Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

20 minutes ago, NashWellington11 said:

If Amazon sticks with its precedent in other cities of not placing its name on the top of its towers, this stretch of buildings will be a refreshing change from the current trend of names plastered at the top of every new building.

"Looks Carnival like" - Mayor Cooper

• Haha 2

He thinks he has a mandate from a group of Nashvillians who are against growth. And before he was mayor, was he not a leader of the opposition to Giarratana's tall building at the homeless encampment park on Church Street? His actions are harming us but in his rather narrow mind he thinks he is saving us. Those signs are perfectly tasteful. He doesn't really care about that, he just wants to stick it to the big guy.

Edited by archilove
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

IMO... Mayor Cooper is one of them , old Nashville , save our fairgrounds, anti-growth, stuck in the last century guys. He is showing us all, he's on that team. He is going to do whatever he can , to bring this growth to an end. This is a sad situation.

Now you guys see why I'm really scared. These are all little symptoms of a bigger concern which is he might legitimately run off major generational tech job opportunities like Oracle coming here for the sake of his short term anti-growth agenda.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 4

Not casting aspersions on anyone here (or elsewhere), but these sorts of issues come up frequently... after elections, in this case Cooper was someone who made it quite clear about what he intended to do. He obviously made a play for the fairgrounds folks and the suburban people of similar feelings. Is it buyer's remorse, or worse, citizens who didn't even show up at polls 'to buy'.  I only saw the last candidate debates and heard a few local news reports regarding the candidates' stands. But even still, I have to say there was no doubt what John Cooper intended to do as mayor. There were not-so-subtle hints like "growing too fast" "make this growth work for everyone" "spread the wealth"... and then the alarming pitting of groups against each other. He made several comments before the election that the soccer stadium was being built at the expense of schools. Of course, I don't subscribe to that particular brand of populist progressivism... and I lamented the fact that Nashville has been putting up really poor choices during the last two mayoral races. And I can say I would not have voted for Cooper if I lived in Metro. Briley was a weak mayor, and he's a 'dry rag' when it comes to politicking. But I surely would have voted, as I always do here in Chattanooga.  I would have taken the lesser of the two evils (Briley). So who did the folks here vote for? 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Just now, DeemonBruhn said:

Microsoft had several developer presentations set up for the day they were here. After they met with the Mayor they cancelled the presentations and headed straight back to the airport and left Nashville.

You can draw your own conclusions on the specifics that occurred.

Yikes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DeemonBruhn said:

Microsoft had several developer presentations set up for the day they were here. After they met with the Mayor they cancelled the presentations and headed straight back to the airport and left Nashville.

You can draw your own conclusions on the specifics that occurred.

do you know which develops were being pitched to them?

“There was once a Countryman who possessed the most wonderful Goose you can imagine, for every day when he visited the nest, the Goose had laid a beautiful, glittering, golden egg.

The Countryman took the eggs to market and soon began to get rich. But it was not long before he grew impatient with the Goose because she gave him only a single golden egg a day. He was not getting rich fast enough.

Then one day, after he had finished counting his money, the idea came to him that he could get all the golden eggs at once by killing the Goose and cutting it open. But when the deed was done, not a single golden egg did he find, and his precious Goose was dead.”

Could we learn something from Aesop?

• Like 3