Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

On 10/7/2020 at 9:08 PM, Buildtall said:

I flew back into town late Monday night and could see the purple  lighting from a pretty good distance. I knew exactly which building I was looking at but wasn’t able to get a pic because of the angle.

It'll be pink the entire month of October for Breast Cancer Awareness (I'm aware it looks purple in the photo).  

On 10/14/2020 at 9:52 AM, Native said:

The developer wants a signed lease before going forward.  My sources say that will happen but the timing is murky.  

That makes it sound as though we're stuck with a 5-story shell of a tower until the developer gets a lease signed during uncertain economic times. Yikes. :tw_grimace:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rate they're staffing up isn't the main determinant of the timeline for the second tower. 

are you saying Amazon is not hiring at a fast rate, or they are hiring at a fast rate? What would other determinants of the second tower be?

Just guessing based on the situation (mostly COVID, but also a completely new effort at setting up new divisions in the company, and then of course hiring in a new city that's not been known for massive tech recruiting)... my guess is that it's been slowed down somewhat. I do think the second tower will be well underway by second quarter of '21. But I don't know a company (or person) who isn't back on their heels right now. All this is despite AMZN's dominant position in the current environment.  And then, let's not overlook the upcoming election... with two very very different political philosophies in the White House. Most companies are local... but companies like AMZN are global. I'm sure they have a whole division in the company completely dedicated to what the election will mean to their biz model. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see Smeags is on the case with the latest announcement by AEG (WW wrote about in the NP). I'm sure he'll leave the link, but we really aren't surprised by this, as the whole industry (from production to theater distribution) has been changed forever. Even before COVID, theaters were a dying business model. I won't be surprised if this plan gets a complete makeover before construction resumes. The article says AEG will restart next year with no timetable mentioned.  The concert venue may survive and maybe the hotel, but we'll see what happens later. Hate being a pessimist, but it doesn't look good. https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21143954/aeg-element-of-nashville-yards-put-on-hold

Edited by MLBrumby

More details from The Post's article about MGM Hotel/AEG District construction being put on pause:

Michael Roth, AEG vice president of communications, told the Post AEG “remains enthusiastic” about both the Nashville Yards project and the Nashville market in general. He said construction should resume next year.

“We have elected to pause briefly before proceeding to the next phase of construction," Roth said. "With the continued significant impacts of the COVID pandemic on our business and the economy more generally, we believe that the prospects for successful completion and opening of this exciting project will be best served by waiting until we are emerging from the pandemic before proceeding with the next phase. We do not have a definitive timetable yet, but expect that conditions will allow for a start of vertical construction sometime in 2021.”

For the site, AEG has been eyeing buildings to house entertainment venues, with a nine-screen Regal Cinemas as perhaps the anchor. Also in the mix could be a 4,000-seat concert venue, a small club accommodating about 800 patrons, a 240-room boutique MGM Hotel, a bowling club and various restaurants and bars. 

Roth declined to note if the components of the overall AEG project might be modified.

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 8.30.35 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

I doubt we're under risk of  Lake Palmer situation here with that magnificent pit they've created. Hopefully the uncertainty will lift next year and we can get going again.

What about the apartment towers though. Isn't there two of them in the plan? Seems like those would sell out well. I think are very viable as residential is still hot. Maybe they're too integrated and tied into the rest of the Yards so the apartments are on hold as well?