Constitution Green

Jernigan

11 hours ago, metal93 said:

I can imagine that backfiring on the city, if most of what webcams captured is homeless people in action.

Naaaahhhhh. There are some great urban webcams that allow you to watch live streams of people coming and going. Times Square, Bourbon St, Sloppy Joe's Bar in Key West, the Abbey Road crosswalk in London just to name a few.

Orange Ave should have a couple. Maybe one at Church and one at Central.

Would be good promotion for downtown.

The wife and I took our dog there on a Sunday evening and it was insane. There must've been 20 dogs in there. Everyone was talking to each other. It's nice to have a place where people can go and meet their downtown neighbors. It's a great addition to the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just an update (strictly anecdotal) - I had concerns about the dog park being too small to be of much use. I'm pleased to say I was wrong. Almost anytime during the daylight hours now that I go by Constitution Green, there are people (and dogs) using the facility. It's definitely a change from before when it was just the trees.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Just an update (strictly anecdotal) - I had concerns about the dog park being too small to be of much use. I'm pleased to say I was wrong. Almost anytime during the daylight hours now that I go by Constitution Green, there are people (and dogs) there using the facility. It's definitely a change from before when it was just the trees.

The dog park is always in use - and I love it to be honest. HOWEVER - they need to either put in some sort of fake grass or find a way to keep the grass from being dug up. The whole thing is basically dirt now - can only imagine what it will be like when the rain comes. 

I LOVE bringing my dog there but he's cream colored and going there automatically means bath...which I'd rather not do every few days (it's not good for their coat). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bqknight said:

The dog park is always in use - and I love it to be honest. HOWEVER - they need to either put in some sort of fake grass or find a way to keep the grass from being dug up. The whole thing is basically dirt now - can only imagine what it will be like when the rain comes. 

I LOVE bringing my dog there but he's cream colored and going there automatically means bath...which I'd rather not do every few days (it's not good for their coat). 

Not to mention the smell.... :sick:

I have seen a few doggy parks in New York that use artificial turf instead of grass.  They also make it a rolling environment so I can imagine that it helps stave off pools of water from forming.  As far as cleanliness with artificial turf is concerned, I assume that city workers would have to hose it down at least once per week. 

I use Constitution Green frequently with dogs and I think it is great.  The dirty dog at the end of the trip isn't the most pleasant for the back seat of my car.  Life with animals generally means that you give up a bit of cleanliness.  I think it is part of the bargain.  You gain in other areas of your life.

On 4/22/2016 at 0:32 PM, FLClarkKent said:

I was just there yesterday and the grass looked fine. I even had the thought, "Why doesn't the city enclose the entire park?" 

That small spot gets more visitors in one week than the rest of the park does in a year. 

Edited by RedStar25
Somethings Wrong
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

I think the entire park should be a dog park. 

I disagree, maybe the entire eastern half can be a dog park but the reason many of us were against making the whole place into a dog park was out of preservation of the beautiful old oak trees in the middle and towards the western half of the park. I can only see dogs and owners alike ruining those trees and destroying those low hanging branches, and can imagine that someone or their dog would get hurt and lawsuits would arise.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Does the city think South Street is too busy to have the dog park extend all the way to South?

Probably.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

Well as it stands, the "dog park" looks very amateurish and isn't proportionate with the rest of Constitution Green park IMO. The city should have enclosed the eastern half of the park and add shrubs for buffering if South St traffic & noise were a concern.

Let me start by saying I am a downtown dog owner, but I have found many downtown dog owners to never be satisfied with whatever will be provided whether it is pet parks, apartments/condos dog walks or outdoor dining accommodations.  Many have acquired a dog or moved downtown without adequately thinking through the responsibility and feel their pet's rights supersede those of non dog owning humans. I understand it is not a fun task to take a pet to relieve itself, but when you got the pet you own that responsibility.  I think there should be a registration and cost to pet owners to pay for these services that do not benefit all tax payers. If you want a Cadillac of pet parks then be prepared to pay for it through higher registration fees to use it. Owning a pet is a choice.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FLheat said:

Let me start by saying I am a downtown dog owner, but I have found many downtown dog owners to never be satisfied with whatever will be provided whether it is pet parks, apartments/condos dog walks or outdoor dining accommodations.  Many have acquired a dog or moved downtown without adequately thinking through the responsibility and feel their pet's rights supersede those of non dog owning humans. I understand it is not a fun task to take a pet to relieve itself, but when you got the pet you own that responsibility.  I think there should be a registration and cost to pet owners to pay for these services that do not benefit all tax payers. If you want a Cadillac of pet parks then be prepared to pay for it through higher registration fees to use it. Owning a pet is a choice.

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 2:25 PM, FLheat said:

I don't own a pet though - I just don't want the responsibility. Whether or not I own a dog does not change the fact that the "dog park" looks very amateurish and not proportionate with the rest of the park. I'm not asking for a Cadillac of pet parks (although that would be nice), I'm asking for proper planning & implementation. Why not create something that is more inviting and pleasant to look at from the street? As with any public amenity (regardless of who uses it), the dog park should be built to last and age well. However, as it stands I'm sure in the future the city will spend more money on improvements/expansion of the park. It's not going bankrupt the city to spend the few extra dollars to do it once & do it right.

No offense but I think expanding the dog run is a bad idea. I think they're already using enough of what could've been a really first rate and functional human park. I do agree that it should be visually upgraded but I don't think that should include expanding the dog run. I'm all for adding landscaping and some amenities, but they need to landscape the entire park while leaving the size of the dog run alone.

JMHO.

• Like 1