Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

This would be the absolute perfect spot for a downtown movie theater.  They would rake in cash just off convention goers alone, not to mention rainy-day Broadway tourists, date night/honky-tonkin combos, and the increasing number of downtown residents.  

I don't understand the appeal of putting an IKEA in the core, when furniture shopping is such an irregular occurrence for most people (I [possibly wrongly] assume).  Every 3 to 8 years when I need a new couch, or end table, or shelving unit for whatever reason, I'm happy to drive 5 miles outside of town to make the purchase, or better still, make the purchase online and have it shipped.  Considering how much I've heard about how many hundreds of miles people are willing to drive in order to get to an IKEA, seems like there would be limited value in paying for such prime real estate.  That said, I would make the same argument about a car dealership occupying a bunch of space in the core, and they seem to be doing alright.  Just seems like a waste to me for irregular and/or major purchases that people would be more willing to shop around and travel. 

• Like 4

This would be the absolute perfect spot for a downtown movie theater.  They would rake in cash just off convention goers alone, not to mention rainy-day Broadway tourists, date night/honky-tonkin combos, and the increasing number of downtown residents.  

I don't understand the appeal of putting an IKEA in the core, when furniture shopping is such an irregular occurrence for most people (I [possibly wrongly] assume).  Every 3 to 8 years when I need a new couch, or end table, or shelving unit for whatever reason, I'm happy to drive 5 miles outside of town to make the purchase, or better still, make the purchase online and have it shipped.  Considering how much I've heard about how many hundreds of miles people are willing to drive in order to get to an IKEA, seems like there would be limited value in paying for such prime real estate.  That said, I would make the same argument about a car dealership occupying a bunch of space in the core, and they seem to be doing alright.  Just seems like a waste to me for irregular and/or major purchases that people would be more willing to shop around and travel. 

Maybe he was just being facetious about the Ikea thing (at least I hope so).  That might be suited for the Hill Center at Green Hills (between Green Hills Circle and Hillsboro Rd at Warfield), where they have so-called upscale "fashion" strip businesses along a narrow, divided roadway, with Whole Foods as an anchor; or maybe even better suited for Nashville West, where more open space for tenants can accommodate it.  In any event, it's probably a good fit for an outlying or suburban setting, for best use of the land, as far as Davidson Co. is concerned. Or one might more likely end up at Indian Springs (Hendersonville-Sumner), Cool Springs, or on the proposed expansion that you mentioned a while ago in the Cane Ridge area, rather than to have such a store taking up space DT..

Regardless of who the store appeals to, I'm not so certain that the CBD is quite ready for a return of furniture retail.  When the last of such stores DT, Harley-Holt, finally closed shop on Lower Broad, it already had been long reduced to nothing but an anachronism for that type of business in the district IMO (although many, if not most, might have been glad for that move).  As Nashv'l's CBD and near-town areas continue to escalate with development and surge, then perhaps the city could support a few trendy home furnishings stores in the immediate DT.  I'd prefer something like Dania to Ikea, personally, but it's not uncommon to find 3 or 4 of that type store in the DT's of regions of more advanced (and/or older) development in their CBD's;  I just don't think DT Nashv'l is quite there yet.

-==-

Wowzers...This man truly hates assembly required furniture!!

LOL! Just having fun. This could be a very exciting project. This would definitely give the visitor, and Nashville resident alike basically another district to visit etc...

Many major cities have "downtowns within downtown."  I think the would draw a lot of people from the north side.

• Like 1

As long as we're speculating, my hunch is that the Lifeway devopment will focus on elements that the nearby Buckingham and Capital View projects don't have -- Capital View will have a movie theater and likely grocer, and Buckingham might have a grocer, and the convention center redesign might have the upscale shopping. That might require a little more research and planning by the Lifeway developers, but it is a huge chunk of prime real estate -- they won't approach this lightly.

As long as we're speculating, my hunch is that the Lifeway devopment will focus on elements that the nearby Buckingham and Capital View projects don't have -- Capital View will have a movie theater and likely grocer, and Buckingham might have a grocer, and the convention center redesign might have the upscale shopping. That might require a little more research and planning by the Lifeway developers, but it is a huge chunk of prime real estate -- they won't approach this lightly.

Again, just as I had stated with Capital View, they had best get with some major and "capital" roadway infrastructure improvements, before they approve any development plan.  I think Avon Williams (TSU campus) needs to keep one eye open on that issue.

-==-

Am I the only one seeing this development as a potential HCA corporate relocation destination?

Well, with little doubt, it must be making some HCA heads turn beyond a "lateral" 90-degrees, but at this point only as a matter of postmortem circumstance.

-==-

Am I the only one seeing this development as a potential HCA corporate relocation destination?

I see HCA eventually building a new HQ building  on the big empty parking lot on Charlotte Avenue just behind their current HQ. It's just my sense of it based on their past history of  building modest administrative structures. I could see a couple of 20 story buildings on that lot and no more.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A bit of an update in the Tennessean...thanks to Getahn.

"This campus will be a lynch pin in the future development of downtown Nashville and has the potential to become a new gateway to the central business district."

Rainer said Uptown's planned project would involve a modern, forward-thinking design, which architecturally will incorporate historic charm of the existing properties and pay homage to Nashville's roots. It also would be environmentally green, technologically advanced and service oriented, he added.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/03/24/mixed-use-project-eyed-lifeways-acre-campus/70388558/

A bit of an update in the Tennessean...thanks to Getahn.

"This campus will be a lynch pin in the future development of downtown Nashville and has the potential to become a new gateway to the central business district."

Rainer said Uptown's planned project would involve a modern, forward-thinking design, which architecturally will incorporate historic charm of the existing properties and pay homage to Nashville's roots. It also would be environmentally green, technologically advanced and service oriented, he added.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/03/24/mixed-use-project-eyed-lifeways-acre-campus/70388558/

Article is from March....

• Like 1

You mean it's NOT March?  :blink:  I've lost track of about 4 months!

Sorry...I'm not exactly sure how this popped up when I was looking at the Tennessean today.  Oh well...this is for anyone who didn't read the article 4 months ago!! 

Don't fret;  hope its not "that" too embarrassin'...;)

• Like 1

You mean it's NOT March?  :blink:  I've lost track of about 4 months!

Sorry...I'm not exactly sure how this popped up when I was looking at the Tennessean today.  Oh well...this is for anyone who didn't read the article 4 months ago!! 

Sometimes they have articles linked based on what you are looking at, and they can be months old. 

I've nearly done it, too, before checking to see if someone else had already posted the link. Don't feel too bad!

• Like 1

Don't fret;  hope its not "that" too embarrassin'...;)

Sometimes they have articles linked based on what you are looking at, and they can be months old. 

I've nearly done it, too, before checking to see if someone else had already posted the link. Don't feel too bad!

Listen to us, now,..., as if implying that it should be "embarrassin' ", or that you should ."...feel bad", but not "too" much so.   Hope we didn't do mo' harm than good with our compassion. [smiles   :=)]

btw, remember I'm the one who misses idioms and catch phrases (like the embarrassin' moment when PHofKS said he "... got run over by the old age truck" earlier this month).

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Here's a brand new article about the soon-to-be-old Lifeway site.  Restaurants! Groceries!  Fashions! http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/07/27/grocery-restaurants-fashion-stores-likely-broadway-site/30722373/

Good follow-up, but I think you mean the Hippodrome Olds (B'way) rather than the Lifeway campus.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1