Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Where the hole filled with water is, is the hole for the 18 story residential building.

It’s pretty amazing how much water was pouring into that hole. I stood and watched it for a little while. It was like a couple of dozen mini-waterfalls just leaching out of the bedrock. Just a stab in the dark here, but I would guess it’s about 200 gallons a minute. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 10:43 PM, nashvillwill said:

It’s pretty amazing how much water was pouring into that hole. I stood and watched it for a little while. It was like a couple of dozen mini-waterfalls just leaching out of the bedrock. Just a stab in the dark here, but I would guess it’s about 200 gallons a minute. 

How do buildings with deep garages handle that? Do they have to run sump pumps?

12 hours ago, AronG said:

How do buildings with deep garages handle that? Do they have to run sump pumps?

They line the walls of the hole with shotcrete. This puts a stop to the incoming water (for the most part) as well as reinforcing the foundation walls. If you look at my picture, you can see a portion of the excavated hole (near the building) has been lined with shotcrete. No leaking there. The portion around the wall has not been lined with shotcrete yet, and that is where all the water is coming in. I imagine there will always be some tolerable amount of water intrusion into a hole that deep, but lining the walls with the shotcrete is a good way to essentially stop it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2018 at 11:38 PM, nashvillwill said:

They line the walls of the hole with shotcrete. This puts a stop to the incoming water (for the most part) as well as reinforcing the foundation walls. If you look at my picture, you can see a portion of the excavated hole (near the building) has been lined with shotcrete. No leaking there. The portion around the wall has not been lined with shotcrete yet, and that is where all the water is coming in. I imagine there will always be some tolerable amount of water intrusion into a hole that deep, but lining the walls with the shotcrete is a good way to essentially stop it. 

I know we have sump pumps in Terrazzo's underground garage and I would guess every building would have to have something.  Water moves downhill and down a hole so eventually there would be water in the hole which must be pumped out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow missed this interview that William Williams of The Post had with Joe Bucher of Gresham Smith + Partners, who is working on the design of Nashville Yards.  He talks about the double decker 10th Ave.  North, the elevated pedestrian walkway hugging the railroad tracks on the west side of the project,  how Commerce Street will be fully activated,  a piazza space at Commerce's terminus, how they are utilizing material selection throughout the development that will harken back to the railyards and historic Nashville architecture,  and more....

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/21028760/designing-a-true-urban-experience

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 10:09 AM, markhollin said:

Somehow missed this interview that William Williams of The Post had with Joe Bucher of Gresham Smith + Partners, who is working on the design of Nashville Yards.  He talks about the double decker 10th Ave.  North, the elevated pedestrian walkway hugging the railroad tracks on the west side of the project,  how Commerce Street will be fully activated,  a piazza space at Commerce's terminus, how they are utilizing material selection throughout the development that will harken back to the railyards and historic Nashville architecture,  and more....

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/21028760/designing-a-true-urban-experience

This is fantastic, thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So funny that this thread was at the bottom of page 2... because there's so much going on. And of course, the Amazon announcement stole some of the same topics that might otherwise have been posted for this project today.  So many renderings of the whole NY development on this thread. So I'm bumping it. 

They renderings have not changed in building placement and size as they have become more detailed over recent months. So the tallest building will probably not exceed that 34-story building as shown. That's the one I believe will get started with the two other midrise Jenga buildings as a result of today's announcement. 

• Like 3

Channel 4 reporting that Nashville will become home to Amazon's East Coast Hub of Operations

Amazon's new "Operations Center of Excellence" will be located at a 1 million-square-foot facility north of the Gulch where the Lifeway building was previously located. The 15-acre mixed-use development will house tech and management functions, including customer fulfillment, customer service and transportation.

According to the governor's office, this is the largest jobs announcement in the history of Tennessee and is projected to created more than 13,000 jobs in the state. Every direct job created by the project is expected to create an additional 1.6 jobs.

Who knew there would be an East Coast Hub of Operations *and* two HQs? I had heard on this morning's news that the governor had a major announcement today.

David

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, titanhog said:

You know what's amazing to me?  When SVP bought this site, we were all thinking a 10-20 year buildout.  Now...there's a good chance this is going to look like a super-sized 5th & Broadway project over the next 2-3 years.  Crazy how things can suddenly turn on a dime.

That occurred to me, too! Also, the heights of at least one, if not all of the proposed buildings, may increase.

• Like 2

I just put all the buildings facing the railyards as under construction. I figured that will now be a safe bet as all of the infrastructure work is underway and they snagged a tenant for the big boy according to the Tennessean. I think we all knew that would be the building anyway.

Will we get a new tallest out of this?......Who knows, but I am not holding my breath. In this town they can build a 70 story and the blasted thing will still end up being shorter than 500'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1