Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

If ever there were a section of town best suited to a batch of new tallest OFFICE towers, it is the span between CBD (10th Avenue North) and Midtown (Lake Palmer).  So here is my fear... with so many adjacent sites in the Gulch, including this property at the edge of the Gulch and CBD being prepped for development, I am now concerned that the developers will look around at all the competition and go with the safe bet, apartment blocks like Pollack Shores did with their low-rise project.  So in five years, all you'll have in the area will be flat (and in the Gulch that would be really really FLAT!) buildings everywhere.  Only a little better would be 2-4 ten to fifteen story buildings as a result of too many developers playing things too close to the vest (s.t.s). 

So bring on 3-4 fifty story buildings now!  Even the most conservative developers quoted in the NBJ all now say the next trend is office, with vacancy so low.  

• 1 month later...

I hope Wehba can see the potential to bring a rail hub to this site... eventually.  The latest is that they want to bring retail/grocery to their new development. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/09/01/grocery-store-retail-use-eyed-ninth-and-church-sites/71535254/

I hope they decide on another name for this, other than "Uptown"... which sounds so redneck.  

• Like 2

Let's just hope that because of all the land, that it won't resemble a suburban style office park with the buildings squeezed together and platform parking thrown up for the sake of.  Still holding my breath to see how the Capitol View project turns out.  

They would still have to follow the downtown code. With the price they are paying for the property's, I would hope they will cram as much as they can on the 15+ or - acres.

• Like 1

They would still have to follow the downtown code. With the price they are paying for the property's, I would hope they will cram as much as they can on the 15+ or - acres.

Yeah, with this sort of investment, I can't see it being a sprawling site.  I would bank on fairly dense structuring, perhaps a 30 story building or two along with several 15-20, and a bunch of 5-10 story range. And it would, indeed be a logical place for a train station should CSX ever want to play ball.  

Btw...what is underneath the bottom 2-3 floors of the current Lifeway tower?  I know the tower appears to be surrounded on 3 sides by that sprawling 2-3 story building that covers several acres.  Is it parking underneath?  Just wondering what that building will look like if the "flat" building that wraps it is demolished.

That portion of the building is 2 floors of warehouse space. Some has been converted into office space, while most is used for storage or is just empty. In the past, all of the printing and distribution happened there, but all of that operation moved to Lebanon over a decade ago. As the article mentions, the employees are in the process of consolidating into the area east of 10th Ave.

• Like 2

That portion of the building is 2 floors of warehouse space. Some has been converted into office space, while most is used for storage or is just empty. In the past, all of the printing and distribution happened there, but all of that operation moved to Lebanon over a decade ago. As the article mentions, the employees are in the process of consolidating into the area east of 10th Ave.

Do you have any idea of what structures will remain and which will be demolished?

Do you have any idea of what structures will remain and which will be demolished?

I wish I did, but anything I could say about 'Uptown Nashville's' plans would be pure speculation. LifeWay will continue to lease back the portion of the property bordered by 9th, Commerce, 10th, and LifeWay Plaza for at least 2 years while their new headquarters is under construction in SoBro. Beyond that parcel of land, anything's possible, as soon as this winter.

• Like 2

I wish I did, but anything I could say about 'Uptown Nashville's' plans would be pure speculation. LifeWay will continue to lease back the portion of the property bordered by 9th, Commerce, 10th, and LifeWay Plaza for at least 2 years while their new headquarters is under construction in SoBro. Beyond that parcel of land, anything's possible, as soon as this winter.

Thanks

Is it possible a "Cross" will not appear on their new HQ?  Just curious.  I'm not against it so long as it's tastefully done.

Edited by Lexy

Is it possible a "Cross" will not appear on their new HQ?  Just curious.  I'm not against it so long as it's tastefully done.

From what I've heard, the new building will not incorporate a cross into it's architectural design.  

Assuming that the Draper Centennial Tower isn't demoed (and I don't think it will be), it's safe to say that Uptown will remove the crosses from the facade of it as well.

• Like 4

From what I've heard, the new building will not incorporate a cross into it's architectural design.  

Assuming that the Draper Centennial Tower isn't demoed (and I don't think it will be), it's safe to say that Uptown will remove the crosses from the facade of it as well.

I'm fine with it if they do figure a way to put the Cross on it.  I think it's fitting.

I'm curious what the odds are of the tower being torn down?  This whole project has my anxiety on high alert right now.

I'm fine with it if they do figure a way to put the Cross on it.  I think it's fitting.

I'm curious what the odds are of the tower being torn down?  This whole project has my anxiety on high alert right now.

From what I've heard, I really do think that the Draper Centennial Tower and Sullivan Tower are safe.  The closure of the sale should happen sometime within the next month, so I would expect alot more details to come to light in the near future.  :whistling:

• Like 2

Everyone talks about getting a grocery store in their development....yet none have been successful so far (or they aren't to that stage yet). I'm sure it will happen....but damn...nothing yet?

I think a downtown/midtown Publix and an Urban Target would go a long way to making downtown living more complete for most residents.

Tapping my foot and glaring in the direction of Capitol View. 

• Like 1

Maybe we can get an Ikea downtown! :whistling:

no, they're too busy building one in Memphis to give a crap about actually making money with one in Nashville.

Everyone talks about getting a grocery store in their development....yet none have been successful so far (or they aren't to that stage yet). I'm sure it will happen....but damn...nothing yet?

I think a downtown/midtown Publix and an Urban Target would go a long way to making downtown living more complete for most residents.

I agree 1000%

• Like 2