Downtown East

greg225

I was watching the news yesterday its a area between downtown and mid city renamed Downtown East.  The area is claimed by Downtown and Mid City the area is mostly abandon house. What have been build in that area so far is condos.  http://www.wafb.com/story/28576796/downtown-east-looks-to-redevelop-neighborhood

Edited by greg225

Thanks for posting Greg225... :shades: Area definitely has some potential...those row houses & 3-story condos look nice! And plenty of abandoned buildings/houses as well

Part of this area is what Antrell & I dubbed "Mid-City West"

>Can we get Antrell or maybe I can find Neo to change the name of this new Topic to..."Downtown EAST"??

There is already a Thread for Downtown Baton Rouge...called "Plan Baton Rouge"

Thanks

Ha ha...yeah you right Antrell! And thanks for changing the Title :thumbsup:

On it's southside maybe Downtown East should  encompass a narrower area between I-110 &  R.R. Tracks...

& West Mid City gets everything east of the R.R. Tracks near  North Blvd/Government Street area where the Entergy project is going...

Is that confusing enough for the Average Joe lol?

All of the talk in the recent articles/news stories of the Entergy block redevelopment on Government Street; has been referred to as Mid City...near the R.R. tracks at 15th & 16th Streets...so I considered it West Mid City(the western edge of Mid City). But now according to this it's Downtown East?

It's my understanding Beauregard Town stops at East Boulevard

OSBR is south of Government Street

It may be a bit confusing...i may need to color code a map

Edited by richyb83

Looks like I need to buy a house or two before the prices begin to rise.

Haha, I had the same idea, but others already beat us to the punch. I went and checked the CJ Brown website and only one property is avaliable in that area. :lol:

All of the talk in the recent articles/news stories of the Entergy block redevelopment on Government Street; has been referred to as Mid City...near the R.R. tracks at 15th & 16th Streets...so I considered it West Mid City(the western edge of Mid City). But now according to this it's Downtown East?

It's my understanding Beauregard Town stops at East Boulevard

OSBR is south of Government Street

It may be a bit confusing...i may need to color code a map

At one time the BRGov website had a map with color boxes drawn around each subdivision, but they took it down I guess because it was too much to maintain with all the new developments. I remember the first time I'd seen it it hadn't been updated in a while, the it was every few months, then every montch, etc.

Anyway, If you go on BRGOV hompage -> Maps and GIS Resources side tab-> eBRmap side tab-> Proceed button -> Address side tab -> Street Name field & Suffix box -> Search button, results will come up with the street addresses and the subdivision name which might be helpful.

• 10 months later...

Northside Motor Exchange building in ‘downtown east’ to become collaborative shared space for artists, creative entrepreneurs      

The long vacant Northside Motor Exchange Building at 655 Scenic Highway, in the neighborhood newly rechristened as “downtown east,” is the new home of Artvark Ltd., an arts and interiors business. It’s the first of several arts-oriented tenants the building’s owners hope to attract to the historic, 8,600-square-foot structure, which includes 2,000 square feet of showroom space and a 6,600-square-foot warehouse.

“We’re using the showroom space in the front,” says Artvark owner Claire Major, whose husband, Rich Major, and son, Alex Major, own the building. “We’re hoping to use the warehouse space for something innovative like artist workspaces, microenterprises or open markets.”

The building renovation has been a family affair for the Majors. Rich, who co-founded Providence engineering firm, and Alex, an engineering student, have spent the past two years renovating the property. Claire owns Artvark, which sells unique, vintage furniture, as well as new and vintage décor and art. It was previously located in The Foyer on Perkins Road and, before that, in the retail center at 672 Jefferson Highway adjacent to MJ’s Café.

The Majors have spent some $100,000 renovating the property, with help from façade improvement grants from the Mid City Redevelopment Alliance and state and local historic building tax credits.

Rich Major is no stranger to historic renovation projects in the area between downtown and Mid City. He has invested in several properties there over the past decade, including the headquarters of Providence at 1201 Main St. He became interested in the Northside Motor Exchange building because he recognized its potential, Claire Major says.

She didn’t initially intend to move her business there, but believes the area, which borders downtown, Mid City and North Baton Rouge, is a transitioning neighborhood that is ripe for redevelopment.

“My hope is that people will buy the properties around here and bring them back it back to life and do something constructive with them,” she says. “It has been fun doing this one.”

The Majors are not the only pioneers of redevelopment in Downtown East. The area has a newly formed Downtown East Civic Association that is dedicated to restoring the neighborhood, eliminating blight and reinvigorating the area as an extension of downtown, according to Ken Duncan, DECA founding board member.

Artvark will hold its grand opening Feb. 12. The showroom will only be open for business two or three days a month, but the Majors are hoping to lease the warehouse space to full-time tenants.   https://www.businessreport.com/article/northside-motor-exchange-building-downtown-east-become-collaborative-shared-space-artists-creative-entrepreneurs

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some tricky boundaries for Downtown East...on that south side; east of the R.R. Tracks (Antrell &I ) like the name West Mid-City(where Entergy is located & mentioned in Mid City)...but the rest would easily qualify as Downtown East..a.ka. Warehouse District by some

The actual 225 Magazine says this area is getting a hip revamp...

http://www.225batonrouge.com/community/lets-go-downtown-east

Interactive Map (of the 11 new projects) ... Gave it several tries...not showing up

https://www.thinglink.com/scene/759503755560353794

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2016 at 11:02 AM, mr. bernham said:

The name isn't that great, maybe East Town? IDK, I can get used to Downtown East. 

DDD's district goes pretty far east (and south).   Not quite to N 22nd street.  

I guess that makes much of it "downtown".   The old Maison Blanche is downtown to me.    The bus station is kind of on the edge.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2016 at 0:41 PM, cajun said:

DDD's district goes pretty far east (and south).   Not quite to N 22nd street.  

I guess that makes much of it "downtown".   The old Maison Blanche is downtown to me.    The bus station is kind of on the edge.

I've always considered that area prime target to be a 'Museum District' or an 'Arts District'. So many large vacant lots that could become cool museums and park land.

• 2 weeks later...

225’ :Downtown east slowly growing an identity of its own      

A swath of Mid City to the east—or downtown—is slowly developing an identity of its own thanks to several upcoming developments and neighborhood projects.

And thanks to 225, you can take an interactive tour through the area, which is roughly the size of downtown proper.

Bordered by Interstate 110 to the west and north, 22nd Street to the east and Government Street to the south, the area is essentially Baton Rouge’s warehouse district, sparsely populated with empty old brick buildings, housing and leveled lots.

Several nonprofits and assistance organizations call it home, such as the Area Alliance for the Homeless, Capital Area Corporate Recycling Council, Big Buddy Program, Baton Rouge Community Radio and O’Brien House.

The latest project to be announced in the area is vintage furniture shop Artvark, whose owners purchased the long vacant Northside Motor Exchange building on Scenic Highway and Gayosa Street to create showrooms and shared space for artists. Owner Claire Major told Daily Report she sees the area as transitioning and ripe for redevelopment.

Several older buildings have been remodeled for mixed-income apartments and hip, industrial-style private residences. Artvark used façade improvement grants from the Mid City Redevelopment Alliance to get its project started, but entrepreneurs just a few blocks west in the same neighborhood could tap into Downtown Development District resources to renovate properties. A few years ago, the DDD expanded its boundaries, spilling across I-110 up to 15th Street.

With plans for the Government Street road redesign coming along and the East Baton Rouge Redevelopment Authority aiming to gussy up the former Entergy buildings along that corridor, now seems like the time for the emergence of downtown east.

Read the full story, which includes an interactive map detailing interesting locations in downtown east.   https://www.businessreport.com/article/225downtown-east-slowly-growing-identity

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not sure "Downtown East"  catches on or not?...the new Elysian II now under way  had what been considered Spanish Town East....Electric Depot (shown above)  on the west-edge of Mid City....I'd like to draw the boundaries if this new set-up was more user friendly

The Elysian II gets underway in Baton Rouge, targeting downtown workers

https://www.businessreport.com/article/elysian-ii-gets-underway-baton-rouge-targeting-downtown-workers

• 5 months later...

Thanks Greg225:thumbsup:   Saw the story on WAFB last night....was going to post this but got too busy

Elysian I & II   +  Valencia Park = 322 apartments in a four-block stretch within walking distance of Downtown. Developers hope it leads to more projects in the Downtown East and Mid City areas.

image.png.f498c970cb4360cbd0bad4f87405b707.png

image.png.60b14b4bc1037713b34e2154ec6620b3.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

National Historic District designation for Downtown East in final stages                                                                   https://www.businessreport.com/article/national-historic-district-designation-downtown-east-final-stages

Edited by greg225

• 2 months later...

Historic district designation for Downtown East incentivizes development

Screen-Shot-2017-05-17-at-11.55.53-AM.pn                                                                                                                                                                                https://www.businessreport.com/business/historic-district-designation-for-downtown-east-incentivizes-development     

• 1 month later...

Still think the boundaries are too loosely defined...when driving down Government Street Circa 1857 is still considered Mid City; and R.R. Tracks is the boundary...still consider Electric Depot on West edge of Mid City

Hope this project pans out...4 story apts would be nice!

Former Hotel Lincoln going before Planning Commission for rezoning

https://www.businessreport.com/business/former-hotel-lincoln-going-before-planning-commission-for-rezoning

image.thumb.png.9b64f5a13dfca0481a61baae0d492be3.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought they would make it 4 floors to allow for more parking ...but looks like their keeping it 3 in typical BR fashion' The Elysian is 4 floors; so not buying it "aligning w neighborhood"

Gonna draw up / outline my boundaries of Downtown East one of these days.

Valencia Park developers grapple with parking requirements

After several delays, the developers of a 122-unit apartment complex planned for families and veterans in Spanish Town will ask the Planning Commission for additional time to tweak their plans to meet parking requirements.

Construction on the three-story Valencia Park complex was slated to begin early this year on a 2.6-acre city block across from Spanish Town Park on North 13th Street, with completion expected early next year. But Renaissance Neighborhood Development Corporation’s request to have the property rezoned as a Small Planned Unit Development has been deferred several times as they tried to add parking spaces required by the Unified Development Code. Now, they plan to ask the request to be deferred until October, says Vanessa Levine, RNDC development director, as they continue to work with architects and civil engineers.

RNDC considered adding a fourth floor to reduce the building’s footprint for parking, but Levine says the company prefers to keep the building three stories to align it with the neighborhood.

https://www.businessreport.com/newsletters/valencia-park-developers-grapple-with-spanish-town-parking

12 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Thought they would make it 4 floors to allow for more parking ...but looks like their keeping it 3 in typical BR fashion' The Elysian is 4 floors; so not buying it "aligning w neighborhood"

Gonna draw up / outline my boundaries of Downtown East one of these days.

Yup, like you said, a suburban development downtown, lol. Oh well, more people living downtown is still good.