Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

26 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

My first, cynical, thought was, did the Nashville Yards folks not donate enough money to our new mayor's campaign? revenge?

He’s still upset that the city gave them money to help out with infrastructure costs.

This quote from a former Metro official is troubling: 

"There’s uncertainty as to what the rules of engagement are going forward," said a former Metro official close to the deal. "If you’re going to make a major investment in the city, you need some certainty everybody’s going to do their job with statutes and permits and there aren’t any artificial barriers being put up. People are genuinely concerned with how it’s going to go.”

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

What I suspected and now confirmed is Cooper is a micromanaging idiot. This will end up back firing on him big time especially if he tries to do the same thing with the school board. If he shoves his ugly bushy eyebrows into that hornets nest he will indeed get stung.

The media on all sides are starting to dig into his antics and I think this may only be the start of a lot of things he is trying to do  behind the scenes. After a while his plate will run over he will not be able to run the city effectively if he is micromanaging every aspect of Planning, The Fair board, Public works , Police and what ever else you want to throw out there. 

This will also have a negative impact on employees and they will start leaving in droves if this continues as they will not be able to do the job they were hired for and will eventually end up in some MAJOR law suites against the city if they are not already in progress.

I especially like how you attack his personal appearance here. It lets me know you are staying objective in your disagreement. 

Is Mayor Cooper trying to kill Nashville's momentum?  Is Charlotte, NC bank rolling his office?  Did Austin, TX interfere in the Nashville mayoral election?  :)

Okay, I know deep down it's not funny.  What he's doing is building up an image that under his leadership Nashville will not honor it's commitments and if he "personally" doesn't like something he's going to get in the way.  It's stunning that he's concerned about the lighting and signage that will be on the buildings in Nashville Yards, saying it will make Nashville look like a carnival, when there is, among other clownish signs, one neon sign on Broadway that has flying pigs.... Which I personally don't have a problem with, but lets keep perspective here Mr. Mayor.

What they are talking about doing in Nashville Yards is more along the lines of Time Square on a much smaller scale.  The Capital One Center in DC (formerly Verizon Center, formerly MCI Center) has the type of signage it appears that developers are proposing for the buildings in Nashville Yards.  I've yet to hear anyone complain about them being clownish or like a circus.  If anything, the signs help to draw people in and add atmosphere to an otherwise drab building.  The only complaint has been from nearby residents saying that they are too bright to be on/or flashing  all night.  So, I believe the signs are turned off or are static after 1:00 AM or 2:00 AM.   My suggestion would have been get room darkening draperies or shades....

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, JoeyX said:

I'm confused per the forum rules can we post insults or not?

Did you create an account and make your first post just to defend the mayor's eyebrows, or are you just a stickler for rules?  

I like the mayor's eyebrows, btw. It gives him a little bit of a Yosemite Sam spice that keeps him from being a pure Porky Pig/Elmer Fudd type caricature. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think we have been calling things what they are for a long time on here. Mayor Cooper IMO is being very reckless in what he is doing. Now the Bushy eyebrows may be his trade mark, who know, but I would have fired my barber a long time ago.

But the things he is doing right now is going to cause moral in the city ranks to flounder. That happens whenever you have a micro manager at the wheel. Again, if Ingram loses the MLS franchise because of this, I can guarantee there will be at least a 300 million dollar lawsuit against the city and the city may lose. So much for fiscal responsibility . Even if there is no signed paper work, the public meetings and votes by council would be enough to show breech of contract I would think by the Mayors office. I am no lawyer, but I know there are some on this board.

The same goes for some of the other agreements like Amazon, and Asurion. I do not understand how a Mayor can go back and terminate agreements made by previous Councils and Mayors without there being legal repercussions. I think the man may be playing with fire. I know he is a lawyer, but is he a good lawyer and the right kind of lawyer to tackle these lawsuits if they occur.

If Nashville is sued on multiple fronts by Developer, MLS, and others does Metro have the resources to fight them all and how much money would this cost the taxpayers. My guess will be many millions to fight and many more millions if they lose, maybe hundreds of millions. I may be putting the cart before the horse, but just doing some soothsaying here. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, JoeyX said:

I'm confused per the forum rules can we post insults or not?

I read the rules and I don't think the original post breaks the rules. It would be different I think if the he had instead insulted a fellow member of the forum. 

My comment wasn't in regards to any rule infraction. Instead, I just thought it was really petty and immature to devolve into commenting on someones looks because you disagree with their policies. Not to mention coming from a moderator on the board. 

6 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Bridgestone Arena, the MCC, and the future Museum of African American Music all have, or will have these signs. Cooper is being ridiculous. 

There's also a giant digital billboard just up the street across from Broadwest called THE NASHVILLE SIGN. Who cares? This isn't Mayberry. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think we have been calling things what they are for a long time on here. Mayor Cooper IMO is being very reckless in what he is doing. Now the Bushy eyebrows may be his trade mark, who know, but I would have fired my barber a long time ago.

But the things he is doing right now is going to cause moral in the city ranks to flounder. That happens whenever you have a micro manager at the wheel. Again, if Ingram loses the MLS franchise because of this, I can guarantee there will be at least a 300 million dollar lawsuit against the city and the city may lose. So much for fiscal responsibility . Even if there is no signed paper work, the public meetings and votes by council would be enough to show breech of contract I would think by the Mayors office. I am no lawyer, but I know there are some on this board.

The same goes for some of the other agreements like Amazon, and Asurion. I do not understand how a Mayor can go back and terminate agreements made by previous Councils and Mayors without there being legal repercussions. I think the man may be playing with fire. I know he is a lawyer, but is he a good lawyer and the right kind of lawyer to tackle these lawsuits if they occur.

If Nashville is sued on multiple fronts by Developer, MLS, and others does Metro have the resources to fight them all and how much money would this cost the taxpayers. My guess will be many millions to fight and many more millions if they lose, maybe hundreds of millions. I may be putting the cart before the horse, but just doing some soothsaying here. 

He hasn’t terminated anything with respect to Amazon, but is making the developers life hell by holding up the signage permits, and Asurion was never approved through Council. He’s been an absolute disaster thus far with respect to development and messaging to the business community, to the point where I’m wondering if there is any sort of ulterior motive involved. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

All good points. And to further these points, he is showing all businesses and developers that there is ZERO reason to play ball with him. He will not compromise. He's going to get his way 100% or he is going to be obstructive. His way is often impossible to fulfill, leaving those trying to work through an  impossible situation where they will inevitably have to sue or take the fight public. There appears to be less concern now going public with issues with him because there's nothing to lose - he doesn't negotiate from a rational place.

• Like 3