Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

6 minutes ago, NashWellington11 said:

$175 million is about right. It is certainly not anything  over the top for a building like this.

• Asurion's new HQ is estimated to cost $285 million. [Source]
  • Pinnacle at Symphony Place sold in 2013 for $152 million. [Source]
  • Fifth Third Center sold in 2017 for $120 million. [Source]

Gulch Union’s office tower, also 20 stories, costs $100 million to build. Pinnacle is much taller.

15 hours ago, Andy20 said:

Gulch Union’s office tower, also 20 stories, costs $100 million to build. Pinnacle is much taller.

True. But the number of stories is only one of many factors that affect how much a building costs to construct. Floor plate size, steel/reinforced concrete, underground parking, site specific factors,  etc. all play a role. Just because Amazon is spending $75 million more than the Gulch Union tower and both are the same height does not mean Amazon is being extravagant, it just means that they are spending more money. There could be any number of reasons why. In Amazon's case, they are building the base for Tower 2 (parking garage) at the same time as they are building Tower 1. The $175 million loan most likely covers both Tower 1 and the base for Tower 2.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I’m sure this has been discusssed previously...but has Amazon given a reason for not going ahead and building the 2nd tower right away?  Surely not all 5000 will fit in tower 1.  Why not go ahead and build the 2nd tower while you have the manpower and 2019 prices?

I guess we will see here in the next month or two if that is actually the plan. This side of the garage is something like 6 floors above church street so they’ve got time to get permits for the tower in the mean time. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, erdichia said:

Out of curiosity, what’s the advantage for steel in an office tower?

I'm not an expert on this, but I've been wondering whether Trump's steel tariffs have pushed up the cost of steel frame towers.     We have 3 large steel structures rising now (5th & B, Amazon and Fed Courthouse).      Is it possible these projects placed their steel orders before the tariffs went into effect?  

On 8/22/2019 at 9:50 PM, erdichia said:

Out of curiosity, what’s the advantage for steel in an office tower?

Speed, cost, supply chain all play a role. I don’t know how much the tariffs play a role though. Concrete can achieve some serious spans as well using post-tensioned concrete. The two biggest items for an office tower using steel rather that concrete is cost and sound. Erecting steel takes less time so less manpower hours to erect so overall it’s cheaper. Concrete is used in residential towers because of its sound transmission characteristics. It’s more expensive, but transfers sound less so it’s good for dwelling units. Offices aren’t worried as much about sound and tenants that are can include insulation in their build outs.

There is also fire-rating related issues that differ between Business use buildings and Residential use buildings that help determine which material to use

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Speed, cost, supply chain all play a role. I don’t know how much the tariffs play a role though. Concrete can achieve some serious spans as well using post-tensioned concrete. The two biggest items for an office tower using steel rather that concrete is cost and sound. Erecting steel takes less time so less manpower hours to erect so overall it’s cheaper. Concrete is used in residential towers because of its sound transmission characteristics. It’s more expensive, but transfers sound less so it’s good for dwelling units. Offices aren’t worried as much about sound and tenants that are can include insulation in their build outs.

There is also fire-rating related issues that differ between Business use buildings and Residential use buildings that help determine which material to use

This feels like a dumb question, but what are the floors made out of in a “steel” building? I know lots of offices have raised floors so not necessarily talking what I actually walk on, but like what keeps the fire from traveling floors quickly and spans between the steel structure?