470 - 475 Market Ave Redevelopment

GRDadof3

A company out of Jenison is looking at transforming this warehouse at the corner of Market and Godfrey into "a mixed use" including retail, some office and apartments. They're seeking a variance in zoning from basically industrial to transitional city center.

At 217,000 square feet it will be quite a large project.

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Planning-Department/PlanningCommission/PC-3-26-15%20PACKET.pdf

(page 29)

Read the narrative on page 33 when you get a chance...

16717158760_873f1758d5_b.jpg

Isn't that market and Godfrey.  I have rented in the building. It is a bit of a wreck but could be gutted to the shell and redone.  

When I was in there.  It was mainly storage for GR Public Schools surplus equipment.  A bunch of in and out companies.  A successful baseball training class.  And the basement was full of hobbyists and at times people renting space to live in illegally.  

GRL Properties still owns the building I think and I know they are looking to transition many of the warehouse space they have to be developed.

Edited by EastownLeo

Isn't that market and Godfrey.  I have rented in the building. It is a bit of a wreck but could be gutted to the shell and redone.  

When I was in there.  It was mainly storage for GR Public Schools surplus equipment.  A bunch of in and out companies.  A successful baseball training class.  And the basement was full of hobbyists and at times people renting space to live in illegally.  

GRL Properties still owns the building I think and I know they are looking to transition many of the warehouse space they have to be developed.

Ah yes, Market and Godfrey. Brain fart.

I also rented some storage space there a few years ago.

It is creepy as heck in there, like the setting for a Zombie first person shooter game. Hated the place with a passion (some people stole stuff from my storage space). Leo answered why I always kept hearing people upstairs engaged in some sort of sport. I think the lower level was used for some parking as well.

It will make a great space for offices or residences being right next to the river, and not far from GVSU, the DT Market, Founders, and Milenium Park. Will take a crap ton of work however. Almost nothing I've seen can or should be kept. It all needs to be gutted.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

Is that outside of the "stink zone" from the WWTP down Market?  Uhh, that August roof party with a light breeze from the west.  Just sayin.

I'd bet someone who works at M-TEC could tell you. I'd wager that it's probably not a major issue there, but would be something to keep in mind as a potential issue.

I've thought the same. I used to work in a factory off of Hall street there, so I would drive through everyday. Some of the old factory/warehouse buildings are really great. If you ever get the chance, there is a coffee roasting shop in the building at the corner of Hall and Godfrey that is a neat experience.

...The old brick road still exists underneath Godfrey as well!

• Like 1

There is an old tunnel under Godfrey from 470 Market to the building to the west.  It was once used to transport materials between the two properties.  I have explored it and it has been blocked off with cinder block.  But The lower level basement has drive in access and it set for parking already.  

I think that this effort is being done too early.  Residents in this area have nothing close to support them. No stores in the area, no true neighborhood other than the grandville corridor. The traffic in this area is highly industrial.  The tracks are active.  The only green in south toward the park.  For this area to be a success I would think that the river front needs to be taken care of first.  I know this is mainly just a zoning request but jumping the gun could slow down overall progress especially from a "investor" with no known regional success.

Edited by EastownLeo

I forgot about the trains. Yes, they are very active. The distance between the train and the back of the building is about two car widths.

And the train is extremely loud as they have to use their horns crossing the street.

One thing I also hated was that the sidewalk out front is VERY thin, and traffic screams by quite fast. You feel extreamly vulnerable standing out front because much of the traffic is heavy vehicicals and simi trucks. They can kick up an awlful breeze.

If there are going to be apartments there, they are going to have to rent for cheap!

• 1 year later...

470 Market seems to have all new windows. they have also cleaned up and removed much of the loading dock on the east side of the building.  Kind of a quiet renovation.  The interior seems pretty gutted.  Anyone have eyes on this or know what the plan is? Timing?

When its completed this is a good amount of residential units.  The building shape will make it interesting to see the layout because it is low, wide and flat.   

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I heard they are doing exterior work this spring summer to bring the building back to some of its historical roots, i.e. signage "American Boxboard Company" 

They also appear to be fixing various brick around the building along with some stone work?  201 Market appears to be getting ready for a sale just up the street, 234 Market is being built.  I looked inside when a garage door was opened, the building is totally empty and looks very fresh with just bare wood and lighting throughout.   I assume this building is getting ready for something since everything else close by is being developed or sold.  I wonder if it could continue up Godfrey?

I would love to have a huge bar in this place, It is bigger than the whole BOB or Founders buildings.

10 hours ago, Globaltraveler said:

I heard they are doing exterior work this spring summer to bring the building back to some of its historical roots, i.e. signage "American Boxboard Company" 

They also appear to be fixing various brick around the building along with some stone work?  201 Market appears to be getting ready for a sale just up the street, 234 Market is being built.  I looked inside when a garage door was opened, the building is totally empty and looks very fresh with just bare wood and lighting throughout.   I assume this building is getting ready for something since everything else close by is being developed or sold.  I wonder if it could continue up Godfrey?

I would love to have a huge bar in this place, It is bigger than the whole BOB or Founders buildings.

The west wall of 470 market is greatly bowed out. It is pretty surprising once you take a look. I wonder if anything can be done to fix it.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...