Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

I don't disagree that the parking pedestals are often unattractive, but take them away and much of the minimal height we have downtown goes away. The Korean Vets "canyon" of 20ish story hotels become 10-15 floor hotels. Bridgestone Bldg. becomes what, 20 floors? If they'd put 5 floors of parking under (at street level) the 505 rather than beside it, how much taller would it appear?  I get the point, but there are times I wish the 505 had 15 levels of pedestal parking under it....

35 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

I don't disagree that the parking pedestals are often unattractive, but take them away and much of the minimal height we have downtown goes away. The Korean Vets "canyon" of 20ish story hotels become 10-15 floor hotels. Bridgestone Bldg. becomes what, 20 floors? If they'd put 5 floors of parking under (at street level) the 505 rather than beside it, how much taller would it appear?  I get the point, but there are times I wish the 505 had 15 levels of pedestal parking under it....

You could also argue for less parking requirements altogether and give developers the ability to build higher and add more units. 

• Like 2

I'm all for lessening parking requirements - as soon as we have a public transportation system that could realistically serve those folks. For every 20 something that could scooter to work there is a 30 something that has 2 toddlers that isn't giving up their car while at work. I also have watched excited bus riders, bicyclers get tired of the hassles, weather, etc. involved in those modes of travel. I work with someone who lived 3 blocks from our office. She maintained a parking space in the building for the rainy days, the 80 degree morning walks, the 20 degree morning walks. She was teased a lot, but was defiant. 

We may get to a car-less world, I'm just not sure it will be very soon. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

Uh...so? 

SoBro and Mid Town would be much (much much) more pleasant without all the vehicle amenities. Ditching the garages would be a massive upgrade even if it meant losing some height. 

You're totally correct. I may get too caught up in the practicalities/realities of implementing these visions of how Nashville should work.