Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

33 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Grand Hyatt (23 stories, 591 rooms) update.  Up to 5th floor along Broadway,  7th floor along railroad tracks.

The 5th floor is the top of the “pedestal” so this should start to rise faster as they consolidate to the main L shaped tower.

• Like 3

On 4/12/2019 at 2:27 PM, PHofKS said:

Looks like Amazon is building a 'pit of misery' in their basement!! Don't dare ask for time off!

On 4/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, MLBrumby said:

Weird! I obviously know very little about big building construction, but even that just looks like someone is winging it.  Just dig a hole and put some sticks in it. Why not? There are Nashvillians who consider that art. 

@PHofKS, I think that's the Asurion building.  Right?  I mean, if I want to avoid the pit I need to know which company has it!

I think the city paid a LOT of money for those sticks in the pit of misery!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeemonBruhn said:

People don’t “wing” construction of a high rise tower.

Duh!  You don't say! Nothing gets past you, huh?

Here's a helpful explanation to the clueless like you... it was a comment on the randomness of the 'sticks' in the recessed pit.  Given that you also don't have any apparent knowledge of high rise construction, you'd have been better off leaving the comment to someone who can explain why the work site appeared to be so random. 

Edited by MLBrumby

Judgy?  I escalated that? 

I "don't know who I'm talking to"?  You're right. You come across as a garden variety jerk. I'll allow that you might not be. Of course, you could have saved us all from making that assumption if you had just given this explanation in the first place.

To state the obvious, I don't think anyone here thought that construction of a multi-million tower was really random. 

16 minutes ago, DeemonBruhn said:

You escalated that quickly. You have no idea who you are talking to with your self righteous attitude.

It’s called a mat foundation. It’s a shallow foundation system intended to spread out a massive load like an office core without drilling down to the rock. The “randomness” is just the rebar bundles, which are spaced closer then what we typically see for columns, which have a more cage type form spaced much further apart.

This is a funny situation:

If you (DeemonBruhn) were making a joke and your post about 'winging it' was meant to be read in a Ron Swanson voice - then you're right that ML totally overacted.

On the other hand, if you meant your 'winging it' post to be a sincere reaction to ML's comment about 'stick randomness' - then you're the one that missed the joke and is being "self righteous". 

I, for one, honestly have no idea which is the case, which makes for an interesting internet thread and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I will note, however, that all of this confusion could have been avoided if instead of making the (joke/snide comment) about people not winging it on construction sites, you could have just started with the comment about mat foundations instead of using it in order to bolster your credibility after the beginnings of the flame war had already ignited.

Then again, if your original comment was in fact a joke meant to be read in a Ron Swanson voice, then I certainly wouldn't want to discourage it --which is what makes this dilemma such a funny situation.

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

This is a funny situation:

If you (DeemonBruhn) were making a joke and your post about 'winging it' was meant to be read in a Ron Swanson voice - then you're right that ML totally overacted.

On the other hand, if you meant your 'winging it' post to be a sincere reaction to ML's comment about 'stick randomness' - then you're the one that missed the joke and is being "self righteous". 

I, for one, honestly have no idea which is the case, which makes for an interesting internet thread and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I will note, however, that all of this confusion could have been avoided if instead of making the (joke/snide comment) about people not winging it on construction sites, you could have just started with the comment about mat foundations instead of using it in order to bolster your credibility after the beginnings of the flame war had already ignited.

Then again, if your original comment was in fact a joke meant to be read in a Ron Swanson voice, then I certainly wouldn't want to discourage it --which is what makes this dilemma such a funny situation.

I enjoy the informal spirit of the comments made on this forum, but every once in a while someone doesn't get get the 'gist' of the humor 'unseriousness' or sarcasm intended behind the post. That is something that's not a given with the written word. One of the productive aspects of this forum (to me) is to hear from knowledgeable people from the industry. 

I enjoy the informal spirit of the comments made on this forum, but every once in a while someone doesn't get get the 'gist' of the humor 'unseriousness' or sarcasm intended behind the post. That is something that's not a given with the written word. One of the productive aspects of this forum (to me) is to hear from knowledgeable people from the industry. 

Perhaps a sarcasm font is needed. The initial comment was intended to have some snark, but was also intended to be playful. In re-reading I understand how that was misconstrued.

I definitely reacted negatively to “here is a helpful explanation to the clueless like you.”
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1