Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

Lifeway buyer has been buying up property by the campus.  Looks like they are going to get the entire block across the street from YMCA where the Sicilian Pizza place is.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/09/lifeway-buyers-snagging-nearby-land.html

Tapping my foot and glaring in the direction of Capitol View. 

This seems like the best bet, one of the building has 40,000 sq ft space for a grocery

• Like 1

I let's back up a little. Did you just say two tracks were underground? So there are long abandoned Tran tunnels in downtown.  Sounds like someone needs to do some urban spelunking. 

I seem to remember this building being built on 'stilts', or columns and opened up with train tracks beneath the building, but at the current ground level. In other words, it was built over the tracks,but with the tracks still in place. Someone apparently covered up the building at ground level, later. The tracks may still be in there.

Nashville_Lifeway_Campus_01.thumb.jpg.c1

I let's back up a little. Did you just say two tracks were underground? So there are long abandoned Tran tunnels in downtown.  Sounds like someone needs to do some urban spelunking. 

My bad, choice of wording was misleading; it's been amended to state more clearly what I had intended.

"...passing underground below street-level grade, beneath the parking plaza (closer the former main Post Office.."

The "east-most " or left-most track, with respect to Mark's photo vantage point, had been at the same gulch plane, basically parallel to the other north-south tracks, but it was placed to pass under Broadway, and beneath the current parking plaza, much of which remains in place.  That east-most track ran beneath at the base of what we all now recognize as the Flying Saucer Draught [beer] Emporium (pub & restaurant), which had been the former facility which handled transfer of baggage via the long defunct Railway Express Agency (REA) and temporary billeting for passenger-train crew on layover between duty periods.  Tenth Ave actually runs along the surface above the portion of earth that lies immediately next to (east of) the excavation for that track.  Little evidence of this track remains, and while it possibly could be recognized upon inspection, I would not venture down under there, if I were you.  I myself roamed around there alone one night back in early winter 1973, when it was still considered "safe", even though it was indeed spooky and filthy, especially in the then-abandoned cavernous areas immediately beneath the station itself.

Next time you're at the Flying Saucer, stand and face the north end of that stone structure, near the entrance to Union Station Hotel at the parking plaza.  Then simply envision a north-south path to coincide with the center-line of the north end of Flying Saucer bldg.  This would approximate the location of the track which ran farthest from the depot proper, and had remained in use for through freights long after the discontinuance of passenger service ─ at least until the early '80s, before being ripped up entirely, along with other nearby parallel tracks.  During the first half of my existence, this and other close-by tracks could be partially observed simply by standing on the south walkway on Broad at the open garden area, below grade (ground level) and next to the base of the station building.  You then had to look at an angle beneath the iron fence of the parking area, in order to observe the track farthest from the station, as the view of this track was mostly obscured by the presence of parking area overhead.  Next to that farthest track were 2 others ─ one which passed just beneath the parking plaza at its edge with the current open garden area, and one which passed directly along the ground in the current garden area (full view from the Broadway railing above).  These 2 tracks had been station main tracks 9 and 10.  (the actual garden area forms part of the canyon where these three below-grade ground-level tracks used to be)  It might be possible to unearth some photos of scenes along the station under, but that would take too much scholarly research at this point in time. Hope this clarifies.
-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

.This comes as no surprise and have been anticipating this for a couple of months. We can just add another parcel to the MDHA properties up for bid.

My question to William that he is working on an answer is if the three parcels on RMH would be bidder together or three separate parcels. I hope it is three.

Now, the question is will Lifeway stay put or locate elsewhere. The news here is that their property is about to be closed on by the investor group.

• Like 1

I actually feel good about this.  I was never convinced that the KVB/1st Avenue site was the best fit for them, nor the district.  That corner would seem to be much better suited for hotel w/ restaurant/entertainment on first few floors.  I think the idea of staying as a lessee with the Uptown Development would make sense in that it would retain some of the Southern Baptist sense of history on that site, and the employees would be more comfortable with the traffic flow, surrounding neighborhood, etc.  But, then again, perhaps they will be looking at at one of the sections of Capitol View or one of the segments of land in the mid-Gulch between McGavock and Charlotte, or maybe something on the east side around I-24/65 and Main Street near where the Shoney's is today.  

.This comes as no surprise and have been anticipating this for a couple of months. We can just add another parcel to the MDHA properties up for bid.

My question to William that he is working on an answer is if the three parcels on RMH would be bidder together or three separate parcels. I hope it is three.

Now, the question is will Lifeway stay put or locate elsewhere. The news here is that their property is about to be closed on by the investor group.

From what I understand, they're definitely moving. There will be an interim where they lease back a portion of the current property while the new building (wherever that will be / I fully expect it to be somewhere in the CBD) is under construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am trying to locate more on this.  Currently it is behind the paywall at NashvilleBusinessJournal.com

Exclusive: Only one investor remains in deal for LifeWay campus

17 November 2015-08:36

In a major shake-up, there is only one investor still pursuing a potential $125 million purchase of the downtown Nashville campus of LifeWay Christian Resources, a deal that would immediately create one of the city's largest development sites. Southwest Value Partners, a real estate investment firm co-founded by the owner of an NBA team, has quickly taken full control of the effort to buy LifeWay's campus just one month after we first reported that the company had joined the original investor...