Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

So true.... our aquarium may be smaller but it’s sure hella better.  And I grew up there... between Brookhaven and EastCobb. I love the Atlanta of my childhood. But that’s so far in the past ... I think lots of boosters of sunbelt cities just aren’t aware that the things that make yours a boomtown are also things that can make you forget the past a lot easier.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JK, but, Maybe they just need to burn it again and start over for the third time.  You guys know I jest. This is a city that has a drink called the burning of Atlanta...Southern Comfort & Hot Damn, so they still make "lite" of the fact.

I lived there for a while and I enjoyed my time there. It is just way to spread out for me, but the reason I think is that there were multiple municipalities competeing for the large office towers and the fact that the city of Atlanta and the County were not consolidated which will keep Nashville from making those mistakes Atlanta did.

Franklin ,Williamson, The Boro, Rutherford and Wilson do not seem to be in a hurry to build high-rises to compete with Nashville yet.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

They do tend to be a self-conscious and jealous lot, don't they?  I remember when Chattanooga built the Tennessee Aquarium, there was a veritable freak out in Atlanta that little ole Chatty had something they didn't.  Sure enough, and oh so predictably, several years later here comes Atlanta with their own aquarium proposal, which of course just had to be bigger and better.  They just can't let other southern cities have a thing.  Luckily for Nashville, it has something that can't be artificially replicated.

I doubt they can get pedal taverns in the Underground and this proposed new development doesn't seem to welcome that kind of 'trashy' vibe. To quote a part time Nashville musician, Girls just wanna have fun.

40787484363_81c67483f1_n.jpg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

With two brothers in the biz in Atlanta I can say Nashville is getting under their skin. Not that it’s a threat to them right now but they are very envious that Nashville has become the chic alternative to them.. it’d be bad enough that they would kill for a lower Broad in the heart of Atlanta.  They’ve tried multiple times with underground. And really made an effort with centennial park. But they lost their biggest hub of activity.  Sorry, but midtown is no substitute for what Buckhead used to be. And Nashville is so much more compact. Thirty years ago Atlanta had the BEST nightclub scene in the South. People could walk to any of five dozen bars. Now that whole 9 square block area is dead after dark. Atlanta nightlife is so spread out now.

Re: nightlife, Atlanta is still a big deal in the south and recognized internationally. The dance music scene back in the rave days (which is to say, the 90s) was very strong and currently their House Music scene is big, particularly in the Afro House world (along with Johannesburg). House in the Park in Grant Park is a good example, it's a very different thing than the "EDM Festival" culture/plague.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e-dub said:

Re: nightlife, Atlanta is still a big deal in the south and recognized internationally. The dance music scene back in the rave days (which is to say, the 90s) was very strong and currently their House Music scene is big, particularly in the Afro House world (along with Johannesburg). House in the Park in Grant Park is a good example, it's a very different thing than the "EDM Festival" culture/plague.

That description of House in the Park reminds me of the Chosen Few Picnic here in Chicago. 

http://chosenfewdjs.com/

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 8:37 AM, smeagolsfree said:

JK, but, Maybe they just need to burn it again and start over for the third time.  You guys know I jest. This is a city that has a drink called the burning of Atlanta...Southern Comfort & Hot Damn, so they still make "lite" of the fact.

I lived there for a while and I enjoyed my time there. It is just way to spread out for me, but the reason I think is that there were multiple municipalities competeing for the large office towers and the fact that the city of Atlanta and the County were not consolidated which will keep Nashville from making those mistakes Atlanta did.

Franklin ,Williamson, The Boro, Rutherford and Wilson do not seem to be in a hurry to build high-rises to compete with Nashville yet.

While I do agree that not having the city/county consolidated has been detrimental, it has also been a blessing in some ways. It keeps the premier locations (NoFo, ATL, Cobb, etc.) trying to improve themselves and stay relevant. I don't think ATL will ever have the uber dominant position it once had, but it will still by far be the largest metro for a long time to come, and it will always be a fierce competitor in business and football (Go dawgs and panthers).

8 minutes ago, OnePointEast said:

So according to the NPD, 1001 Church tower will have an opening date on Q1 of 2024. Is that news or was that already published here? That seems pretty far away, or is a tower of that size a three year build out?

Is this the tower on the opposite side of Church from Amazon that was recently upped to like 40 floors? Makes sense for 2024 since it doesn't seem like they are starting soon. 

1001 Church is Amazon Tower 1.

There is no way it will take that long to build & open with where they are at now unless there are some major logistical hurdles we don't know about with the construction of "Upper 10th St" or some other critical infrastructure like that. 

Now I could believe a Q1 2024 opening of the Four Seasons. It is supposed to be much taller, residential/hotel takes longer than office, and right now they barely have a foundation. 

Edited by NashWellington11

Amazon Tower One (20 stories, 366') update.  Steel superstructure up to 4th floor above Viaduct level.

Looking NE from Church Street Viaduct where it crosses over CSX tracks:
186452693_AmazonOneOct192091.thumb.jpg.97da15906c676910f0d73f1f8953b5c0.jpg

Looking west from Church Street Viaduct, just east of where it crosses over 10th Ave. North:
598765814_AmazonOneOct192092.thumb.jpg.c8a86a38c156595a2e2cde2236dbdb55.jpg

Looking NW from Church Street Viaduct near 9th Ave. North:
1950392521_AmazonOneOct192093.thumb.jpg.d7a00890a4c9ae65b3f3d30e833dd905.jpg

Looking south from parking lot near intersection of 10th Ave. North and Union St:
511247252_AmazonOneOct192094.thumb.jpg.f1d22d84ba8ad1aaeaa12b922fe74fcf.jpg

Looking NE from intersection of Porter St. and 11th Ave. North:
1530913700_AmazonOneOct192095.thumb.jpg.f5b85b79d971113bc35146c7dbbfc722.jpg
I always appreciate it when someone reminds me of the height!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Salbato said:

1001 Church Street should be on the south side across from Amazon.

You are correct. I misread. 1001 is across from the Amazon Tower going up now. 

See the Post: https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21046303/nashville-yards-office-tower-work-starts

29 minutes ago, NashWellington11 said:

You are correct. I misread. 1001 is across from the Amazon Tower going up now. 

See the Post: https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21046303/nashville-yards-office-tower-work-starts

It does seem like that story is inaccurate though. I don't think there is already a structural permit issued for the tower across church from Amazon. (This tower needs a name!)