Constitution Green

Jernigan

That's where the meeting is being held.  I emailed the City, asking for a copy of the staff report/plans this morning but I have not heard back from them yet.  Surprised that the staff report is not on-line already.  Seems like they got this going pretty quickly considering that they just closed a couple of months ago.

There's a mistake somewhere.  Meeting is at city hall.   The ARB agenda lists the owner for this item as Eola 421/421 E Robinson.   Whoever put the sign up ran with that.

The owner is obviously the City.  421 E Robinson is another project (not on the agenda this month) that was discussed in the last year here.  Nothing substantial.  Small property north of the lake.

Interesting location for the dog park on that property. It's like they deliberately tried to make the Brownstones' location even more undesireable. You have your choice of looking out onto garages or rundown duplexes or you can be right next to the dog run with the nice smell of a fully-loaded trash bin of dog crap wafting into your windows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I would have thought the west side of the park along Jackson St.

May have been a little smaller, but the location they've got it at seems like it could've been better utilized.

I agree about utilizing the space better. I think it would make a lot more sense to have it run the span of the entire side of Eola or Summerlin versus a third of the way down Jackson. It just looks very random and the layout serves no real purpose other than some unknown vendetta against the Brownstones.

I also would have liked to see some sort of water fountain/feature, a gazebo/pavilion, a small playground, some exercise bars or pretty much anything more than what we are getting, none of which would be difficult. An outdoor dining venue like Relax grill under the oak serving a dog-friendly menu would have been cool too, but this is Orlando so I don't even get my hopes up for that type of stuff.

3 hours ago, GTR said:

I agree about utilizing the space better. I think it would make a lot more sense to have it run the span of the entire side of Eola or Summerlin versus a third of the way down Jackson. It just looks very random and the layout serves no real purpose other than some unknown vendetta against the Brownstones.

I also would have liked to see some sort of water fountain/feature, a gazebo/pavilion, a small playground, some exercise bars or pretty much anything more than what we are getting, none of which would be difficult. An outdoor dining venue like Relax grill under the oak serving a dog-friendly menu would have been cool too, but this is Orlando so I don't even get my hopes up for that type of stuff.

Yeah, the gazebo idea is something I've mentioned before too. Maybe something big enough to serve as a stage for a small band to play underneath. I don't begrudge dog owners a place to let their dogs run in, but putting one there takes up so much of the available space, it pretty much renders the rest of the park that could be used for something like a gazebo etc, useless.

Oh well, I'm just glad they saved it and the tree from development.

Now watch a huge bolt of lightning come along and blow the tree to smithereens.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah, the gazebo idea is something I've mentioned before too. Maybe something big enough to serve as a stage for a small band to play underneath. I don't begrudge dog owners a place to let their dogs run in, but putting one there takes up so much of the available space, it pretty much renders the rest of the park that could be used for something like a gazebo etc, useless.

Oh well, I'm just glad they saved it and the tree from development.

Now watch a huge bolt of lightning come along and blow the tree to smithereens.

A stage with a few rows of seats would be a great idea too, although we have two at Lake Eola, one of which I have never seen used as anything but a bum motel.

Lighting up the tree is also something I do not see mentioned, which really should be a no brainer to give the park at least one interesting nighttine element.

• Like 1

No room for any of that. ADA access, parking spaces, pump house, securing it at night with giant fences. No room and it would be tacky. No splash pads. No Dogs. Just leave it alone and add some plants and benches. Why can't every one just get it out of their minds and leave it alone! Just put 4 outdoor LED uplighting deals ground based and call it a day. Sheesh. Again, take your pug to the dog park behind fashion square, park of americas, or fleet peeples.

• Like 2

I doubt anyone would want to take their kids to a park next to busy South Street with all the cars zooming past. Plus, that park is a pretty small to begin with. Cramming a playground in there on top of a dog park would squeeze out everyone else. 

Given that the focus of the park is supposed to be the big old tree, I wish they'd have just concentrated on adult people activities there. I do sympathize with those who want to take their dogs there, I just wish there was another place for it. 

Too bad they can't convert the PE field across Robinson from Howard Middle School to a park with a dog run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

No room for any of that. ADA access, parking spaces, pump house, securing it at night with giant fences. No room and it would be tacky. No splash pads. No Dogs. Just leave it alone and add some plants and benches. Why can't every one just get it out of their minds and leave it alone! Just put 4 outdoor LED uplighting deals ground based and call it a day. Sheesh. Again, take your pug to the dog park behind fashion square, park of americas, or fleet peeples.

I agree with most of that, but would've liked to have seen a gazebo or a pagoda.

Who knows? Maybe they will down the road.

18 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Leave it alone = no one goes there. A dog park is needed downtown and a great way to get people to start using the park. 

However, I do believe some lighting, more landscaping, seating, and a gazebo would be great additions. 

FYI: Fleet Peeples, we do not speak of him. The park is called by its original name, Lake Baldwin Park. 

Edited by RedStar25
correction.