Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

So...the owner of an NBA franchise that currently plays in a 23 year old stadium just became the sole investor in a property a couple blocks up the street from where a professional sports team owns and operates one of the most successful arenas in the world in a town that has recently proven it's basketball draw enough to lock down the next decade of SEC tournaments....

Any chance we might be 3 or 4 years from seeing the Nashville Suns--or better yet, the Nashville Phoenix--suit up in uptown Nashville? Given Bridgestone and the Preds success, it seems reasonable that such a move could at least be a consideration, if not just a little leverage to begin negotiations for a new arena in Phoenix in a few years.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

So...the owner of an NBA franchise that currently plays in a 23 year old stadium just became the sole investor in a property a couple blocks up the street from where a professional sports team owns and operates one of the most successful arenas in the world in a town that has recently proven it's basketball draw enough to lock down the next decade of SEC tournaments....

Any chance we might be 3 or 4 years from seeing the Nashville Suns--or better yet, the Nashville Phoenix--suit up in uptown Nashville? Given Bridgestone and the Preds success, it seems reasonable that such a move could at least be a consideration, if not just a little leverage to begin negotiations for a new arena in Phoenix in a few years.  

Since the Predators completely control the arena per their agreement with the city, the only way an NBA franchise will come in is with their total approval.  In other words: not likely.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Since the Predators completely control the arena per their agreement with the city, the only way an NBA franchise will come in is with their total approval.  In other words: not likely.  

While I don't disagree with your conclusion necessarily, I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  I wasn't suggesting that the Suns play out of Bridgestone, but instead that they build a second competing/complementary arena on the life way site.  

8 hours ago, samsonh said:

Zero chance of that, for lots of reasons.

Wouldn't say zero chance, but it's in the low single-digits for sure. Aside from Nashville probably being completely off the NBA's radar, and Nashville's market being a bit too small for two 41-game-per-year winter sports professional teams, I would imagine it would have to be nearly, if not completely privately funded...which is pretty much unheard of for a market our size in today's sports atmosphere.

Aside from that, I wouldn't want it. An NBA team and a separate arena would not be complimentary to the Preds or Bridgestone Arena. The NBA team would be competing for fans/money/sponsors with the Preds, and the arena would be competing for concerts and other events. And they would have to work out scheduling between the teams, because you definitely wouldn't want both playing on the same night.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

Basketball in a dome sucks.  Poor shooting bad views don't equate to success.

While I agree with no dome, the NCAA has shown that in order to get a men's final four event we would need a venue much larger than the arena we currently have.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

While I agree with no dome, the NCAA has shown that in order to get a men's final four event we would need a venue much larger than the arena we currently have.

Indeed, to get the money-grubbing NCAA to consider a Final Four, we would need a dome.  However, trying to make that same dome the home for a pro franchise's 42 game regular season schedule would grow tiresome quite fast.  The teams that tried it for a while (Detroit at the Silverdome, San Antonio at the Alamodome, and the Seattle at the Kingdome) all fled those environs for arenas that had much better sight lines, luxury suite revenue, etc. 

But, I DO think a domed football stadium would still be something to be considered strongly in our future.  Could not only host 10+ Titans games per year (between pre-season, regular season, and possibly some playoff contests), but also the possibilities of the Men's Final Four in basketball, more large-scale concerts year-round, certain huge conventions, the Super Bowl, etc.  

• Like 4

Please no more sports teams! Look how the Titans are a drain on this city, and the Preds never live up to potential by always losing early in the play-offs! We just built a stadium for a minor league baseball team! Please no NBA! Please no MLB! These professional sports social welfare programs are getting a bit much! I am tired of public funds being spent on private enterprise.

How about some money to expand the zoo to a world class zoo? How about public transportation? How about a new performing arts center? How about some road improvements? Why is everything now about sports?

• Like 3

As well it should, apparently people actually visit Nashville from far away to see our zoo, which, I had no idea.  But a dome over the Nissan stadium would cost about as much as the AMP.  A huge public expenditure to subsidize a hugely profitable business whose owners are egotistical jerks.  

People love sports because it stimulates some primitive centers in their brains, the same reason they love celebrity gossip.  I hope the latter never figures out some way to attract taxpayer subsidies.

• Like 2

If anything the Titans sucking could be better for Nashville tourism. It gives the opposing team a reason to come to Nashville, and they are guaranteed to win haha.  Just look at how many away fans are here each game. I would like to see how much revenue Nashville sports brings to the city. I am guessing people would change their minds on sports teams if they saw those numbers. For the Vandy game they said Wild Horse had 2,000 Texas A&M fans in it, and had to turn away an additional 2,000. They also show the city during games on TV, which is great advertising. 

That being said, I don't want an MLB team, but then again I hate being bored. 

• Like 2