Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

My question is whether or not the towers shown (other than the Hyatt) are actual renders of what's coming or could / will change a lot?

No question this is still early and things will evolve... but this is more or less what is going forward.

Perhaps surprisingly to some, the most likely builder of a 700' tower could well be Pinnacle; they're in the midst of a merger right now. If things go well, they'll be more than twice the size they were when they built their first tower. I'm not sure of their leasing terms to know how much room they have to grow. 

• Like 4

This is off topic, but when and say when Bass Berry and Sims moves out of that building, Pinnacle will have plenty of room. I do not think BB & S will stay downtown.

If they do, then they will not be in the middle of the action. My guess is they will fly to Franklin. I hope not, but it is possible.

There will be a little more info coming out for the Nashville Yards projects on Monday. I cant say anything further about what is coming until then. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

This is off topic, but when and say when Bass Berry and Sims moves out of that building, Pinnacle will have plenty of room. I do not think BB & S will stay downtown.

If they do, then they will not be in the middle of the action. My guess is they will fly to Franklin. I hope not, but it is possible.

There will be a little more info coming out for the Nashville Yards projects on Monday. I cant say anything further about what is coming until then. 

I would be shocked if BBS moved to Franklin. It's a law firm, they need to be downtown.

• Like 2

Due to code and construction requirements costs to build towers explode when they exceed 440'. Our rental rates need to really increase or a massive user has to relocate to the city to build a building that tall. The risks are just too great.

1 minute ago, NoChesterHester said:

Due to code and construction requirements costs to build towers explode when they exceed 440'. Our rental rates need to really increase or a massive user has to relocate to the city to build a building that tall. The risks are just too great.

Why is 440' the magic number?

Why is 440' the magic number?

It is the point in the building code where three means of egress are required and various other life safety requirements kick in. Also, cladding starts to get really expensive because the wind pressures are greater.

Additionally, they are more difficult to build requiring really specialized expertise and the structure has to start to get a lot stiffer since they are so tall.

I appreciate all of the expert information given as to why tall buildings are so rare in Nashville.  Lord knows I'm nothing more than an armchair critic, so information like what NoChesterHester just shared is eye-opening.  It really does shine a light on the issue and show how much more daunting a feat it is to build that high.  That being said though, at the risk of sounding like a whiny little child... all the other cities get to have big tall buildings despite all those issues... why can't we??!  :P

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3