserved. Over time I think the DRC has become reasonably flexible when it comes to height limits. I think it all started with the citizens building. Even though its not that tall it was still above the restirictions at the time. However, that was a moot point because the city was so desparate to have a new office building. Then the 10 park row towers were pitched to the DRC and they voiced serious oppostition to the heights. I think there was sense of frustration around that time with the pace of development....since two major projects that went to full review were dropped by the developers. Since then, the DRC has been more flexible with height limits...ie intercontinental. This trend has also surfaced with city planners. i.e. encouraging OTW to build higher. In any event, would love to see a list of height restrictions!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see a list of height restritctions in the following areas:

- In the capitol center (within the DRC jurisdiction)...espeicially north of the masonic temple

- In the finanical district...how about where OTW is going to be

- The power block, fogarty building and the old safety complex

- Conley warf and finally the freed up land from 195

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In response.

Capitol Center- Regulations are already in place. (GTech was only allowed one more floor than they went with)

Financial District- If you put height limits here, then where do you want tall buildings to go?

Power Block- Same logic.

Conley warf and 195 land- Care should be taken. Keep heights lower along the waterfront.

Archived