Constitution Green

Jernigan

11 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

FYI: Fleet Peeples, we do not speak of him. The park is called by its original name, Lake Baldwin Park.

FYI: very aware, thank you; heat of description of naming various other hound locales.

I have never seen a government entity move so quickly to erase some ones name from the local histroy. They were literally at the park, two days after the story broke, with circular saws cutting his name off the signs. Rollins followed by trowing away anything with his name on it.  

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Too bad they can't convert the PE field across Robinson from Howard Middle School to a park with a dog run.

Don't take away my track!

2 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

Leave it alone = no one goes there. A dog park is needed downtown and a great way to get people to start using the park. 

I kind of hate the idea of it becoming a dog park, but I totally agree with your statement. Benches, chairs, a gazebo, uplights on the tree, etc. would look great. And it would be a beautiful space. But, no one would really use it. A dog park would get tons of use, and make the space vibrant.

It won't be as pretty, but it will certainly be active.

I was not able to be at the meeting yesterday.  Does anyone know if they plan to regrade and re-sod?  This was my biggest concern.  Also, the staff report is kinda unclear about whether or not the lighting would go in now or in the future.  Hoping that it goes in now.

2 hours ago, FLClarkKent said:

Don't take away my track!

The doggy doo-doo park could go inside the track. 

If the dogs got out, they could chase the runners.

Give you all some extra motivation. :D

31 minutes ago, gibby said:

I was not able to be at the meeting yesterday.  Does anyone know if they plan to regrade and re-sod?  This was my biggest concern.  Also, the staff report is kinda unclear about whether or not the lighting would go in now or in the future.  Hoping that it goes in now.

Hopefully there's some kind of extra durable grass that can go inside the dig run. I bet all those dog claws will tear the BeeGeeZuss out of it.

• Like 2

I like the dog park along Tampa's riverwalk. They have a special artificial turf designed for dogs (think drainage), a number of activity structures, and it is buffered from the surrounding area with dense plantings. I think improvements like these would help with some of the concerns we've expressed, and make the park more attractive to users. 

Tampa_architectural_photos_262.jpg 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They may be working on the dog park however it is the sidewalk on the northern side of Constition Green that is currently under construction. It looks like the sidewalk is set-in a bit which leads me to believe they'll landscape the northern edges of the park as a buffer to the dog park.

• 1 month later...

The fencing is up for the dog run.  There's a fire hydrant in the middle of it, which is cute I guess, and a concrete pad at the entrance that has what looks like a water station.  This, in addition with the new sidewalk, and some new tenants in the townhomes (and hopefully 520) should transform this little-used area with a beautiful tree into an actual park.  I like it

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Universe_Explorer said:

The fencing is up for the dog run.  There's a fire hydrant in the middle of it, which is cute I guess, and a concrete pad at the entrance that has what looks like a water station.  This, in addition with the new sidewalk, and some new tenants in the townhomes (and hopefully 520) should transform this little-used area with a beautiful tree into an actual park.  I like it

I live in 420 and I love this area. Walking the dog over there is so nice. There are so many dogs and people are usually super friendly. Happy this is going there. 

• Like 1

I think the topic came up in the Thornton Park Brownstones topic, but I said that as part of the Constitution Green construction, I was hoping they'd move the electric lines underground.  In fact, it really makes no sense not to... yet they apparently aren't.  I just sent a tweet about it.  Hopefully it will get a response.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Universe_Explorer said:

Actual, living, non-homeless people are now using the park! It's official!  I drove by at mid-day and there were still several people hanging about as their dogs frolicked.  It's nice to see this beautiful little space finally get some use

5:20pm update: 1 homeless woman with several bags under tree sitting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UngaBungalow said:

please set up a webcam. I'd host it for sure. 

Off topic here, but I would LOVE to see some live streaming webcams around downtown.

Close to street level with audio like some of the ones you see on Earthcam, especially the ones around midtown Manhattan.

I wonder who at City Hall, the DDB or a downtown tourism promotion organization, would be a good person to contact with the idea.

I've been planning to give it a try for some time. 

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Off topic here, but I would LOVE to see some live streaming webcams around downtown.

Close to street level with audio like some of the ones you see on Earthcam, especially the ones around midtown Manhattan.

I wonder who at City Hall, the DDB or a downtown tourism promotion organization, would be a good person to contact with the idea.

I've been planning to give it a try for some time. 

I can imagine that backfiring on the city, if most of what webcams captured is homeless people in action.